Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp releases wider NSW wheels
Quote | Reply
https://www.zipp.com/about/story.php?ID=864

https://www.bikeradar.com/...ts-and-prices-52361/

New for These Wheelsets
  • New rim profile optimized to be fastest with wider tires: These three new wheelsets now feature a 19mm internal rim width and corresponding outer rim shape for aerodynamic optimization with 25mm tires.
  • Carbon Clinchers that are tubeless: These wheels allow you to run tubeless or traditional clinchers. The benefits of tubeless include superior flat protection, the ability to run lower pressures, and a smoother ride with high cornering grip and low rolling resistance.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: May 31, 18 8:23
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp releases wider NSW wheels [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So the firecrest line gets the showstopper textured brake track and ABLC sawtooth technology. But it's not TLR. So the firecrest line is now just the old NSW line without the impress graphics.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp releases wider NSW wheels [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and without the cognition hub, right?

Why don't they bring the Super 9 Disc up to NSW level finally, with cognition hub, showstopper and impress graphics...
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp releases wider NSW wheels [Ben6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably because it doesn't sell as much.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp releases wider NSW wheels [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find it interesting that they simultaneously spec'd a wider tire and widened out the internal width. The change in both the height and the width of the tire ends up being pretty significant (dark blue line to red line is my best approximation in the change of the shape).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They don't update because they don't sell, and they don't sell because they don't update it. Oldest story in the book =)

But that must be the reason, cant think of any other. Though when I look at the discs they have on ebay, there never seems to be a lack of demand for them
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Considering how many people think a disc wheel will cause you to be blown off the road, I'd say Zipp doesn't sell very many.

They also have new competition from Roval with that awesome looking 321 disc. Perhaps they will eventually update it to NSW level.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ben6 wrote:
and without the cognition hub, right?

Why don't they bring the Super 9 Disc up to NSW level finally, with cognition hub, showstopper and impress graphics...

Correct. 177 hub on the firecrest.

Honestly, I think the firecrest line is now more appealing than the nsw considering the price and you get the better braking surface.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting.

But are there any tubeless tires that are proven to have lower RR than some of the best traditional clinchers (with latex) ?

I think not. But if l am wrong, l would be interested to see data to the contrary.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp releases wider NSW wheels [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vittoria Corsa Speed.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Corsa Speed. One could argue you could get very similar CRR with tubeless tires and better flat protection.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp releases wider NSW wheels [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anything else tubeless get good CRR?

If you know, what widths does this vittoria come in?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
23 and 25

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 23's measure 25mm on ENVE 7.8's already. The 25's must get close to 28mm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

Hutchinson Fusion 5 Galactik TL and Schwable Pro One test near the fastest clincher offerings on BRR’s list but you have to play games subtracting out butyl tube test results for the clinchers. Maybe Tom A will have a chance to test some of these soon.

Zipp recently started offering new tubeless tires about the same time they released their first 19mm internal width rim as the 303NSW TLR disc. These tires are marked as manufactured in France so the speculation is they may be produced by Hutchinson while their previous branded tires were Vittoria manufactured.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp releases wider NSW wheels [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

Hutchinson Fusion 5 Galactik TL and Schwable Pro One test near the fastest clincher offerings on BRR’s list but you have to play games subtracting out butyl tube test results for the clinchers. Maybe Tom A will have a chance to test some of these soon.

That's the old Fusion 5 tire as well, not with the new Mavic/Hutchinson "11Storm" compound. Which if you take the propaganda claim of 14% RR improvement over the old Fusion5, would put in pretty elite territory. Not quite CS, but in the ballpark of some very, very clinchers with latex.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp releases wider NSW wheels [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I find it interesting that they simultaneously spec'd a wider tire and widened out the internal width. The change in both the height and the width of the tire ends up being pretty significant (dark blue line to red line is my best approximation in the change of the shape).

I am curious about this drawing. I realize you put approximations on there but are the other widths supposed to be reflective of real world data? Where did this come from? It looks like it could be hugely useful if it's based on data (and there were a scale to go with it)
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp releases wider NSW wheels [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That picture came from HED

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The picture is based on actual cross sections from HED.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

I am curious about this drawing. I realize you put approximations on there but are the other widths supposed to be reflective of real world data? Where did this come from? It looks like it could be hugely useful if it's based on data (and there were a scale to go with it)

You can see tire width and height vs. internal rim width, pressure, and tire size in this graph from the silca.cc blog:
https://cdn.shopify.com/...11162943251104144686
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So with the release of these NSW wheels with wider width where fits the NSW 858 aerodynamic wise in this picture?

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply