Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zwift/Hammer Issues
Quote | Reply
I've got a cycleops hammer running on Zwift. At around 30-40 minutes my resistance changes stop working, basically does not change with grade changes. If I'm climbing up a 8% grade when it happens, the resistance stays the same for the rest of the ride, feels like I'm climbing a 8% grade with I'm descending a -12% grade. If I log out, and log back into Zwift it works for about another 30 minutes sometimes it will work for an hour. I run it on a PC with the ANT.

And yes, I've been working with cycleops/zwift tech support for the last few months without a solution. Has anyone had this happened, any solutions? Cycleops thought I was pushing to low a cadence, I push about 240 watts up a hill at 80 - 85 rpm. Is this too much?

thanks for any help, I'm up against a wall.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift/Hammer Issues [M&M Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Make sure your power supply plug going into the trainer is tight. I’ve had your issue happen on occasion and it hasn’t occurred again since I taped the plug onto the trainer. It’s really loose otherwise.
I have had it overheat on Alp DeZwift but solved that with keeping a fan on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you've literally been working with them for months on this, thats pretty bad support from a company that people say has such great support.
Is the unit still under warranty? If yes, they should have just replaced it...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you by chance also using a watch (Garmin or other ANT+/BLE compatible) to record your workouts? When I connect my fenix 5 Plus (assume BLE connection) while also having the Hammer connected to my Zwift PC app via ANT+ I've had the Hammer freeze up (no change in watts) after awhile into the session. Without the Garmin connection, the Hammer has been reliable with no dropouts.

tinman
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift/Hammer Issues [tinman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the responses. I use a garmin heart rate strap while riding that syncs up with Zwift. Tonight I did not use it and I got through an hour ride with no issues. Could this be the issue? I will do my 2 hour ride on Saturday and see if it happens. Thanks again.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Hammer with Rouvy byt have similar issues. Long climbs at lowest (36/28) gear and low cadence around 60. And around 225-250W.

I believe the issue is the trainer overheats or at least go into some form of rescue mode. Releasing sim mode so that trainer can spin faster hence pulling more air thou and cool it. After a while of this or a longer decent I usually come back to sim mode.

I have requested a feature from cycleops to add virtual gears make sure the trainer spins fast enough.

Personal best:
Ironman 9:22:02
Ironman 70.3 4:20:00
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift/Hammer Issues [teinvall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try aiming a small fan on it
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift/Hammer Issues [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m an owner of the original Hammer & am generally not a big fan of it. That said, I routinely do force dev. intervals at >360w & <60 rpm. They’re usually 3 min on/2 off for an hour plus & I’ve never had it stop pushing back.

Absent it being a Zwift thing the “too low cadence” explanation is utter garbage. While it’s n=1 & just my opinion, my personal experience with CycleOps customer service strongly lends itself to said “utter garbage” explanation.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift/Hammer Issues [HLS2k6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cycleops has stated that putting a fan towards it could help, seems crazy that it overheats, just by pushing some big gears. I will try a fan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My kinetic smart control Did the same thing last night. I am having connection issues... the darn thing keeps dropping signal multiple times a ride. I run the companion app via bluetooth... and then via my wireless network to the computer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M&M Tri wrote:
Thanks for the responses. I use a garmin heart rate strap while riding that syncs up with Zwift. Tonight I did not use it and I got through an hour ride with no issues. Could this be the issue? I will do my 2 hour ride on Saturday and see if it happens. Thanks again.

Matt

I don't think so. I've used this setup reliably for 3,000 miles. I did experience a single episode of the non-adjusting resistance, but it only lasted for a single ride, so probably not the same faulty mechanism.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift/Hammer Issues [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I made it 2.5hrs with no problems, I did not wear my garmin hr monitor again, this has to be the problem. Its old and would crap out within an hour on each ride.

Thanks for all the reply’s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6775783#p6775783

My post about the Magnus, but according to Cyclops customer support applies to nearly all smart trainers.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply