Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp wheel stickers
Quote | Reply
I just received my zipp wheels yesterday. The 404 has a grey and white sticker and the rear 808 is a red and white. Did I miss a step, or is this how they come? How much of a problem will it be to replace the grey and white with the red and white?
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp wheel stickers [kd1958] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the rear is red and white then it is a 2007 model. Did you ask for a 2007? It does matter if they are tubulars, since they switched to their carbon bridge technology in 2008. For clinchers, I not sure if there were any changes. But you did get a 2007 and 2008 wheel.

Some vendors still have both models for sale. The 2007 is usually $100 to $200 cheaper than the the 2008 model. You can always order new stickers from Zipp to fix the visual problem.
Last edited by: Raptor: Sep 11, 08 7:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I assume you have Zipp 606. That does not sound right to me. You could call or email Zipp. Another thing is change the title of your thread to catch the eye of more posters.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp wheel stickers [Raptor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks alot for the information, both are clinchers. I got them from Excel sports and just spoke with them. They told me that they're trying to work it out what ever that means. The 808 was on sale but there was no info regarding what year. They don't look right mounted on my P3C being different colors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>> They don't look right mounted on my P3C being different colors

Take the decals off, go stealth, and it won't matter.

Plus, it'll look way cooler.

Way cooler.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp wheel stickers [bilmas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would like to see a photo of what that would look like if you have one:-)
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp wheel stickers [bilmas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How hard/easy is it to take off the stickers? I have some 2007 404's with the red styled sitckers and I would like to go all silver. . just wondering how hard it is to take them off and put the new ones on?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp wheel stickers [Tell3131] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They're stickers. If you have trouble with them find a 3 year old to help ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp wheel stickers [motriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh good, you live in St. Louis, so it won't be that far of a drive for you to do it for me then.

Yes, I know they are stickers, but didn't know if heat helped or will that wreck the wheel, etc. . ..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Kd1958 and All,

Do the stickers cover your dimples?

If so .... take them off and go faster.

Cheers,

Neal

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp wheel stickers [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who started that urban myth that the stickers cover the dimples?

Zipp original stickers do not cover dimples.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excel sports is going to send me an 808 with the grey and white stickers so I don't have to mess with it but heck, thanks for all the input.:-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Raptor and All,

My Zipp 808 wheels were older (from Wheelbuilders) and the decals did cover the dimples on mine as the stickers had a smooth surface.

Also removing my stickers saved 16 grams/ wheel - I weighed them.

On reading the thread below I see some Zipp decals are baked on - (with dimples?)

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=1234989#1234989

Cheers,

Neal

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>> I would like to see a photo of what that would look like if you have one:-)

I'll try to take some pics this weekend and post them. The stickers were easy to take off with the aid of a hair dryer. The heat softens the adhesive, and once you grab a corner, they come off in one piece. Acetone cleans up the residue. FYI, if you buy new stickers from Zipp they inform you to use acetone to clean up the rim before applying the new stickers, so I trust it won't do any damage.

If you've got one of the newer rims where the stickers are "baked on", then I guess you're stuck with them (pun intended).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Who started that urban myth that the stickers cover the dimples?

Zipp original stickers do not cover dimples.

Huh? The stickers go on the surface of the rim, right where the dimples are. Sure, many of the dimples can still be seen if you push the sticker down into them, but the stickers DO cover them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Lemond is cycling's version of Rev Jessie Jackson." -johnnyperu 5/18/07
"Just because I suck doesn't mean my bike has to" -rickn 9/2/08
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp wheel stickers [brandonecpt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not with the wheels I have. The dimples are there in the sticker area. I could not see a diiference between dimples in the sticker area and on the non-sticker area. The wheels I have are 2008 wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp wheel stickers [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The kid who rented a Zipp 909 disc from us and won US Elite National TTs this year had Zipp stickers and our stickers on the wheel. He crushed second place by 54 seconds. Stickers don't make you slow.

------------------------------------
http://www.racewheelrental.com
The easiest race wheel rental solution.
Pick up race wheels from your favorite local bike shop! https://www.racewheelrental.com/findshop/index.php
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Not with the wheels I have. The dimples are there in the sticker area. I could not see a diiference between dimples in the sticker area and on the non-sticker area. The wheels I have are 2008 wheels.

I didn't say you can't see the dimples through the sticker, I said the stick covers them. Whether or not the sticker actually gets placed inside the dimple is one thing, but the sticker still covers the dimples.

Unless of course you have the only Zipps on the planet where the stickers are under the carbon. There are a number of dimpled Zipps (can't remember which year) that have the stickers baked under the clear coat, but even then the stickers cover the dimples, which are both covered by clear coat.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Lemond is cycling's version of Rev Jessie Jackson." -johnnyperu 5/18/07
"Just because I suck doesn't mean my bike has to" -rickn 9/2/08
Quote Reply