Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zwift on iPad power different than Garmin - P1 pedals. Help
Quote | Reply
My setup is as follows
iPad running Zwift
Tacx controllable trainer (not set as power source)
PowerTap P1 pedals dual sided
I have Tried Zwift reading L and R pedal.

I just did FTp test.
Zwift was 27 watts higher than what my Garmin 530 read.

I calibrated my pedals via Garmin B4 the ride. Zwift consistently in training reads higher than my Garmin.

I’m not sure how reading off the same pedals, Zwift is reading consistently higher watts. I do know that Zwift can only read one pedal but my pedal balance is 50/50.

Considering I race with my Garmin, I’m going to use those numbers...but wondering setup wise what I need to do, or can I do anything, to get things lined up using my iPad?

Merge Multisport Founder & Head Coach
USAT Level 2 - Short & Long Course
Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift on iPad power different than Garmin - P1 pedals. Help [T.Skelton3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The iPad reads power off your P1 pedals via Bluetooth. For whatever reason, the Bluetooth connection only reads power from the left pedal, and doubles it. When you connect to your Garmin, it connects via ANT+. When connected via ANT+, the P1 pedals correctly read both pedals.

So whats happening is your left leg might be stronger, and getting a false double reading.

(This is exactly why dual-sided power is important)

Basically if your left leg is making 110 watts, and your right leg is making 90 watts, when connected to your Garmin via ANT, it correctly reads "200". But when connected by Bluetooth, it's only reading the left leg, and erroneously reading 220 watts (because it's just doubling the 110).

I don't know if the Zwift app for iPad is capable of reading power via ANT if you connect an ANT dongle. But that would be the way to do it.

I have the same issue. I use a laptop with an ANT+ dongle attached to the USB port to run Zwift
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift on iPad power different than Garmin - P1 pedals. Help [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gahhh

That makes total sense.

The odd thing though is that I would assume if my pedal balance is 50/50, that I would have balanced power from each leg so the doubling wouldn’t be an issue. But who knows.

I’ll try with my laptop and ANt+ dongle tomorrow and see what happens.

I really appreciate the help! Thank you!

Merge Multisport Founder & Head Coach
USAT Level 2 - Short & Long Course
Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift on iPad power different than Garmin - P1 pedals. Help [MergeMultisport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know this post is a bit old but wanted to provide a thought for others that may read this.

If you are using a Kickr you can set the Kickr to use your power from your pedals VS using its own power gauge. Then the Kickr is what you connect to Zwift.

Also.... because the Kickr is reading the Ant+ output (this worked on my Gen1 and Gen2 not sure about newer) it frees up your Garmin head unit to pick up the bluetooth so you can get your dynamic cycling recorded into Garmin and your normal accurate dual power feeding into zwift via the Kickr.

Tri is my Tribe! "Sometimes you need to slow down in order to go fast."
Quote Reply