Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Zwift & Cell Phones: Your recommendation
Quote | Reply
Getting close to replacing my Samsung Galaxy S-8 Plus. It runs Zwift pretty well, unlike my new Windows laptop.

My main beef is battery power, I am limited to about 2.5-3 hours on Zwift.

What would be some solid phone choices (non-Apple) for Zwifting.

Thank you.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift & Cell Phones: Your recommendation [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why can’t you just plug in your device?

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used it a couple times with my S10e which seems to run smoothly.

However I also don't understand why you wouldn't use your "new" windows laptop??
I'm using an outdated Dell latitude (5years old, onboard graphics) which seems perfectly capable at medium resolution ... definitely a better experience than on my phone.
tbd I don't really notice the mediocre graphics after a while (esp. in races)
Last edited by: Kempenaer: Oct 29, 20 7:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why would your phone run zwift better than a pc? That seems quite curious

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift & Cell Phones: Your recommendation [rsjrv99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rsjrv99 wrote:

I switched from a Windows PC to old iPhone (6s). I was getting a lot of dropouts using ant and the Bluetooth works great. I use a “dongle” for power and monitor.
Last edited by: TJ56: Oct 29, 20 8:14
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift & Cell Phones: Your recommendation [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
Why can’t you just plug in your device?

We've got a winner!!

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift & Cell Phones: Your recommendation [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because that port is used to output to my big screen.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can you get a new phone with wireless charging? leave the phone on a wireless charging pad, which will free up the port for running to your display

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:

How about something like this:

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift & Cell Phones: Your recommendation [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These both look like excellent suggestions. Thank-you v. much. Any specific phone recommendations?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have ran zwift for a while now thru a google pixel 4, it works well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
These both look like excellent suggestions. Thank-you v. much. Any specific phone recommendations?

I am an iOs guy but in general, make sure whatever android phone you go with meets the Zwift device spec:

https://support.zwift.com/...-run-zwift-H1Cj9QbeB

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The big issue with a smart phone is screen size and BT drop-outs. now if you have a splitter and can output to a TV (or airplay, or whatever non iDevices call screen mirroring), and can use an Ant+ Dongle, then you're in business. I have only tried riding on Zwift once with my phone, but I've Zwift run through my phone numerous times (both at the gym, and at home, when my PC is too bloody slow to load, and I am just doing a quick run off the bike on the TM) and it's been decent, other than the small screen. I have a cable set-up in my paincave to charge my phone with, so I had no battery issues, and at the gym while running, the policy was max 60min on a piece of equipment, so I never tested the bounds on battery life...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get an iPad. I use android and the iPad runs zwift much better than my phone even though the ipad is using a 4 generation old chip- A10.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift & Cell Phones: Your recommendation [kini62] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kini62 wrote:
Get an iPad. I use android and the iPad runs zwift much better than my phone even though the ipad is using a 4 generation old chip- A10.

This. IPad 7th gen are pretty cheap. My Zwift runs amazing on one. I am an Android phone user.

Didn't some say here that an Apple TV box is the easiest and cheapest way to run Zwift?
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift & Cell Phones: Your recommendation [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
kini62 wrote:

This. IPad 7th gen are pretty cheap. My Zwift runs amazing on one. I am an Android phone user.

Didn't some say here that an Apple TV box is the easiest and cheapest way to run Zwift?

Sounded like the OP was going to get a new phone regardless. If it were me, and the old phone ran Zwift with no issues, I'd probably get a usb/hdmi/power adapter and relegate that phone to permanent Zwift service on wifi, get the new phone and use that to run the companion app while Zwifting...

Quote Reply
Re: Zwift & Cell Phones: Your recommendation [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
kini62 wrote:

Only issue with the Apple TV is the 2 BT connection limit AFAIK. I just watch on my iPad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
Getting close to replacing my Samsung Galaxy S-8 Plus. It runs Zwift pretty well, unlike my new Windows laptop.

My main beef is battery power, I am limited to about 2.5-3 hours on Zwift.

What would be some solid phone choices (non-Apple) for Zwifting.

Thank you.

Keep your Samsung S8 for zwift and delete all other apps. Buy an extension chord to keep plugged in while you ride. Or just get a tablet that can run it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Warbird wrote:
Hydrosloth wrote:

I use that adapter on my iPhone 8S. Lightning/hdmi adapter. Although the lighting bolt displays that the phone is charging, the battery is still draining. I was at 85% on tonight’s Zwift ride, about 70 minutes the phone was down to about 40%
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift & Cell Phones: Your recommendation [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MKirk wrote:
Warbird wrote:
Hydrosloth wrote:

I use that adapter on my iPhone 8S. Lightning/hdmi adapter. Although the lighting bolt displays that the phone is charging, the battery is still draining. I was at 85% on tonight’s Zwift ride, about 70 minutes the phone was down to about 40%

I use the Apple adapter with my iPad for Zwift. The first one I had did the same thing, battery level would drop during use. When I took it back, I was told it shouldn't be happening, and was given a new one. That one has worked perfectly for the last year, and will bring the charge up to 100% during a ride. I've seen several reviews that the Apple adapter can be hit or miss, like my experience, and that the knockoffs are usually worse.

Quote Reply
Re: Zwift & Cell Phones: Your recommendation [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a S10+ and a Roku or Chomecast on the TV, depending on which input my son left the TV I use either, but you can just use smartview and cast to the TV and then have the phone plugged in charging. Nice and clean setup, very little lag and the quality of video is just fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Warbird wrote:
Hydrosloth wrote:

I use a similar adapter for Zwift (but with my Macbook) since Zwift consumes lots of battery power and my laptop isn't always charged. Works like a charm!
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift & Cell Phones: Your recommendation [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJ56 wrote:
rsjrv99 wrote:

I switched from a Windows PC to old iPhone (6s). I was getting a lot of dropouts using ant and the Bluetooth works great. I use a “dongle” for power and monitor.

I found ANT to just inherently suck. Even the dongle on top of my trainer had dropouts. I switched to a Bluetooth receiver adapter that I connected to my pc and it works 100% now. Windows has native Bluetooth support and the Bluetooth dongle is exactly the same as the ant+, just a small usb bit

Strava
Last edited by: rsjrv99: Oct 30, 20 6:43
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift & Cell Phones: Your recommendation [rsjrv99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would be really cool if I could reliably run Zwift from this laptop (HP Elite, I-7 proc, 12 G DDR). So that option of the Bluetooth dongle sounds like a neat option. How many $.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
It would be really cool if I could reliably run Zwift from this laptop (HP Elite, I-7 proc, 12 G DDR). So that option of the Bluetooth dongle sounds like a neat option. How many $.

Less than $20 at any electronics store. I got mine for 15 at Best Buy. Fixed all my problems đź‘Ť

The laptop probably has Bluetooth already on it if it’s less than a few years old I’d think

Strava
Last edited by: rsjrv99: Oct 30, 20 7:07
Quote Reply

Prev Next