Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zwift Workout Wattage Question
Quote | Reply
I have been using the built in Workouts in Zwift for my training. For you 70.3 podium finishers out there, what would be your typical average wattage during a 1 hour workout? Needs some goals to strive for.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Workout Wattage Question [KaliTom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That answer could vary wildly depending on size, CdA, swim / run strength, age group, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As the previous poster said, it's not all about wattage. I'm 6' and 166-170 in racing season and have a FTP of around 4.5 w/kg. A smaller rider with a similar w/kg would do better on a hillier course, and a heavier rider with a similar w/kg would do better on a very flat course.

During a harder, shorter trainer ride I'll usually end up at 90-95% of threshold on average - this would be during an over/under workout, a bunch of 30/30's or other efforts over FTP. This morning I did a ride I like, which is a 100k group ride on Zwift (nice 'n early 4:15 am EST start!) - I finished with an average of 294 watts in 2:08 (3.8 w/kg for the ride and 86% of threshold) - I cut out the last few miles and only did 60 miles total due to time constraints. This is just an example, though.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Workout Wattage Question [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a lot of great info, thank you! Great ride too!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just riding around or doing some sort of workout?

I'm not time-trialing every workout, most are easy and some are hard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a 58 year old 175 pound rider and do a 90 minute group ride on zwift 2x a week at about 285 with some over my ftp and some under, it's solid but not exhausting. Later in the winter I'll train a little different. I do overdistance both weekend days if there is no snow on the roads
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m a fop ager, and I’ll do workouts where I’ll avg 200w and some harder ones where I’ll avg 230. It’s not a lot, but my flux reads super low. The guys on zwift that draft, then pass me on their roads bikes, I’ll crush them during the real races ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Workout Wattage Question [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jroden wrote:
I'm a 58 year old 175 pound rider and do a 90 minute group ride on zwift 2x a week at about 285 with some over my ftp and some under, it's solid but not exhausting. Later in the winter I'll train a little different. I do overdistance both weekend days if there is no snow on the roads

At 58, 285 watts avg. for 90 minutes ? Twice a week ?
Would you accept to become my idol :-) ?

LOuis :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Workout Wattage Question [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha! 286 and I snap like a twig. Weird thing is I sustain a very low hr doing it, like 135. I'm an ok racer, but have slowed with age, I was an ok 2 in my youth, but those days are gone
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Workout Wattage Question [Afg53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been doing the Zwift Academy Tri 2020 workouts, specifically workouts 1, 4, and 6. I have just started using Zwift and not very versed on the software. Measuring wattage is also very new to me. Out of the box these workouts seem to cap at about 195 watts. It sounds like I should be working towards the mid 200's during these workouts. Thank you everyone!

As a side note, during a workout recently when I was at a leg of 135 watts the program "encouraged" me by stating 135 watts was the average power output by half distance racers. Made me start to think what are the top dogs doing because I don't find 135 watts very difficult.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you need to perform some sort of ftp test to get your current fitness dialed in better, Zwift has an ftp test that works fine and it sets your training values after. Re test in a while as it takes time to get used to riding 20 mins all out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jroden wrote:
Sounds like you need to perform some sort of ftp test to get your current fitness dialed in better, Zwift has an ftp test that works fine and it sets your training values after. Re test in a while as it takes time to get used to riding 20 mins all out

Will do, thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me know how you do. Pace it like a 5k running race
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recommend the Zwift Ramp Test. It’s not 100% accurate (which may or may not even be possible or desirable with tests like this) but it’s low stress and you only have to be in pain for a couple minutes. And you can continue with training as normal afterwards, rather than being utterly spend from a 20-min max effort.

Darren
https://www.strava.com/athletes/12385497
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
135 sounds incredibly low. Might be right if all AGs and BOP are in the mix, but I doubt most folks could even get close to a 3hr bike on 135W.

As others said, do the quick zwift ramp test. You can then get a better number by doing the ftp test.....or, my favorite, hammer a zwift group ride for 20min and Zwift will automatically recalc your ftp up if needed.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for the delay, had some trainer issues to resolve. I completed the FTP ramp test and it put me at 185 watts. I assume going forward the software will tailor my workouts around this number now. I am thinking I should do this test probably once a month.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good job, just do the work and it will get better next month. I'm 58 and mine went up to 315 last month. Shoot for the stars.
Quote Reply