Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp or Hed
Quote | Reply
This afternoon I was at Nytro with my friend to get him sized for a Cervelo P3 SL, as we were going through the process we noticed all the aero-wheels and we started to compare...We came up with a couple of combinations...Zipp Disk and 808 front..then the Hed wheels..Super Lite Disk and Hed 3 front...The cost of the Zipp at all3sports is just over $2200.00..The cost of the Hed wheels at under $1300.00...With all the money being considere here we noticed the big price difference...of course the bargain is the Hed wheels..but what do u think..and there some xtras added on to the purchase of wheelsets...
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp or Hed [shammyg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damn. you could get a cassette, tires, or whatever the hell you want...if you've got money to burn, buy zipps, (or give me the difference ;-) ) If you don't, get the hed's and some goodies!

Last edited by: GasMunky: May 7, 05 22:25
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp or Hed [GasMunky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I took another angle at this post...How about Hed super lite disk and Hed 3 carbon front and rear .and still under the amount of the Zipp purchase.. . a couple of wheel combinations for different courses (3 wheels for the price of the Zipp 2 wheels purchase)..still wondering....
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp or Hed [shammyg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Consider a Renn and an 808

or go for the gusto and get a set of 999's
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp or Hed [Gary Tingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the HED 3 and H3 disc (not too available). The other HED aero wheels are wonderful, except I would get a Renn before a HED disc as the HED discs get so beat up. (See other thread). Not sure why Steve just keeps on making that same old wheel.
The Zipps are nice wheels too, but are a tad pricy. For a disc the new Renns seem like a bargain. I have a bunch of wheels, but if I were to pick just two, I would get a Renn disc, or a set of 404's or Alps. That way I could use them for road races, triathlons, and even cross if I was ever good enough to risk my good wheels for that.
As far as an 808 front, not all people feel comfortable with that deep on the front, so the 50ish profile might be better for an all arounder. G
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp or Hed [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G-man wrote: As far as an 808 front, not all people feel comfortable with that deep on the front, so the 50ish profile might be better for an all arounder.

Very sensible approach. However, the 808 front clincher has less steering input in the wind than the H3 front clincher. At least, that's true on my bikes. I did what Gary mentioned, sold my H3 front for 385 on Ebay (so, it only cost me something like 50 dollars to ride for two years!) and got the 808 front. It goes well with the Renn disc rear.

That being said, the H3 is a nearly bombproof wheel....hard to go wrong with it. The Zipps are really nicely constructed and engineered...if you don't mind spending the money. I got my 808 on sale...actually, I used a coupon...they probably wished they would have exempted this new Zipp wheel from the coupon!

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply