Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zwift setup: veteran tips?
Quote | Reply
Ok, I'm doing my cardiac rehab (walking for now) on the treadmill with zwift. I've toyed with zwift before, but I'm not an indoor guy most of the time. So, I've never gotten into it.

I have a surface pro, ant+ dongle / footpod/hrm, a 40" TV on the wall, and zwift companion on my samsung. I'm running zwift full screen on the TV in single display mode, mostly because I have better luck with screenshots not coming out all-black that way.

Everything runs fine. What am I missing?

Are there companion apps (pc or android) that make the ux better, or expand the system capabilities?

Are there better ways to use both screens (laptop + TV)?

I need a better way to mount my android on the TM....the charging cable gets in the way of just setting it on the TM ledge. Frankly, I need a more functional keyboard than the attached surface pro keyboard---Bluetooth seems the way to go, yes? Thoughts on solutions for either?

How do y'all message while on the TM? I can see the bike being a little easier with an over table...im doing good to hit the right turn button while on the TM.

I've read all slowman's "intro to zwift" articles. I haven't picked up the ST kit, yet though.

I tried some searches... But, there's like 4 billion hits for zwift.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift setup: veteran tips? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think you're missing anything. Sounds like a decent setup.

To be quite honest, for as much as I love cycling in Zwift, I find running in Zwift to be pretty boring. I do have Zwift running on an iPad when I'm on the treadmill, but only because it's the easiest way to upload the run to Strava and Training Peaks afterwards. There's just nothing interesting going on on the screen, and no real useful data being displayed that I can't see on the treadmill display. If they'd at least display power from my Stryd footpod, that would be something worth looking at.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was chatting with someone on Zwift when It suddenly dawned on me that they were on a handcycle. I was curious how the managed to message and the said they used voice to text. I am not sure what device/app they used but maybe this is useful?
https://forums.zwift.com/t/voice-to-text/5499/3
I am using a logitech K380 for my cycling it connects via bluetooth without a dongle, seems uaffected by sweat and the batterys last along time.
I have thought about running zwift companion app on a large screen via a Android emulator I have some experience with bluestacks.
https://www.bluestacks.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift setup: veteran tips? [mikemelbrooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As awesome as Zwift is, I find it can get boring so generally watch Netflix during training sessions. Have an old laptop (Windows with ANT+ dongle) running Zwift on a table beside me; TV in front to watch movies etc. When I I just want to ride in the game (no movies) I connect an HDMI cable btween the laptop and TV, and watch Zwift on the big screen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
before we go further. what kind of treadmill are you on? specifically, does it emit a bluetooth signal?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Are there companion apps (pc or android) that make the ux better, or expand the system capabilities?

How do y'all message while on the TM? I can see the bike being a little easier with an over table...im doing good to hit the right turn button while on the TM.

My usual setup is Macbook Pro with an Ant dongle for the bike's sensors including PM and controllable trainer.
If I need to message another rider I'll usually fire up the zwift companion app on my phone and use it to do messaging etc. That way I'm not reaching over the computer keyboard and trying to make sense while not really balanced.

I made a [ shaped table that holds the laptop above the bars and allows a fan to blow straight at me but even then it's easier to just use the phone for immediate interactive things.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sound like you have everything you need to make it work.

My run setup
  • TV mounted above treadmill
  • Hydraulic laptop extension arm mounted to workbench (swings out over treadmill)
  • Velcro tape on the bottom of the laptop and top of extension surface
  • Ethernet cable and power cable taped nicely along the arm for full range of motion
  • Not pictured, I added a sound bar sitting in front of the laptop on the arm and used bungee cords to secure it.
  • Table beside treadmill
  • Not pictured, I added a 2.5 foot tall black towel shelf onto the white table. That gave me some extra surfaces to store things as well as a top surface that was much closer to hand level for grabbing water.
  • Blower mounted on the wall in front of the treadmill
  • Blower on the floor behind me
  • Both blowers turned on and off from a power strip reachable while running

Now that indoor running is over, I moved my laptop arm is back to my bike setup. I use it for keyboard / mouse and run zwift cycling from my desktop computer. I have two monitor arms that can move to any position and angle.

After 1,000+ run miles on Zwift and max level in less than three months, looking back I would say running on Zwift would be incredibly boring if that was all I used. Netflix, YouTube, music etc are the priority. After that, having Zwift running as an afterthought is nice and I do not regret using it. If I was not a cyclist and Zwift running was no longer free then I would not use it. Good luck!

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift setup: veteran tips? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hahahahahhaha....Um... No. :D

Its a 2001 proform 995sel. It does have ifit.com "technology". The old skool version that took signals from the audio track of dvds and VHS tapes to tell the controller what to do (speed up/down, grade change).
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Mar 14, 20 21:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Hahahahahhaha....Um... No. :D

Its a 2001 proform 995sel. It does have ifit.com "technology". The old skool version that took signals from the audio track of dvds and VHS tapes to tell the controller what to do (speed up/down, grade change).

i asked about this because a lot of newer mills have this, which means you wouldn't need to use a footpod. the other thing you can use, if you don't want to use a footpod, is a "runn" treadmill sensor. i'm going to be reviewing this, pretty quickly. but a footpod is the 3rd option. basically, you just have to tell zwift how fast the treadmill is going, and those are the 3 options.

are you up and running yet? with zwift? on the treadmill? what i would recommend, for starters, is to choose "watopia" as your world. after you log in, you're given a couple of options. obviously one options is RIDE or RUN and you'll choose RUN and i think this'll be a sticky option for you. you don't need to actively choose it.

then you choose your "world" and you'll always have 2 options: the "world" of the day, or "watopia". most runners are in watopia, so you'll need to toggle to that world.

then you'll click ROUTES and to the left you'll see a whole list of them, and if you want to at least start at the place where more runners hang out, it's May Field. that's the running track. you'll see a lot of us there. you can also always leave May Field at any time (you're given that choice at the same point on the track, every lap).

when i'm cycling i also see runners. for example, a couple of days ago i cycled up alp d'zwift and i saw runners on that route. you'll see runners everywhere. but May Field is the largest aggregation of runners on zwift, at least that i have found.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running... No. They told me to wait one more week. But, I am walking at 13:00 / mile for 1-2 hours per day (4.5 mph). Yesterday, I managed to get my hr up to 144 for the first time. It's been slowly increasing by a few beats per day, as I get more comfortable with it. I officially start cardiac rehab tomorrow.

Ive had a garmin footpod for years. I've already been walking with that in zwift. I've climbed the volcano and KOM routes as well as several other flatter routes in watopia, I've done the church hill climb in Richmond, I've done several climbing routes in NYC, and I did the Buckingham palace route in London. I just manually adjust my TM grade to match the zwift grade.

It seems from others posts that my setup is similar to everyone else's (hw: laptop+tv+android, sw:zwift+zwift-companion). I was curious if there were things I might be missing. I've been poking around zwifthacks, and zwift insider also.

BTW, why isn't there a SLOWTWITCH running kit? I went to the trouble of putting in the promo code, but no dice. Booo!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Running... No. They told me to wait one more week. But, I am walking at 13:00 / mile for 1-2 hours per day (4.5 mph). Yesterday, I managed to get my hr up to 144 for the first time. It's been slowly increasing by a few beats per day, as I get more comfortable with it. I officially start cardiac rehab tomorrow.

Ive had a garmin footpod for years. I've already been walking with that in zwift. I've climbed the volcano and KOM routes as well as several other flatter routes in watopia, I've done the church hill climb in Richmond, I've done several climbing routes in NYC, and I did the Buckingham palace route in London. I just manually adjust my TM grade to match the zwift grade.

It seems from others posts that my setup is similar to everyone else's (hw: laptop+tv+android, sw:zwift+zwift-companion). I was curious if there were things I might be missing. I've been poking around zwifthacks, and zwift insider also.

BTW, why isn't there a SLOWTWITCH running kit? I went to the trouble of putting in the promo code, but no dice. Booo!

slowtwitch tech t nobody has seen yet. this is the real life tech t. being manufactured right now.

zwift has the artwork, has had it for weeks, we're in the queue, pretty soon you should be able to move to this as your run kit option. thanks for asking ;-)

now, as to how to do this, there'll be a code. just as there is for our cycling kit. and i think it's just going to be the same code (the one you tried to use). i'll let everyone know when the code works for the run as well as the cycling kit, and with instructions on how to use the code, and then your avatar will be wearing slowtwitch colors when you zwift, if this is what you so choose.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Mar 16, 20 10:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't wait till that tech T is available! Put me down for 2

rich
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift setup: veteran tips? [Big Endian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you happen to know if you can just use Bluetooth from an iPhone to connect to a Kickr and run Zwift from that? I want to know if I could then watch Zwift on my Macbook (displaying what's on my iPhone), or do I need to get the Kickr to connect to the Macbook to watch Zwift on it. Have you tried that by any chance before I go buy the ANT+ dongle?
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift setup: veteran tips? [rcsa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have a Kickr so don't know for sure if it has Bluetooth (or Bluetooth Low Energy, BLE) capability. If it does not, then you can't interface it to an Apple device without an ANT+ dongle.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift setup: veteran tips? [Big Endian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use Zwift and my Kickr Core all the time on my iPhone when someone is hogging the big screen and/or Mac laptop.

My new bone conducting headphones are sweet also. Came with earplugs, which seems counter-intuitive. But, now can run outdoors with them and have full hearing of things around me but can indoors zone out with plugs in. I'd suggest this. Also, sweat won't cause bone conductors to slip out of your ear like most other headphones.
Quote Reply