Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp or HED Disc?
Quote | Reply
Simple question; would you rather have a Zipp 840 dimpled disc or a HED 650 Superlite if money were not an issue?

Thanks AndyA
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp or HED Disc? [AndyA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would have a Renn 5ive7even5ive over either of those discs.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp or HED Disc? [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with Bunnyman...Renn over either...But between the two you mentioned, the HED Superlight is not so superlight.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp or HED Disc? [TriPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Zipp will be lighter, albeit dearer in price. I have good suspicions that upcoming iterations of the Renn disc will end up equalling or beating the Zipp in weight within the next year. It is roughly within spitting distance of Zipp in weight as it is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After following the previous discussions regarding disk wheels I ordered the Renn disk. Way cheaper ($400) and lots of positive comments on this forum. I'm going to get fitted to my new P3 tonight and can't wait to strap on the Renn disk for the 2004 race season. Went with the HED Alps front - as light as the Zipp 404 and lots cheaper.

I'm aging up to 40-44 and couldn't think of a better way to mark the occasion. My non-tri friends can't understand celebrating turning 40. Oh what little they know... ;-)

Tinman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zipp 650c - 875 grams - $1,200

Hed 650 - Superlight - 1220 grams - $660

Hed 650 - Normal Disk - 1325 - $550

Renn 650c - 1020 grams - Cost $400

The Zipp wheel IMO is probably the best choice if money is of no concern, but if cost is a concern the Renn wins hands down. Zipps cost is double that of Heds and tripple that of Renns. On a course that has a lot of turns, I would say the Zipp would be the fastest. Some people perfer the breaking surface of aluminum, so then the Renn would be the choice. IMO the Hed is the clear loser in weight and price.

Renn's no fault warranty is pretty sweet.

If you were to buy the Renn, your savings over the zipp would allow you to buy a Taxc Flow ($400.00) + Zipp 404 front or put $800 towards a computrainer ($1,200) or what ever.

I mean if your goal is to be faster, you might be better off spending less money on the Renn and then with the saving purchase some tools which will help you with your training. Heart Rate monitor, Wattage meter, .....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before making a decision you should read Kraig Willett's wind tunnel test comparing a $59.95 CH Aero disc cover with a Zipp disc. It will cause you to rethink. It's $7.95 to join the site but well worth it.

http://www.biketechreview.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HED makes a nice reliable disc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zipp disc if money isn't a concern to you. I'd get a Renn if it were. Hed only if you had a Hed front wheel and were anal and wanting a matching pair. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do they have a track disc? Is it convertible? Any plans?

I'm shopping for a super stiff rear disk a la Corima or Araya.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp or HED Disc? [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've ridden the entire range of hed discs, a zipp 909 disc and a corima. I could have bought any of those. I purchased the Renn 575. Why spend the extra $2-400 dollars to go just as fast.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp or HED Disc? [tinman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You will not be sorry. While your friends are accruing interest and struggling to pay off their Zipp discs, you will be faster by the shear means of being able to not work so much over time to pay for your Renn.

What is the point of paying three times as much to get the same performance, again?!?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frank's trying to get out a Campy disc at the moment. I don't know if a track wheel is in the plans at the moment.

I am not worried as I have an old as dirt Zipp track/freewheel flip-flop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be honest, I'd go with the G-Force disc. Not only do you get the benefits of a lenticular disc, but it only weighs around 11 grams more then a Zipp (that's a quarter and a nickel worth of weight) And, it still comes in cheaper than the Zipp! You could say it's the best of both worlds!
Quote Reply
g-force disk??? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so who makes the g-force disk?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been watching and waiting for the new HED disk to arrive in stock........it's 970G for a 700c........i can't wait......due sometime in Feb i beleive.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp or HED Disc? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input guys

I have decided to buy both! A Zipp for racing to complement my Mavic IO5 front wheel and a HED disc and H3 front for training. I did look at the CH aero covers but they do not come in 650!

AndyA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having ridden both Zipp and hed disks (not these particular models), the Zipp seems to have a better build quality and rides better. The hed wheel rides good, the Zipp wheel rides very good. I think that John Cobb has commented that the dimples have little if any effect on the aerodynamics but they do add a cool factor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay! Now you've got my curiousity up.

Why would you ride a disk in training? Why would you ride a $600 wheel in training?

All of the rest of this thread was irrevelant unless there is some logic to that choice.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Re: g-force disk??? [Tai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They're made by a company out of Australia called X-treme Wheels. They're website is still under construction, but you can check out their products at www.bobozone.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sent my 3D disc back to Hed and they converted it to a track wheel.Seems stiff.You're welcome to try it any time.I could send to you so you wouldn't have to make the drive.
Cullen
Quote Reply