Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zwift Calculations
Quote | Reply
I know a person who can only hold 17mph when she races but somehow is racing at 382 watts and 4.5 watts per kg on zwift using estimated power.

makes racing on zwift no fun when you cant be sure the people you are racing are actually putting out the power they say.

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Calculations [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
u mad?
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Calculations [ollie3856] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ollie3856 wrote:
u mad?

u 12?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surfNJmatt wrote:

makes racing on zwift no fun when you cant be sure the people you are racing are actually putting out the power they say.

You have to learn to just set aside your ego for in-real-life races and have fun with the video game version. If you can't, then unregulated Zwift racing may not be for you.
Last edited by: trail: Mar 30, 18 22:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The potential and obvious cheating that is going on in online training is going to be a problem, but not insurmountable. One thing it does do however is let us know how many cheaters there really are out there. Doping is one thing, there is most likely a health cost there, or at the very least a perceived one. But give someone the ability to cheat with no consequences, and all of a sudden the numbers are going to dwarf real doping. This should give everyone a insight as to why there is so much real AG doping, it is a latent trait waiting in a lot of people, just in some it is strong enough to overcome the risks and hazards.

I think for now the online platforms are quit aware of the cheating going on and have started to address it. But at the moment they can only catch the far out outliers, and they will need more sophisticated programs to drill down to those fudging their weight by 10 lbs, or toying with the electronics in their devices.

I do like how this last race went though, you get your qualifiers nationally, doing your best to make sure they are legit. Then you bring them all to one place, make the race on all the same calibrated equipment. If someone virtually doped, they are going to get caught right then and there, so this kind of final will certainly discourage folks from taking slots they did not deserve.

I was talking to dan that once there is an organization in place and folks sign waivers allowing to be tested out of competition, we may see a knock on the door one day and a guy with a scale and motor detector will be at the door during an online workout. Instead of pissing in a cup, you will just stand on a scale, and they will take a look at your setup. No waiting, no discretion, you are busted on the spot!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Calculations [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
o he mad, bruh
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Calculations [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

I think for now the online platforms are quit aware of the cheating going on and have started to address it.

I'm not so sure, I think it's really open to abuse, not just from fake power / weight entries.

My daily work involves hardware / software connections - and often I need to simulate the hardware connection.

As ANT+ is an open protocol, it wouldn't take much to write something which simulates the communication and make Zwift think it's reading from a USB ANT+ stick, when in fact, it isn't. Then you could pump out whatever watts you like without even riding - hell, you could even write an app that allows you to modify this on the fly. I see you can already buy SimulANT+ on the the ANT website, which looks like it has this kind of functionality.

Bluetooth would be similar, maybe even easier, maybe using a Raspberry Pi 3 or something to broadcast.

Once the races become serious (prizes, sponsors etc) this will become a big issue.
Last edited by: bluefever: Mar 31, 18 11:13
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Calculations [bluefever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure, for serious races it would be an issue.

For day to day use, who really cares.

I don't at least... even racing on zwift it's just a workout and I can push harder/longer if I'm trying to keep up with someone.

At the end of the day, apart from my relatively abstract concern for how is it people take pleasure in accomplishing something they didn't actually accomplish, it doesn't matter all that much to me if a person I'm struggling to keep up with is legit or not. I'm more interested in my own numbers.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Calculations [dand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dand wrote:
Sure, for serious races it would be an issue.
For day to day use, who really cares.

Yep, agree 100%.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surfNJmatt wrote:
I know a person who can only hold 17mph when she races but somehow is racing at 382 watts and 4.5 watts per kg on zwift using estimated power.

My guess would be that she has her trainer set on the lowest resistance, when Zwift is calculating power based off of highest resistance level. If you look into it, Zwift tells you to set your trainer to the highest resistance. Rouvy asks you for the resistance level of your trainer when you set it up, but I couldn't find a way to change it mid-ride.
Quote Reply