Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Zwift poll - numbers looking whacky
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Zwift poll - numbers looking whacky [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, those numbers don't add up.

On a side note, where is the "My hardware wouldn't support Zwift so I started using Rouvy, now there is no reason to change" choice?

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a dumb trainer and don't use a power meter. Kinda makes Zwift pointless, no?
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift poll - numbers looking whacky [] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was showing all of them as 200%+ when I viewed the results haha.

I wish there was an option for 'Using a different platform'. I'd be curious to see what % that would get. Personally, I use TR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I already do zwift but ultimately not interested too...
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift poll - numbers looking whacky [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zwift is usable with a dumb trainer as long as you have speed an cadence sensors. They have power curves for most of the dumb trainers so they can generate estimated power numbers. I don't think they will let you into the higher level races, but I've used it for workouts for a few years.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift poll - numbers looking whacky [PomDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I wish there was an option for 'Using a different platform'. I'd be curious to see what % that would get. Personally, I use TR.

Agree
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In need of a trainer. That needs to be an option.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scheherazade wrote:
Coach - "I want you to give me 268%!"

Physics student - "But coach, that would violate the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics."

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I need the option of confusing set up.

I have a new trainer I'm afraid to unbox.

Does zwift have a demo to run on my PC to see if the graphics work?

I have the zwift companion on my android phone. Now, do I need a dongle or other item to get it to work?

I'm afraid to open the trainer, mount my bike and cassette, then find out it doesn't work or I need to order additional parts.

Then I just wasted a day I could be riding. I also don't want to start my free trial if I need to order another part.

It's just poor support. I shouldn't have to research a product so much just to get started.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift poll - numbers looking whacky [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damn lucky wrote:
I need the option of confusing set up.

I have a new trainer I'm afraid to unbox.

Does zwift have a demo to run on my PC to see if the graphics work?

I have the zwift companion on my android phone. Now, do I need a dongle or other item to get it to work?

I'm afraid to open the trainer, mount my bike and cassette, then find out it doesn't work or I need to order additional parts.

Then I just wasted a day I could be riding. I also don't want to start my free trial if I need to order another part.

It's just poor support. I shouldn't have to research a product so much just to get started.
I'm struggling to see how these fears are Zwift's fault?
  • Why are you afraid to unbox your trainer? (Not sure you want it?, Afraid of paper cuts?, Other odd phobia?)
  • Why wouldn't the graphics work on your PC? How old is it? Zwift does not require particularly powerful graphics processing.
  • Your phone does not need a dongle. Your PC needs to communicate with your sensors (heart rate, speed, cadence, and/or power meter as applicable) so that will be either via blue tooth or ANT+ and you may require an ANT+ dongle if you don't already have one from one of the older Garmin watches or computers that used these for uploading activities.
  • Again with the fear. Only one way to find out if you're missing something. Have a look. It's not terribly complicated so chances are you've got what you need. You need a bike, a trainer, if it's direct drive you'll need a cassette which you mention - otherwise if wheel-on you may need a compatible rear skewer. Then you'll probably want a heart rate monitor buit don't need it, a cadence sensro but you don't need it and a speed sensor if you don't have a power meter and it's not a smart trainer.
  • Using your trainer doesn't require you to have started your free trial. Get your trainer up and running first. You're procrastinating over an hour or two's work....at most. If the trainer is working then the only thing you might still need for Zwift is an ANT+ dongle.
  • What research are you talking about? The trainer is the trainer. It's not Zwift.
If you have a trainer up and running that gives you power data to your bike computer or watch, that's separate to Zwift. To use it with Zwift, you just need a PC with either bluetooth or an ANT+ dongle depending on the sensors you're using. Install Zwift and off you go.
If you don't have a power meter or smart trainer that provides a power figure, you need a speed sensor and a trainer Zwift supports for virtual power. Then same again, you just need bluetooth or an ANT+ dongle on your PC.

Seems like you're making a fuss over nothing ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PomDad wrote:

Same here

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PomDad wrote:

That Zwift is a Slowtwitch partner, may have some bearing.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift poll - numbers looking whacky [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would guess Dan didn't include that option because Zwift and TR are not seen a mutually exclusive. So even if you use TR there must be an additional reason you don't also use Zwift. As for the rest of software packages that are more direct competitors to Zwift they represent a tiny slice of the current market so the numbers are probably low.

As a tangential point I would be interested to see a poll on the price people are willing to pay for Zwift, TR, etc. The Zwift price increase is coming close for everyone grandfathered into the system and that may trigger a re-evaluation of existing members. I also question whether Strava's new pricing strategy really hits the mark as I think it has always been too expensive and they way they split the new packages means they didn't really lower the price point. But I could be really wrong here as I have never seen the value of Twitter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
where's the option for " can't get wi-fi in my basement" ?
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift poll - numbers looking whacky [dah5609] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dah5609 wrote:
where's the option for " can't get wi-fi in my basement" ?

TP-Link AV600 Nano Powerline ethernet Adapter Starter Kit, Powerline speeds up to 600Mbps

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AWRUICG/

These are great, even if you have WiFi.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift poll - numbers looking whacky [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They left off an important poll option:

-Zwift "cheating"

I just can't do it if one of the primary entertainment factors is the group and race items you're paying for, but they can largely be faked.

I mean, it's almost in up down left right b-a start territory as a video game.

If there were a LOT more roads of real world things, enough I could ignore the race cheating and just ride alone, I might bite. They'll get there someday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The poll currently adds up to 133% so it’s getting better. :-)

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift poll - numbers looking whacky [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
  • Why wouldn't the graphics work on your PC? How old is it? Zwift does not require particularly powerful graphics processing.

I am on Zwift, and enjoying it, but to be frank, the PC requirements in comparison to the actual quality of the graphics is wacky. Circa 2005 graphics that are still making 1050Ti fans work very hard doesn't make any sense. It runs fine, it just uses way too much resources for what it is. Many 4k games run much smoother than Zwift :|
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift poll - numbers looking whacky [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know a guy who was doing "400W" for 20min, then he got a power meter and it turns out it was only 290W.

Cost for me. Subscription, ANT+ dongle for my power meter, larger chainring so I don't spin out on downhills (I use a CX bike with a 46T big ring). And is flogging yourself for an hour in a race any better than a good ol' 2x20 or 5x5? I mean I've heard people say they've found a few extra watts in these races...
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift poll - numbers looking whacky [lordhong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lordhong wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

I am on Zwift, and enjoying it, but to be frank, the PC requirements in comparison to the actual quality of the graphics is wacky. Circa 2005 graphics that are still making 1050Ti fans work very hard doesn't make any sense. It runs fine, it just uses way too much resources for what it is. Many 4k games run much smoother than Zwift :|

i am not a gamer, never have been, so, perhaps i'm happy eating the dry dog food of gaming, not knowing any better. but, help me understand what you're writing. i bought a $500 HP laptop off amazon and it runs zwift perfectly. i run an hdmi cable to a 42" big screen, just, plug one end into the laptop, the other into the big screen, and it mirrors automatically. if my big screen was newer i wouldn't need the cable, i could bluetooth to the bit screen.

so, what's the issue here? i'm not understanding.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift poll - numbers looking whacky [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
lordhong wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

i am not a gamer, never have been, so, perhaps i'm happy eating the dry dog food of gaming, not knowing any better. but, help me understand what you're writing. i bought a $500 HP laptop off amazon and it runs zwift perfectly. i run an hdmi cable to a 42" big screen, just, plug one end into the laptop, the other into the big screen, and it mirrors automatically. if my big screen was newer i wouldn't need the cable, i could bluetooth to the bit screen.

That it sounds like the zwift graphics package is shit.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift poll - numbers looking whacky [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
They left off an important poll option:

-Zwift "cheating"

I just can't do it if one of the primary entertainment factors is the group and race items you're paying for, but they can largely be faked.

I mean, it's almost in up down left right b-a start territory as a video game.

If there were a LOT more roads of real world things, enough I could ignore the race cheating and just ride alone, I might bite. They'll get there someday.

we have 3 rides, so far, on zwift:

1. a structured training ride on tuesdays. about 60 people on average take part. this is a no-drop, rubber band ride.

2. we have another structured training ride on fri. i haven't been on it yet. this is new, and it starts at 8am, i think, EST, and that's 5am my time, so, no thanks. another rubber band ride.

3. then there's a group ride, which is my favorite ride of the week, it's thurs, starts at 5 minutes to 6pm pacific time, that's the slowest group, then 5 minutes later a faster group, then 5 minutes later the fastest group. this is aother new ride, and we had maybe 30 or 40 take part last night, about equally distributed among the 3 groups.

i could not really see, feel, note any cheating. on the structured training rides, you can't win and you can't lose. no cheating. on the handicap ride, maybe it's just because slowtwitchers aren't really cheaters, by and large, but i don't sense any cheating there. it's just a fun group ride. it's like saying i'm not going to ride my tri club's group rides because of the doping and the course cutting.

so, i don't get it. can you help me understand your complaint? what am i missing? why should i be outraged?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift poll - numbers looking whacky [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Slowman wrote:
lordhong wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

That it sounds like the zwift graphics package is shit.

i freely admit that i'm a moron when it comes to gaming. but, is "it just uses way too much resources for what it is" equal graphics package is shit in gaming speak? because, in my own world of basic english i don't see how that one sentence equals the other. have you, yourself, been on zwift?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next