Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zone 1 energy system or, Why am I so tired!
Quote | Reply
I have done a few longer roller sessions in the last couple weeks but nothing crazy (1-2 hrs) in zone 1/about 50% FTP. After each one i am wiped out the the next day, no real muscle soreness, just exhaustion. I get the same thing when I ride with a friend near his house where it is very flat and again mostly zone 1 effort (we have both noticed this effect for many years so I don't think it is age related). Two weeks ago I did a 3 hr ride in the hills north of where I live, not trying to set any records but there was plenty of climbing in zone 3/4, and I was not as tired the next day. I only seem to notice this after these "easy rides". I have read somewhere that you could essentially ride in zone 1 forever as long as you are eating and drinking. What is going on? Should I be fueling differently?
Quote Reply
Re: Zone 1 energy system or, Why am I so tired! [rrutis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw a YouTube by Cam Nicholls (sp?) that talked about pedaling through a whole ride versus freewheeling and that it might be more tiring for you if you pedal throughout. Could this be the issues? Just a thought.

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you eat less carbs on easy days?

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Zone 1 energy system or, Why am I so tired! [rsjrv99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rsjrv99 wrote:
Do you eat less carbs on easy days?

That's the first question I'd ask too.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Something sounds wrong. With your eating or what you are doing the other days

I do 3 hours on the trainer 3x/week zone 1 after a 2500 yard taxing swim with all out intervals. And then weights afterwards.

I eat bagels, crackers and gels with caffeine on the bike.

I can work a full day physical labor the next day with no I’ll effect.

Actually forget I rode just an hour after the ride

I’m 60 years old
Last edited by: MrTri123: Nov 30, 20 16:58
Quote Reply
Re: Zone 1 energy system or, Why am I so tired! [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could believe that no coasting is part of it but it should not be any worse than a trainer ride of the same length.
Quote Reply
Re: Zone 1 energy system or, Why am I so tired! [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do eat carbs on and off the bike, generally on the bike I have a combination of waffles, gels and Heed and off the bike, bread, pasta, cereal, etc. I do try to scale consumption with the effort...maybe this is where I am getting sideways. I should probably worry less about the calories and try an increased fueling rate on the bike for this lower intensity stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It could be endocrinological (maybe low T).

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Zone 1 energy system or, Why am I so tired! [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrutis wrote:
I do eat carbs on and off the bike, generally on the bike I have a combination of waffles, gels and Heed and off the bike, bread, pasta, cereal, etc. I do try to scale consumption with the effort...maybe this is where I am getting sideways. I should probably worry less about the calories and try an increased fueling rate on the bike for this lower intensity stuff.

Keep the food and carbs up on easy days, get more liquid sugars in on high intensity days but always keep eating, you need to fuel to recover too

plant_based wrote:
It could be endocrinological (maybe low T).

Hormones are very rarely a problem and a deep rabbit hole, get the carbs in and youll feel better

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrutis wrote:

I load up with carbs and Cals in general the night before

And eat quite a few carbs during the ride
Quote Reply