Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zwift buys Milestone pod
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift buys Milestone pod [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. But I think Zwift is facing a bigger challenge here. Indoor running is generally done on treadmills that are all over the place in terms of calibration - and for the gym runners, the user has no control over the numbers the treadmill produces. The footpod really does nothing to make this any better. Sure the bluetooth support is nice but it does not change anything.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift buys Milestone pod [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you have misunderstood what the footpod is doing in this context.

Imagine the treadmill as a 'dumb trainer' and the footpod as an independent power meter. It doesn't matter whether or not the treadmill is calibrated because Zwift is only talking to the footpod. Evening moving to the situation where Zwift is controlling the treadmill the calibration of treadmill still doesn't matter. It no different from how you can have Zwift controls a smart trainer using an independent powermeter on the bike rather than any power sensor in the smart trainer. Basically Zwift tells the treadmill to speed up/slow down based on the data from the foot pod and ignores the absolute speed reported from the treadmill.

Overall a properly calibrated footpod gets you around the issue of poorly calibrated treadmills. I'm still not convinced if people are going to want to drag all the equipment needed for Zwift to the gym but that is another issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift buys Milestone pod [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
Overall a properly calibrated footpod gets you around the issue of poorly calibrated treadmills. I'm still not convinced if people are going to want to drag all the equipment needed for Zwift to the gym but that is another issue.

I've never brought my iPad to the gym but wouldn't the equipment just be a tablet (and perhaps a mount) and Milestone pod?

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift buys Milestone pod [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As long as it’s an iOS/Mac you should be ok, but you will also need a phone to control the companion app.

If you have an andriod tablet I think you would need to use your phone as a bridge via the companion app. So two devices.

Then there is the challenge of power supply for phone+tablet. I can easily see forgetting to charge one or both devices.

So maybe not a lot for most but it’s more than I would want to haul around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
As long as it’s an iOS/Mac you should be ok, but you will also need a phone to control the companion app.

If you have an andriod tablet I think you would need to use your phone as a bridge via the companion app. So two devices.

Then there is the challenge of power supply for phone+tablet. I can easily see forgetting to charge one or both devices.

just charge the iPad before hitting the gym. Or use your iPhone if you don’t want to take a tablet. I’ve used my iPad on Zwift with no power supply for a 90min race with no issues.

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift buys Milestone pod [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BayDad wrote:
scott8888 wrote:

just charge the iPad before hitting the gym. Or use your iPhone if you don’t want to take a tablet. I’ve used my iPad on Zwift with no power supply for a 90min race with no issues.

I used my iPad on TrainerRoad road this morning for 4 hours unplugged and it was only down to 40% at the end.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they would just get their act together on their Android app development it would make life a lot easier for me for biking and potentially running.

I understand that it's a more fragmented ecosystem (their rational for why it's taking so long to address this market) but maybe it's time they poach a few developers from Trainer Road and ask them how they figured it out.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift buys Milestone pod [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrRabbit wrote:
I understand that it's a more fragmented ecosystem (their rational for why it's taking so long to address this market) but maybe it's time they poach a few developers from Trainer Road and ask them how they figured it out.

Trainer Road isn't exactly pushing hardware to the limits with 3D world rendering. The best of both worlds would be the integration of the two..... graphical/social experience, and killer workouts..... but... business.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift buys Milestone pod [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gplama wrote:
MrRabbit wrote:

Trainer Road isn't exactly pushing hardware to the limits with 3D world rendering. The best of both worlds would be the integration of the two..... graphical/social experience, and killer workouts..... but... business.

That's true. I'm sure their challenge is the lower end Android phones. Shame they can't just release it for flagships/tablets.

I'll take an NES style Watopia though if that's all they can offer.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply