Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Zwift Opinions
Quote | Reply
UPDATE: I just wanted to thank everyone for such great responses! I appreciate it so much. It seems like there's varying opinions, but overall, I'll definitely try it out!

Hey guys! I’m considering joining Zwift, so I wanted to know everyone’s opinions on it.

Do you think it’s a good alternative to training in real life/outdoors? Is it something worth continuing after the COVID-19 crisis?

Also, has anyone competed in any of the Watopia races? If so, which ones have you done and how did you like them?

Thank you so much for any thoughts, opinions, or recommendations. I don’t really know much about it, so I would appreciate any suggestions!
Last edited by: katebernicke: Apr 3, 20 12:12
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Opinions [katebernicke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally I like to use it for my quality training. I either do a race or a small handful of group rides that end up being tempo or threshold. The races fit nicely into your harder training and you can use them however you like. I personally find just riding around to be pretty boring and generally just bundle up and go outside and do something instead. During the winter I might use it three or four times a week though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
katebernicke wrote:
Hey guys! I’m considering joining Zwift, so I wanted to know everyone’s opinions on it.

Do you think it’s a good alternative to training in real life/outdoors? Is it something worth continuing after the COVID-19 crisis?

Also, has anyone competed in any of the Watopia races? If so, which ones have you done and how did you like them?

Thank you so much for any thoughts, opinions, or recommendations. I don’t really know much about it, so I would appreciate any suggestions!

kate, you are entering in the middle of a loooong conversation! ;-)

yes, a lot of us feel that zwift is a good enhancement to outdoor riding. if you are reading from a desktop computer, on the right hand side of this page, if you scroll down, you'll see the 8 zwift events each week that we host, which will soon become 9. zwift was originally beta tested in this forum community before it was launched, so we've been ardent zwifters from the beginning. ask any questions you want.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Opinions [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
yes, a lot of us feel that zwift is a good enhancement to outdoor riding.

Many people are saying that Zwift is a good enhancement to *indoor* riding. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The experience of any indoor riding comes down to the equipment you're using (hardware and software) and how you use it.

The benefit of having a good indoor setup is that you can 'ride the field' of software easily and see what you like the best.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll be the naysayer. I’ve given Zwift an honest try a couple of times over the years and it’s not for me. It just doesn’t do it for me.

I’m a Trainer Road guy, however, for the last couple of weeks I’ve been enjoying a 30 day trial of FulGaz and really enjoying it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Regarding your first question, for me, it's def. a good alternative for outdoor rides; I initially also started it to enhance my indoor rides a bit however now more and more I just seem to prefer to ride Zwift instead of outside (esp. since there's grouprides and some climbing on Zwift ... and no rain/wind).

Regarding racing, I'm not sure yet; with a decent ftp, you'll have to start in the A cat. however there a flat "slowtwitch" power-profile is really hampering results with quite some elite/pro riders doing monstrous 1-5 min power (and I honestly trust these performances are mostly legit in A-races! As opposed to B/C/D cat races that seem to be ruined by slackers from what I read...)

As an alternative to racing, I REALLY like the various multi-stage events though; most of these have a longer group-ride as well which is basically just a race however without the very elite breaking things up. (And in theory you could ride easy as well as there are 100's (or even > 1000 riders lately) of every level). These events also tend to become addicting, making you come back multiple times to unlock some gimmick (event-kit most times).
And then there are the steady group rides (with fence or strong leader) which are perfect for some longer easier rides.

All said, I think my bike power has definitely increased due to these events, as it's just easier to dig deeper in such races or events!
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Opinions [Kempenaer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kempenaer wrote:
....Regarding racing, I'm not sure yet; with a decent ftp, you'll have to start in the A cat. however there a flat "slowtwitch" power-profile is really hampering results with quite some elite/pro riders doing monstrous 1-5 min power (and I honestly trust these performances are mostly legit in A-races! As opposed to B/C/D cat races that seem to be ruined by slackers from what I read...)....
I quite enjoy racing when I'm looking for a hard training session.
I'm a Cat B. Lower end of the power range for the category but being a heavy-ish rider at ~84kg, I can perform mid field or better in less hilly races. Sure, in any category below A you may get folks who should perhaps be riding in the category above, but that certainly doesn't ruin anything for me. I race the guys around me. If a few fly off down the road and are clearly not really Cat B level riders, who cares? Leave them to it. If you are interested in keeping track of your results use Zwift Power. It pretty effectively filters sandbaggers out of the results.
There are some folks who claim Zwift is worthless because there's scope for cheating but I think this utterly misses the point. I have a pretty strong competitive streak and yet I couldn't care less about this minor issue. It's generally obvious if there are sandbaggers present, just ignore them. It certainly doesn't ruin the races IMO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I prefer Trainerroad. I only do indoors for training purposes and TR cuts all the distractions.
Some of my athletes share that view, others like the distraction in Zwift. As GPlama said - it's easy to try out the different software platforms. RGT is free at the moment.
I have been trying Zwift again this week, so there was the momentary novelty of randomly seeing Slowman yesterday but I felt that Zwift hampered my structured set more than it helped.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Virtually all of my bike training is on Zwift now. Even without COVID concerns, the convenience and safety of the platform made it a game changer for me. I don’t have to head out at stupid o’clock to avoid the traffic and my hubby doesn’t have to stress about me being totalled by a car for a 3rd time.

I don’t bother with the races, but there are so many different ways of interacting with it there will be something to suit what you’re looking for.

There’s a really helpful Zwift Ladies Facebook Group that can answer all the questions you have, too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been in Zwift for about 3 years, and use it over the winter as part of my base build phase, however, never really used it in the warmer weather months. I love racing on Zwift, however, Zwift races interfer with my Triathlon training plan as they are so intense, which is fine during the off season.

However, since the whole lock down started, I am back into base building, I don't have a training schedule, so I am free to race on Zwift... and when I say race, I really mean racing. I recently completed Tour De Watopia, I had a 1st place finish, a 4th place an 8th and 2 43rd place finishes (although I had just done a Zwift Time Trial, 20 minutes before one)

In 2 consecutive days, I improved my FTP (albeit by 1w both times).

I have discovered that I am actually pretty good at Zwift racing. I love the longer races, like 100km events. I am learning the tactics of Zwift racing, which are really different to riding outdoors

I have come to the conclusion that racing on Zwift is not an extension of riding, it is simply a different sport, and one that I am rapidly developing a passion for. It will be tough to put Zwift racing to bed once the triathlon season gets going, however, I am not sure I could race on Zwift at the same time as training for a specific Ironman race
Last edited by: mattsurf: Apr 3, 20 3:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Joined Zwift during the shut down hoping it would be something new and fun for indoor riding. I have been using Perf Pro for about two years.

I don't understand the love for Zwift. I would never use it as an alternative to outdoor riding in the middle of Summer on a beautiful day. Tried it for my harder rides and prefer the simplicity of Perf Pro instead. Am using Zwift for my Z2 (or easier) rides until we're freed from jail and I can get outside hoping i understand why everyone else thinks this platform is so awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Opinions [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Kempenaer wrote:
....Regarding racing, I'm not sure yet; with a decent ftp, you'll have to start in the A cat. however there a flat "slowtwitch" power-profile is really hampering results with quite some elite/pro riders doing monstrous 1-5 min power (and I honestly trust these performances are mostly legit in A-races! As opposed to B/C/D cat races that seem to be ruined by slackers from what I read...)....

I quite enjoy racing when I'm looking for a hard training session.
I'm a Cat B. Lower end of the power range for the category but being a heavy-ish rider at ~84kg, I can perform mid field or better in less hilly races. Sure, in any category below A you may get folks who should perhaps be riding in the category above, but that certainly doesn't ruin anything for me. I race the guys around me. If a few fly off down the road and are clearly not really Cat B level riders, who cares? Leave them to it. If you are interested in keeping track of your results use Zwift Power. It pretty effectively filters sandbaggers out of the results.
There are some folks who claim Zwift is worthless because there's scope for cheating but I think this utterly misses the point. I have a pretty strong competitive streak and yet I couldn't care less about this minor issue. It's generally obvious if there are sandbaggers present, just ignore them. It certainly doesn't ruin the races IMO.

I think you make some valid points here, esp. regarding racing your own "peers" and on the zwiftpower results (to all: ZP is your source of truth :-) )
For myself, only thing that could get me into racing more often would be some cat. A only events, as I feel there is a too big gap between us mortals and the real elites with >> 5W ftp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to join in with the naysayers.

Personally, I don't need to 'pretend' I'm riding when I'm on a trainer. The trainer serves a purpose for me, and that is to get me as fit, and therefore, as fast, as possible in as efficient a way as possible. I train because I love riding my bike outside. As such Zwift has no inherent appeal to me. I use TrainerRoad for its amazing plans and structured workouts. I then put a film on the TV and watch that. I find that more engaging than a strange avatar that seems to defy the law of physics!

And I am an underdog kind of guy. I just don't like that Zwift has, in essence, purchase the market with rampant marketing spend and, to be honest, underhand endorsement. So many youtubers and publications are sponsored by Zwift that I just struggle to take it too seriously. Especially when I start hearing/seeing nonsense about a Zwift Tour de France and similar. I just don't get why Zwift should have the monopoly on e-rising, especially when there are plenty of alternatives.

And to properly enjoy zwift you do need to spend a pretty penny. You need a decent computer to stream it properly, a decent smart trainer that can simulate decent grades, and, more and more, some form of rocker/climber to really feel the outside effect. That's a lot of money.

That's before we get on to the rampant cheating within Zwift (how many 35kg riders do you know). It just makes the racing a thrash fest from the second it starts and most people who are in the correct category get blown away.

Don't get me wrong, I get it. I really do. It's just not for me when riding on a trainer is not meant as an alternative to riding outside (what's the point?).
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Opinions [SSMinnow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SSMinnow wrote:
Joined Zwift during the shut down hoping it would be something new and fun for indoor riding. I have been using Perf Pro for about two years.

I don't understand the love for Zwift. I would never use it as an alternative to outdoor riding in the middle of Summer on a beautiful day. Tried it for my harder rides and prefer the simplicity of Perf Pro instead. Am using Zwift for my Z2 (or easier) rides until we're freed from jail and I can get outside hoping i understand why everyone else thinks this platform is so awesome.

Did you try some of the group-rides or the events (Tour of Watopia/Haute route etc)? Because these events tend to be the big differentiator wrt the "awesomeness" compared to just doing your own structured training plans.

Regarding structured training (oly/half dist), what is the consensus on following workouts on Zwift vs entering events or races? (esp. for tempo & VO2max training) Are the structured workouts really the way to go, or do you think similar (or better) results can be achieved by doing the races/tours (maybe with a global idea in mind if you want to target some specific zones but still adhering to the race dynamics to some extent)
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Opinions [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
I’ll be the naysayer. I’ve given Zwift an honest try a couple of times over the years and it’s not for me. It just doesn’t do it for me.

I’m a Trainer Road guy, however, for the last couple of weeks I’ve been enjoying a 30 day trial of FulGaz and really enjoying it.

Same here. I've still got a Zwift account but ever since I discovered Trainerroad, I've not used it again. I like the scenery in Zwift but I'm not much in to group rides (online nor the real world). My wife loves Zwift and thinks it's boring that I do TR, but TR has SO many choices for great workouts. And I love how their workout screen is set up with the encouraging words from Chad
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Opinions [Kempenaer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kempenaer wrote:
SSMinnow wrote:

Did you try some of the group-rides or the events (Tour of Watopia/Haute route etc)? Because these events tend to be the big differentiator wrt the "awesomeness" compared to just doing your own structured training plans.

Regarding structured training (oly/half dist), what is the consensus on following workouts on Zwift vs entering events or races? (esp. for tempo & VO2max training) Are the structured workouts really the way to go, or do you think similar (or better) results can be achieved by doing the races/tours (maybe with a global idea in mind if you want to target some specific zones but still adhering to the race dynamics to some extent)

I have not tried group rides. I have a training plan and ride to it.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Opinions [lbmxj560] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lbmxj560 wrote:
I'm going to join in with the naysayers.

Personally, I don't need to 'pretend' I'm riding when I'm on a trainer.
I think you're doomed to dislike it if you think the point is to "pretend" you're outside. I like Zwift but I don't get pleasure from simply riding around, as I do on an outdoor ride. I need a purpose, as presumably you do on TR? Zwift provides several different formats within which to frame that purpose. It's engaging as an interface to the purpose you've assigned yourself, whether it's completing a workout (where TR is probably just as good during execution), or some sort of course PB, group ride or race based challenge.
lbmxj560 wrote:
...The trainer serves a purpose for me, and that is to get me as fit, and therefore, as fast, as possible in as efficient a way as possible. I train because I love riding my bike outside. As such Zwift has no inherent appeal to me.
Surely if you can also find the trainer somewhat enjoyable, that's desirable too? Do you consider that a lost cause and therefore not worth aspiring to? I did, but I changed my mind when I started using Zwift the way I do now.
lbmxj560 wrote:
....I use TrainerRoad for its amazing plans and structured workouts. I then put a film on the TV and watch that. I find that more engaging than a strange avatar that seems to defy the law of physics!
I know most people regard TR's plans and workout library as being far superior and I'm sure they're right. but I almost always generate my own plans and workouts anyway so it's not a factor. I would like a better workout editor on Zwift though.
I don't get your comment about the avatar not obeying the laws of physics. In what sense? Cosmetically, or in how it models performance based on your efforts?
lbmxj560 wrote:
....And to properly enjoy zwift you do need to spend a pretty penny. You need a decent computer to stream it properly, a decent smart trainer that can simulate decent grades, and, more and more, some form of rocker/climber to really feel the outside effect. That's a lot of money....
I don't think this is true. If you have what you need for TR, you're equipped for Zwift too. You don't need a smart trainer and certainly not a climb accessory to get a lot of enjoyment out of Zwift. I used it for 2 years with just a KK Road Machine dumb trainer. Then another 18 months with the addition of a power meter. I've only had a smart trainer for the last few months and while I do prefer it, I got on absolutely fine without it, and don't find it transformational.
lbmxj560 wrote:
....Don't get me wrong, I get it. I really do. It's just not for me when riding on a trainer is not meant as an alternative to riding outside (what's the point?).
Do you though? ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still have huge beef with trainerroad in that in my experience their heir oly and sprint plans are near broken in intensity levels and last time i checked.they havent bothered to do a rewrite in god how many years. The road plans seem to work.better but it sucks to work super hard on an oly.plan and in my case get markedly worse results. Wayy too many intervals for the shorter plans.

If tr has such great plans why are the tri plans so neglected? A coach could literally update them effectively in less than a day with all the data they have on which workouts and.plans are failing for most.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Opinions [SSMinnow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SSMinnow wrote:
Kempenaer wrote:
SSMinnow wrote:

I have not tried group rides. I have a training plan and ride to it.

You are literally missing nearly the entire point of zwift if you avoid all races and group rides or events.

Riding the tour of watopia (not a race but more like a hard group ride) and making your way up a huge pack of 500 with drafting attacks and seeing the riders hanging with you the whole way was absolutely game changing.

Its why the social and events is pushed so hard on zwift.

And races are brutally hard! You will never ride that hard indoors - ever.

Try it before you dismiss it. You otherwise are missing the entire point of zwift.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll take the winky face at the end :), I just thought I'd scribble a response...

I have ridden Zwift, it's fine. It's much better than just sitting there with nothing to watch. But, for me, it's not better than watching the TV whilst training. So, if I'm going to spend money on a training platform I'm going to spend it on something that, at its core, is not trying to distract from the fact that I'm riding a trainer, but make me as fast as possible in the time I am on there, hence why I use TrainerRoad. I don't see the point in having an avatar and all of that stuff, for me to completely ignore it and watch the TV.

And the physics thing... the avatar takes corners very weirdly and constantly rides into the back of people. Personally, I find that distracting. That's before the random points at which it stands up!

And I tend to not just get on a trainer to trundle around. I get on because I have a very specific workout to do, almost always in erg mode. The end result is that, again, Zwift is rendered somewhat pointless. If i'm in erg mode it is irrelevant whether I'm going uphill, downhill or on the flat, I'm just doing x watts. The resistance/feel doesn't change. If I was getting on the trainer to just trundle around, I'd use zwift as I'm sure it's more engaging. Especially when you have a trainer that responds to gradients.

So, in summary, my whole point was that my opinion is that if you want to use a trainer to get faster, and needing the training platform to entertain you is not a concern, then Zwift is rendered somewhat redundant. There are other platforms that would better suit that aim. Whether its TrainerRoad, The Sufferfest or even TrainingPeaks tied to a garmin... If, however, you want to have a more realistic outside experience, and have a much better group ride experience, then Zwift is probably the place to go. If it's just the outside experience you're after, and no so fussed about group riding, RGT or Bkool are both viable.

It's like people take criticism of Zwift as though I'm criticising something they've created ;).

I just think that, as a community (i.e. bike riders, not Slowtwitch specifically), we are at a risk of falling for the marketing and just assuming there is little choice out there, when there is in fact loads! Zwift has become synonymous with indoor training and I don't think that's exclusively a good thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use it a few times a week. Some of the courses are pretty good. I like the 4 mile NYC circle. Its a good way to stay focused and track each 4 mile "split"

Same with the fugo flats which is longer and you can easily sit stay in the aero bars for the entire loop.

I HATE the drafting. I turned it off for me (use a TT bike) but I really wish they could turn off the ability for others to draft off me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm short on time just now so will have to keep it brief, but yes, if you prefer to use ERG mode, I think that does thoroughly undermine Zwift's primary benefits. I've tried watching TV while training and I find it ruins both my enjoyment of the TV and the quality of my training. I find TV a distraction and Zwift an aid t engagement. I also dislike ERG because it takes too much of your control. So our tastes are completely opposite and it's no surprise we prefer different solutions!

I do agree that variety is good. Im not keen on the TR approach and I haven't gotten around to testing Zwift alternatives. I didn't join due to marketing, I first used it in 2014 I think, when it was just kicking off, but only started using it regularly in late 2016.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Opinions [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you don't want drafting, and you're riding solo, it may suit you to eliminate all other riders? You can do that by simply disconnecting the internet connection once you've started your ride. Reconnect at the end if you want to record the ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
If you don't want drafting, and you're riding solo, it may suit you to eliminate all other riders? You can do that by simply disconnecting the internet connection once you've started your ride. Reconnect at the end if you want to record the ride.

THANK YOU. I’ll give that a try.
Quote Reply

Prev Next