Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Zwift Duathlon Race Series [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
osugasman wrote:
Dan: seems stupid to mention, but I always lick the sensor portion of the band on my Polar and Tickr HR monitors prior to wearing them, and they pick up immediately and accurately.

i was licking that thing like crazy. there are 2 connectivity hurdles. the first is no problem. when you snap the chest strap onto the transmitter, there's a blue LED that blinks, and that means it's sending a BLE signal. zwift picks that up okay. there's a second LED, it's red, and that means the unit is picking up a HR signal. that's the sticky wicket. i guess i wonder what helps the device pick up a signal from my heart quicker. after it's warmed up, or i'm warmed up, okay. but that's 5 to 10 minutes. if you get to the start of a race late, and you don't have a proper warmup, you may have your race not count. if there is a specific something. some kind of gel. or some trick. i'd like to know.
I've decided that the strap that comes with the Tickr is the problem. I use the Tickr snapped into my old Garmin chest strap and it works perfectly. No lag or anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
24 hours later - are there any race 1 results posted anywhere? None appear on the WTRL website.

tinman
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Duathlon Race Series [tinman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tinman wrote:
24 hours later - are there any race 1 results posted anywhere? None appear on the WTRL website.

i do not see any. i made an inquiry. it's my guess that it'll take one race to work the kinks out. i'll report back what i hear.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this works really well

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sonogel-GELE100-Electrode-Gel/dp/B00BZ4SMOQ/ref=sr_1_4_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=tens+gel&qid=1613718389&sr=8-4-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExOVIyRlA0RUhYRUtBJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTA0OTM5NFlIUTU5TTQ3OTZWJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAwOTA1ODMzSVNZWTg4TkZCOTZEJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Duathlon Race Series [tinman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be fair to WTRL, they did say that they aimed to publiush 24 hours after the last race. The last race finished at 0800 on Thursday, so still an hour to go. I think that it may take a bit longer though as they iron out any issues
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Duathlon Race Series [mattsurf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to the e-mail that I just received they are indeed working hard on ironing out issues as the new target date to post the results is "before Race 2".
Last edited by: Ssys: Feb 18, 21 23:57
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Duathlon Race Series [Ssys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just saw the email too. It appears that that the results compilation is tougher than expected. It would be much better if ZP would also add the distance, then competitors could see roughly where they stand very easily
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WTRL in general have had a nightmare across all their leagues, ZRL, TTT and this in results, not through fault of their own but by getting incomplete or with 'issues and holes' in their own words. They then sort through them all verifying them. In general the first weeks results of a series are always delayed while its sorted out, but by week 3 or so its much smoother even with the rubbish data zwift seems to give them to work with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thoroughly enjoyed race 1! Also had a moment of excitement as I passed our very own Slowman on the run so obviously gave him a (St)Ride On!

I also saw a handful of slowtwitch kits on the bike leg.

As others have noted it would be great if we could sort on distance in zwift power while we wait for the official WTRL results to be posted.

Practise doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope they do a Zwift Duathlon Team League...
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Duathlon Race Series [Ssys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interested to see the results, got slaughtered on the bike, but ran in the front half of my heat., we had about 220 on the bike, and just under 200 on the run (I raced in slot D). That said, it was a lot of fun, it was the most "real" feeling virtual race that I have done since fall 2019, because it really felt like the back 2/3 of a sprint duathlon... Definitely have some work to do fitness wise, but it felt good to get that multisport race feeling again.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Duathlon Race Series [PrimalSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PrimalSteve wrote:
I thoroughly enjoyed race 1! Also had a moment of excitement as I passed our very own Slowman on the run so obviously gave him a (St)Ride On!

I also saw a handful of slowtwitch kits on the bike leg.

As others have noted it would be great if we could sort on distance in zwift power while we wait for the official WTRL results to be posted.

Dang. How does one obtain a "Slowtwitch" kit? Would be really cool. I saw a really cool jersey that said "Aero AF". Loved that as well.

Brian

"We don't inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children." --Chief Seattle
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Duathlon Race Series [teachersteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I don't know if anyone else has a LifeFitness T5 treadmill and had the same issue as me, but I figured out the problem today. Apparently you can only connect to one device or even one app within a device at a time. Since the LF app was connecting to my treadmill automatically, Zwift couldn't even see it. Once I quit the LF app, it showed up in Zwift.

Of course I'm sure this will not be the case Wednesday morning at 6:45am when I try to run. It can go no other way, right?
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Duathlon Race Series [osugasman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On a Mac/Windows computer hit “P” while you’re in game then type in SLOWTWITCH.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mattsurf wrote:
Just saw the email too. It appears that that the results compilation is tougher than expected. It would be much better if ZP would also add the distance, then competitors could see roughly where they stand very easily

Yes, that, or how about this - we all go in and crop our Strava activities at exactly the 35min/15min mark and create/join two Strava groups (one bike, one run - because a triathlon group sorts leaderboards by time not distance) and mark everything else from last week except the duathlon events as private, leaving only the bike and run from the duathlon showing on the club pages, then the two club Weekly leaderboards taken together will contain the results, which can be pasted into a google sheet, where the point multiplication can be applied and shared out. Crowdsourced, auditable results could have been done by Wednesday night :-) Oh, and everyone has to change their Strava username to be prefaced with their age group to facilitate sorting and filtering the google sheet. Simple. And anyone who doesn't want to do all that work is left out, resulting in higher placings for the truly...umm...dedicated, as it should be.

Kidding...sort of...I mean, it _would_ work. I will if you will.
Last edited by: skip: Feb 20, 21 9:32
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Duathlon Race Series [skip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People snipping their .gpx files, what could possibly go wrong... I don't really care too much about the results, it's more about getting that feeling of really smashing yourself like you would in a real race. Hoping to see some week on week improvement, but really it is more about getting the body used to racing again...
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Duathlon Race Series [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
People snipping their .gpx files, what could possibly go wrong... I don't really care too much about the results, it's more about getting that feeling of really smashing yourself like you would in a real race. Hoping to see some week on week improvement, but really it is more about getting the body used to racing again...

Agreed...see you in the matrix on Wednesday!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mattsurf wrote:
To be fair to WTRL, they did say that they aimed to publiush 24 hours after the last race. The last race finished at 0800 on Thursday, so still an hour to go. I think that it may take a bit longer though as they iron out any issues

This is frankly a joke at this point. 5 days after a race and no results. Clearly little to no thought was put into this on the front end. WTRL is quick to blame Zwift for crap data, but I've been quite unimpressed with them even prior to the Du series.

A monkey with an excel license could've figured this out by now. At this point, I'm wondering if Zwift even recorded everyone's distance for the Bike & Run. Doing this as time based is great...unless they fail to actually store completed distance, which would break the entire points based ranking system
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Duathlon Race Series [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

This is frankly a joke at this point. 5 days after a race and no results. Clearly little to no thought was put into this on the front end. WTRL is quick to blame Zwift for crap data, but I've been quite unimpressed with them even prior to the Du series.

A monkey with an excel license could've figured this out by now. At this point, I'm wondering if Zwift even recorded everyone's distance for the Bike & Run. Doing this as time based is great...unless they fail to actually store completed distance, which would break the entire points based ranking system

Somehow I can't imagine anyone setting up a race like this without first running some form of a test race which includes processing the data to compile the results. WTRL should have been prepared to process the 'crap' data from Zwift, which clearly they were not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

Tend to agree, something has gone horribly wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right? Any sort of communication would be appreciated. Even if it’s simply a “We messed up. Congrats on the solid workout. Here’s how we are fixing it...” type message

I’m skeptical that this is fixable at this point
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zwift does record distance, it's in the .fit file that zwift creates, if you go into analysis on Zwift Power, you can see your own file.

Now I'm speculating, however, the specific time racing is not recorded in the fit file, therefore the organisers may need to go through each fit file and Crop the the file from the exact start time to the exact finish time. If each file needs to be manually loaded into a database, this would be a significant workload, assuming 1 minute per file, 1600 competitors, 2 files each, 3200 files, 3200 minutes, 53hour 20minutes, around 4 days work for 2 people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. It is true, for example, that I warmed up on the bike before yesterday's Du and cooled down for a few minutes after the run. Since I auto upload to Strava from Z, I had a look there. Bike = 35:22. Run = 20:07. Of course my Garmin recording was nearly exact at a 35 min bike and 15 min run with a 10 min transition (I used a custom 'indoor cyclorun activity profile on my Garmin and marked the transitions manually). So what's going on here? I warmed up on the bike for about 10 min, but it seems as if Z recorded from the start of the bike and ended at the end, more-or-less - confirmed by the speed v time reported on Strava. The run recording, however, seems to start at the start, but include the cool down, also confirmed by the Strava speed v time. So, much depends on exactly what Z is doing to trigger the start and end. If they have the start of each leg in the .fit identified (and it seems as if they do from this n = 1), then they could robotically clip the .fit files at the appropriate elapsed times, even if the end time of the recording continues beyond the end time of the event. Now, if there is also ambiguity about the start time in the .fit for each event...*shakes head*...

EDIT: missing period
Last edited by: giorgitd: Feb 25, 21 5:08
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Duathlon Race Series [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that second race hurt way more than the first one... never felt like I could get a rhythm on the bike. My numbers were almost identical to last week (Avg Power and NP were both 1 watt lower, but avg. HR was 6bpm higher according to Zwift Power), although what that misses was the 20second power-drop out I had like 15sec in, where I was smashing mega watts but not moving, and was right at the arse end of the field. Made for some good hunting the rest of the way, but that likely accounted for the higher HR, trying to claw my way up the field. Started the run faster and stronger than last week, but had to ease up in a middle when the legs started to get a bit wobbly, before finding my legs again and dropping the hammer for the last 6min. Regardless of results/no results, it still feels good to get out there and smash a multisport race, even if all of the rust makes it feel horra-awful... If we actually get to race this year, this is great training for Sprint Du Worlds...
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Duathlon Race Series [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
giorgitd wrote:
but it seems as if Z recorded from the start of the bike and ended at the end, more-or-less - confirmed by the speed v time reported on Strava. The run recording, however, seems to start at the start, but include the cool down, also confirmed by the Strava speed v time. So, much depends on exactly what Z is doing to trigger the start and end.

For the bike event, it starts with the gun, and presumably you did End Ride promptly to go get ready for the run. For a run event, same thing, you can be warming up on the treadmill but that won't go to Strava, but when you are cooling down after the event, if you stay in the same world you're still in the same "activity" in Zwift so that extra time/distance goes to Strava, but Zwift should still be sending only the "event" (which ends with confetti and a time) to Zwiftpower, or rather that's what should get pulled by Zwiftpower. So Strava happening to have your continuation of running (or in my case standing there for a minute, then walking) shouldn't inherently be a problem for the race results.
Quote Reply

Prev Next