Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp wheel recommendation for light rider
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for some race wheels for my P3C and I can't seem to locate any information regarding light (<150lbs) riders. I was looking at the zipp 808s but was told that I wouldn't see the benefits being so light. Can someone point me in the right direction? thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp wheel recommendation for light rider [kd1958] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think it really matters that you are that light. Run a disk in the back, or as deep as you can. Fro the front your weight might make a difference because deep wheels get blown around a lot. I'm over 180 and pretty strong and I an feel the wind push my 404's around. I have the new 303's (44mm) and they don't get pushed at all.

Aerodynamics says to go deeper, but I think that on gusty days you are better off with a shallowish rim to keep you going straight. I'd think that a 303 or a 404 in front is the best comprimise.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was told by my LBS that an 808 front was too deep for me. I'm 150lbs. I trust this guys opinion. 808 on the back no problem but front...I would think twice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you called Zipp ( 800-472-3972 ) to find out w/they recommend? You should be able to reach tech support during 9am-5pm M-F EST.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp wheel recommendation for light rider [BikeVA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sometimes walk around as light as 138-142 lbs and ride on 404's. They can get blown around a bit, but I haven't had any real problems yet. I personally don't want to go any deeper in the front though.

-------------------------
Trek Madone 5.9SL
Felt B12 (sold)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As deep as you want in the rear. The 1080 is amazing (as long as you don't want a Powertap on it). At 155ish I would stick with a 404 up front to make staying on the road manageable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll go against the trend and say that you will be fine with an 808 front. Amy and I have ridden BW100s on the front and rear as well as 808s right now. The 100s did not seem to handle as well as the 808s in the wind, especially if it was a cross/headwind..

I'm 140-145 lbs and Amy is less than that, and we've both been very pleased with the performance of the 808s, especially as a front wheel. For the back wheel, you want to have as deep of a wheel as possible.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp wheel recommendation for light rider [JamieJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I was told by my LBS that an 808 front was too deep for me. I'm 150lbs. I trust this guys opinion. 808 on the back no problem but front...I would think twice.

I wouldn't trust his opinion. Where do you live? I lived and raced in Oklahoma (OK has some wind...) for several years and at 156 pounds used a Hed Jet 90 + disc for all my races. My 127 pound wife uses my Jet 90 whenever I'm not using it.

Realistically, in the world of triathlon/biking, 150 lbs isn't light. It's very average.

I also don't understand the OP comment about not seeing the benefits of a deeper wheel. Why would you not see benefits? It's more aero. Aero is faster whether you are light or heavy. But again < 150 lbs. isn't light. It's heavier than almost all women, many of whom ride 808's.

Having ridden very deep wheels for a number of years, I've never understood the aversion some people have with deep wheels. I really have to believe most of it is just an impression without actual experience.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am around 155 lbs and ride 3spoke front and a disk. I am thinking about going with a deep 100mm front wheel. I have no worries about my weight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I weigh 64-65 kilograms and have used both the 808 and H3 in time trials. Get blown around a lot at higher wind speeds, but still considering the 1080 front now...
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp wheel recommendation for light rider [JamieJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just spoke w/a Zipp rep and found out that Zipp believes a rider as light as 130 lbs w/ good bike handling skills can be confident using up to an 808 on the front.

Overall as far as weight and bike handling skill go, bike handling skill is a bit more important than weight (although both aspects are important factors).

Looking forward to how folks' real life experiences play into the above mentioned. I'm a <150 lbs rider myself and have also been thinking about investing into a good all around set of race wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used 808, 404 and 303 a lot, as has my son who's a national TT champion. Both 6'2", me 185, he 170. He hated the 808, said it blew him around too much, particularly on the track. I've used the 808 three times and have decided that although it is fast, it requires too much concentration to keep it straight on a windy day (about 7 out of 10 days here). I sold the 808 front and I'm back to the 404 in future. My son prefers the 303 to 404 in road races and says he likes its ride better (other factors being the same). I've run discs on the back for many years and have used the 808 a couple of times and actually like it a lot on the rear.

I think the differences among the wheels are pretty small (except over a distance such as Ironman, where your time will be affected by a lot of other things than rim profile). If you're uncertain, I'd recommend that you go narrower rather than wider.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm right at 140lbs and use a zip 404 in front and a disk in back without any problems in moderate winds. Having said that. In New Mexico we can get some pretty serious winds and i would be scared to ride the 404 in front with 30-40 mph side gusts, which aren't uncommon. If the course was really windy I have used my training tire on front and a 404 on the back. I have never ridden a disk in heavy side winds and don't know how it would affect the handling. Hope that helps
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp wheel recommendation for light rider [BikeVA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmph.

@ 215 then I should probably be riding a double disc!!

Breakfast is for Closers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can't go wrong with Zipp 404s up front and in the back. If you do that and feel the need for more speed, then get a Zipp disc for the back. Tim
Quote Reply