Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Zwift Pro Tri Race Series
Quote | Reply
Zwift is launching a pro triathlete.racing series with a mix of long course and short course athletes! Some big names in the bunch (although no official lineup yet)

https://www.instagram.com/...?igshid=oze0nbjign9z

and livestream here:

So far:
Lucy Charles
Emma pallent
fred van lierde

I hope/would assume lionel in there too!
Last edited by: lassekk: Apr 14, 20 10:09
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Pro Tri Race Series [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Live in 1½ hours time!
Lets give it some support!
Lionel is also starting i see.

Do we know if there are any prices?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there a startlist of sorts anywhere? Should be pretty fun to watch

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Colorectal Cancer is in the News Again. Don't Blame Red Meat
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...news-again-dont.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you beat me to it! my intention was to start the thread that you did, and embed the youtube feed in first post. which is exactly what you did. and to sticky it. so i'll just sticky yours. should be good watching.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Pro Tri Race Series [Birdmantris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Birdmantris wrote:
Is there a startlist of sorts anywhere? Should be pretty fun to watch

Not seen any startlist anywhere. I don't know if they simply don't have one or they will reveal it in the Pre-show. I might have interpreted it incorrectly but as far as i see everyone with the "green tri pro jersey" can sign up for these events, so it might be a just who is in on the day, again not sure.
The names i have listed are from their Instagrams saying they will perticipate or from the Gozwifttri instagram page where some of them have commented.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok didn't think so. Should recognize a lot of names regardless

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as you probably know, superleague has formed what amounts to a team, a zwift racing trade team, sort of an all star triathlon analog to canyon zwift cc. and as we know alistair and lionel are high-powered zwift racers.

i hope ironman intakes what zwift is doing with triathletes and considers how it might bend its own coverage to absorb zwift lessons. what i like about ironman is that it's got a great head start on a lot of other sports with its facebook watch coverage. what i find less compelling are the long events with athletes sitting up on their pursuits, just riding their own solo races thru the countryside.

sam long won that last IM race. and he took lionel's strava record up mt. lemmon. he's the man of the hour. but i have no interest in watching sam long ride an IM race as these are now constituted. what i'd like to see is sam long throw down in one of these 30min zwift races.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Pro Tri Race Series [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tons of big names in the womens race - Duffy, Norden, Findlay, H Jackson, Charles-Barclay, etc.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wish they would have picked a course with some more sustained climbing.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Pro Tri Race Series [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zwift has got to display the distance left the entire time. Impossible to follow without it. It was on the screen at first, so don't know why they took it off.

Flora raced that like she's been racing on zwift for months. Saved herself for the sprint. Meanwhile Lucy wasted so much energy pushing the pace. But I guess she did whittle the group down a lot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zwift really have to sort out the issue with showing the distance. In this race and the last one with Sanders, Brownlee etc the distance was showing until towards the end when it disappears and you have no idea how long is left and it's not clear where the finish line is. The commentators weren't even sure who won as it seemed like the race may have still been going.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah they kept talking about LCB like she was a huge favorite but the tactics never seemed ideal on her end.

Agree that the last bit of the race coverage needs to improve a bit on all of these Zwift streams. Distance remaining tends to disappear in the last few kms and the actual finish itself comes out of nowhere with no particular indication.

Sanders favorite for the men? Might be a guy or two who can ride better for 20 minutes but doubt they know the platform well enough to overtake LS

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Van Riel was the top placing triathlete in the pro race last week (granted Lionel had a dropout), but that was sustained climbing with hilltop finish. Whoever has the best sprint and times it right will win.
Last edited by: Sean H: Apr 15, 20 7:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep little premature on my part. He made a good "zwift move" but the ITU guys had too much of a kick

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good on zwift for fixing the metrics on the screen.

Yeah Lionel timed that well. Maybe a split second later and he takes it but who knows.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
where are results, I cannot find on zwiftpower.com ?
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Pro Tri Race Series [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I don't know why they weren't on zwiftpower, I was trying to watch the live results there during the race since it's hard to see the full field on the youtube coverage.

If you use the companion app you can see the results. I follow Lionel so was able to go to the activities feed and see his race, then view the results from there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are some screenshots of the results for the Men's race!

Canadian Professional Triathlete

Instagram
Last edited by: Ben Rudson: Apr 15, 20 9:57
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Pro Tri Race Series [Ben Rudson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And the remaining screenshots (Slowtwitch only lets me post 5 photos per post).

Instagram
Last edited by: Ben Rudson: Apr 15, 20 9:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My thoughts on the actual race:
- Flora to win was easy to predict. A true champion ans the kind of course that fits her perfectly, we all remember wts race in hee home country with lots of small hills, she totally sominated it.
- Mens race also really good, Had lionel won with rhe righr power up in the end? Probably.

Setup thoughts:
Pros:
- Great to see so many participating, strong fields on both sides!
- Great with some tri focus

Cons:
- I cant believe how shitty zwift spectating is, and im not even talking about the womens race which was a joke as neither the commentstors nor the us viewers knew where the finish line was!
- Their UI neess an overhaul, it is so hard to see who is who, and get a good camera angle on the races, that should be easy in video games you dont need tv motos or anything
- Production was a bit meh, both races started without it being on screen and then they suddenly cut to the already started race.
- The commentating i hope will get better, In lionels last race it was great hope these two will get there too.

- Now lets get cam wurf vs lionel next time!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ben Rudson wrote:
And the remaining screenshots (Slowtwitch only lets me post 5 photos per post).

thanks for providing this. how about women's results?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have access to the Women's results unfortunately!

Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thats ok. im wondering why the lack of reporting on this awesome event...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just jumping in here at the end of a long day and will try and answer some of the questions raised above. Disclaimer: I work for Zwift and have been working on the development of this race series for several weeks now.

The concept was simple. Create a regular weekly race series and invite all the pro triathletes on Zwift, and there are more than 200 of them, to come together and race for 'fun'. They had been asking us to do something so we thought - let's keep it simple - there was no pressure at all put on our pro community to race and we had very little idea until the start of the race who would actually turn up.

This week we chose a short, punchy course to try to suit the strong, powerful riders. We'll mix it up each week, do some long races (but only broadcast the last half hour), some big climbs and some non drafting TT style races.

Above all though, we want the pros themselves to shape this series. We appreciate getting the best short AND long course athletes to race each other every week could only happen as a result of the current situation so need it to be something they want to do, not feel they need to do.

We decided to let the athletes self police and have not been too prescriptive about verification of data or weights but we'll gather feedback and that may change as the series progresses (if the pros want it to change).

We want them to have fun and us to have fun watching them having fun.

I'll try and check in occasionally to update you on any developments, in the meantime, thanks for watching!

Richard Melik | I work for the following companies | Zwift.com | Freespeed Bike Fit (UK)
Manager | David McNamee
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Zwift has got to display the distance left the entire time. Impossible to follow without it. It was on the screen at first, so don't know why they took it off.

Unfortunately, one athlete in the women's race caused a bug in the timing (probably hadn't updated to the latest version) and this threw out the 'distance to go' readings so we felt having no measurement was better than an incorrect one.

A shame because, as you say, we all struggled to accurately predict where that incredible finish was going to happen.

Richard Melik | I work for the following companies | Zwift.com | Freespeed Bike Fit (UK)
Manager | David McNamee
Quote Reply

Prev Next