Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zwift ramp test
Quote | Reply
Yeah its me again....the Zwift ramp test...thoughts on that? I have done two attempted FTP tests on Zwift and on the flats I end up running out of gears (on my Elite Direto), its really annoying. I was thinking of trying the ramp test to at least get a more accurate picture of my FTP, so I want to hear your experiences.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift ramp test [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the ramp test, bc i have ZERO attention span to pace the 20 minute test while indoors. I've used the ramp test results for zones on my structured workouts and race pacing for over a year now and I have not had any issues.

On the standard test, if you're running out of gears on the 20 minute test, have you adjusted your trainer difficulty?
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift ramp test [BevK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah already adjusted the difficulty...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done zwift ramp tests on my elite direto and never had to change gears. Zwift controls the trainer resistance for you. You need to leave the trainer in ERG mode for the test and just pedal. I usually focus on maintaining a cadence once things get hard - say 90 RPM - and not worry about the increasing level of difficulty. Just pedal at 90 RPM until you literally cannot pedal any more. I have found it actually happens quite quickly that you go from struggling to keep going to simply not able to pedal. I found the test accurate, repeatable and happy to do them every few weeks to keep tabs on my estimated FTP.

People will argue how accurate it is. Honestly, how accurate is the 20 minute test? Of the 1 hour test? They are all estimations of an estimation at the end of the day. The ramp test seems as accurate as any other test IMO and easier to do regularly.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift ramp test [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
earthling wrote:
I have done zwift ramp tests on my elite direto and never had to change gears. Zwift controls the trainer resistance for you. You need to leave the trainer in ERG mode for the test and just pedal. I usually focus on maintaining a cadence once things get hard - say 90 RPM - and not worry about the increasing level of difficulty. Just pedal at 90 RPM until you literally cannot pedal any more. I have found it actually happens quite quickly that you go from struggling to keep going to simply not able to pedal. I found the test accurate, repeatable and happy to do them every few weeks to keep tabs on my estimated FTP.

People will argue how accurate it is. Honestly, how accurate is the 20 minute test? Of the 1 hour test? They are all estimations of an estimation at the end of the day. The ramp test seems as accurate as any other test IMO and easier to do regularly.
Not directly at you Earthling but,

Was about to post something similar, re cadence. I find erg mode seems to work better with a 85-90rpm than 100+. Let the trainer do the work for you. I could be wrong (make that probably!!) but using a smaller gear means higher torque, and less trainer speed.

The problem imo is the ramp tests start too low, so you are hitting stupid leg speeds to hit low watts, then once you get to where its getting fruity, your legs don't like it anymore, and erg is saying that it wants to do whatever watts at your previous cadences.
Keep it smooth with a hint of pressure.

Erg mode removes any inbuilt gradient changes, its a visual only.

FWIW my ramp test results were close enough to where I thought I was anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift ramp test [philg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will do that...anyone know how to choose alpe du zwift by the way? I have enough on the level side but I can't seem to find it easily..

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Choose Road to Sky route. 3.5 miles / 5.6 km to the base of the Alpe.

Nanoo Nanoo
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift ramp test [-W-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm not there i am only level 13 but Google search says level 12 is needed?

Quote Reply