Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipps / HED3's or a Combo?
Quote | Reply
Curious to know your feelings on getting a set-up of Zipp 404's or HED3's or perhaps one of each 404 in front - HED in the back.

Season of Iron/Half/Olympic tris this year.

Going to go on a new P3.

Will probably go with the tubulars - though the thought of having to swap out brakepads from my trainers to race wheels will annoy the crap out of me.

Thanks all.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipps / HED3's or a Combo? [madisonbucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 2 cents: I'd go w/ a disk rear and a deep rim front. I don't think there is much argument that this is the fastest combo (big argument as to how much faster!). This is what i have on my P3.

FYI - I have never bothered to chamge out my brake bads to race.

Good luck,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipps / HED3's or a Combo? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second David's recommendation. There are obviously many choices out there, but two very good ones are:

1. Zipp 909-->Incredible. And you'll pay for it.
2. Hed Alp front + Hed disc rear.-->Top notch and priced to move.

Don't worry about wind and handling and all that. "If it's too windy for a disc, it's probably too windy for any deep dish rim."

-John Cobb to me when I was deciding what to buy.

Hope this helps. I went with the 909s. ;-)

=============
Adam Duncan
New York, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the posts - but a disc is not in the equation for me. Want only to have to buy one set of wheels and I think I'm going to be more practical. Would still be curious to hear about zipp 404 / hed3 combinations.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dual HED 3 will be the fastest non disk set-up. If it is too windy for this setup just go with normal spare wheels as a back up. HEDs also have an alumin rim so no problems with brakes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't want a disc and/or worried about the winds, I think a Hed 3 rear is the perfect choice. I'm not so sure if you want a that deep of a front if it is crosswinds you're worried about. I would probably go with a smaller rim depth on the front. If I could get one I'd go with the new Reynolds Stratus, 46mm deep, or perhaps a Corima Aero. If you like or want Zipps than I'd go with the 303. If I can I'm going to go with a Hed 3 rear and Reynolds Stratus front.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipps / HED3's or a Combo? [Luntzy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't see anyone talking about the new Spinergy Carbon SS (NOT the PBO spoked Tiliums, but the stainless steel bladed spoked wheels). Probably rightly so since very few people have them yet. Mine are inbound and I'll be sure and report on them quickly when I've got more time to ride them. They are significantly cheaper than the other current wheelsets (about $800). My team got them at even lower "team" prices and a couple of guys have already received their 700 models. The wheel appears much better finished than last year's Xaero Carbon which often had a lot of rough flashing around the rim. They ride fairly stiff and definitely provide an aero benefit at 45mm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went with that exact combination. For 2 reasons, I wanted versatility and speed on the back so I didnt want to have a disc that has a possibility of not being used in certain situations but I wanted to keep the overall wheel set light so I got a 404 front. I race on it this weekend for the first time. I think this is a great combo without getting a disc.

Greg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am on a Hed 3 rear (no need to change pads due to ali rim) and the front half of a Zipp 909 (what ever that may be - and I haven't chaged pads yet but plan on for this season) and it is a great combo on my P# - would have no hesitation in recommending it for all distances - ultimately would like a disc (to be used on certain courses under certain conditions) money is tight....

http://www.endurancesports.ca
Coaching and Training Camps

Quote Reply