Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp super9 fail
Quote | Reply
Last Saturday I rode IM Vitoria bike course in preparation for the race (whenever it will be, but that is another story...). I had a brand new Zipp super 9 sitting around waiting for a race to finally happen, so I thought it would be a good idea to give it a try. I setup the wheel tubeless and threw in a 11-28, and was good to go.

I uneventfully rode 135k, and when I came off the bike I found this damage in the disc (see images).

No impact or rub signal, just this carbon failure, looks to me that it is a wheel defect. I contacted the seller and I am now waiting for a reply from Zipp's rep.

I have no experience with wheel failure, and wonder if the disc is now safe to ride (I'd say it is not). Has any of you seen this happen before? what could be the cause? Do you think it is safe to ride?

In case you are wondering, I am 79kg, Âż174 lbs?, so well within the weight limits :-)

Sr. Salitre
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp super9 fail [SrSalitre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm no expert but that looks rough. More than just whatever the exterior is peeling. I'd stay off until you hear from Zipp.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think that is structural. I'll bet it got banged somewhere . . . maybe transition area. So sorry that happened to you.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that looks impact related, but i'd wait to hear from zipp before riding.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp super9 fail [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Fortunately I am in no hurry to ride the wheel, I don't expect to race until late may at best.

Sr. Salitre
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp super9 fail [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is structural, I cannot upload the video I made, but I sent a short clip to Zipp where you can see broken carbon fibers, here's a screen grab:

Sr. Salitre
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gotcha. Again, so sorry to hear about it. I have had many Zipp wheels and never anything like that. I too have a new Super 9 . . . haven't had the opportunity to use it much yet.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp super9 fail [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think an impact was involved:

• I was not aware of any impact during the ride (I know I could be wrong), and impacts this strong tend to leave a mark...
  • If you look at this pic, the damage seems limited to a particular carbon layer, it suddenly stops where the new layer begins (see the different tone) I'd say that this is not typical of an impact, looks more as a result of stress, and probably due to a faulty carbon layer?

I will not be riding the wheel until Zipp tells me it is safe to ride.

Edit: fix typo

Sr. Salitre
Last edited by: SrSalitre: Mar 9, 21 8:22
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp super9 fail [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your sympathy :-)

Yes, I have owned several Zipp wheelsets myself, and this is the first problem I have. I hope their warranty service lives up to the quality of their stuff.

Sr. Salitre
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I crashed and mine has way worse damage than that, but I just ride anyway with no problems. Damage is close to the hub though. I'm pretty light, so I don't give a crap. I have another new Super 9 disc sitting in my closet, so if this one gives out, I will switch to that one.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp super9 fail [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
I crashed and mine has way worse damage than that, but I just ride anyway with no problems. Damage is close to the hub though. I'm pretty light, so I don't give a crap. I have another new Super 9 disc sitting in my closet, so if this one gives out, I will switch to that one.
As a general rule, and simplifying a bit - closer to the hub may well weaken the wheel more and make a sudden catastrophic failure more likely since stresses are more concentrated closer to the hub.
It's not running out of wheels I'd be worried about, it's having a wheel fail under me. Your attitude is pretty reckless IMO, at least as communicated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw that before but closer to hub area.
If you are the original owner it’s a warranty.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp super9 fail [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:

How dumb are some people??? Who rides a wheel with crash damage?? Could kill himself or worse a fellow competitor with a high speed wheel failure.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp super9 fail [Clutch Cargo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clutch Cargo wrote:
I saw that before but closer to hub area.
If you are the original owner it’s a warranty.

I am. I contacted Zipp´s rep through the reseller and will be sending the wheel tomorrow for inspection. Hopefully I'll get a replacement wheel.

Sr. Salitre
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp super9 fail [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree 100%. No way I''l be riding this wheel again.I have had a serious crash before (not failure related, I was hit by a car while training) and I'd rather throw away the wheel than go through that again.

Sr. Salitre
Quote Reply