Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zoot Ultra Tri Bag 2.0 as carry-on?
Quote | Reply
Greeting forum. Doing my first "away game" (all previous IM and 70.3s were driving distance) and was curious if anyone has had any experience whether their transition bag was allowed as a carry-on for domestic US flights. Any information I have been able to find, or hear from airline people, seems to lean towards them wanting you to check all baggage larger than a small kid's school backpack. I've traveled quite a bit, however the Zoot tri bag I have is kind of in between (size-wise) my usual checked luggage and the day pack size backpack I generally take as a carry-on. My wetsuit, helmet, and a few other tri items were shipped with my bike (TriBike Transport), so my tri bag is much lighter.

I'm flying American Airlines, and would like to avoid checking any bags, so I can disembark the plane and leave the airport immediately. I'm inclined to try to take it as a carry-on, and accept the possibility that they may take the bag from me and place it in checked luggage once I'm boarding...that is unless I get a significant amount of responses saying you've been required to check bags of this size.

Any input is appreciated.

IMAZ in 16 days...totally not overthinking things, I promise.

"I drank what?!?!" - Socrates
Poor Swimmer. Weak Cyclist. Slow Runner.
TriDot Ambassador / Sacramento Triathlon Club
Quote Reply
Re: Zoot Ultra Tri Bag 2.0 as carry-on? [weakandpuny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't had any issues with Southwest, Alaska and Spirit airlines. I stuff the bag to the max, but they have never asked me to pay for bringing it onboard. It's a back pack, so it seems like guys at the counter just consider it as a personal item.
Quote Reply
Re: Zoot Ultra Tri Bag 2.0 as carry-on? [weakandpuny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just flew to Switzerland for AG ITU worlds.

Assuming you are flying with your bike, I would pack a lot of your transition items in your bike bag. Most large races won't let you leave your large transition bag in the transition area anyways. If you are shipping your bike or renting one, then this isn't helpful.

Good luck.
Quote Reply