Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp or Corima brake pads?
Quote | Reply
Finally wore out my brake pads (they were red Kool Stops I believe). I am looking at the Zipp and Corima pads to go with a Zipp 404/Disc set, both of which have carbon braking surfaces. The Corimas are about 1/2 the price of the Zipps. Good/bad experiences with either?

Any problems using the same pads on aluminum training rims? This is what I did with the Kool Stops and never experienced any problems. I'm sure the best option would be to swap pads before and after every race, but that gets tedious.

Thanks for any input.

sweet
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp or Corima brake pads? [Sweet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Finally wore out my brake pads (they were red Kool Stops I believe). I am looking at the Zipp and Corima pads to go with a Zipp 404/Disc set, both of which have carbon braking surfaces. The Corimas are about 1/2 the price of the Zipps. Good/bad experiences with either?

Any problems using the same pads on aluminum training rims? This is what I did with the Kool Stops and never experienced any problems. I'm sure the best option would be to swap pads before and after every race, but that gets tedious.

Thanks for any input.

sweet

The shimano carbon brake pads are half the price of the Corimas. :-)

I have use my shimano carbon brake pads (I have 404's and Corima disc) for racing and training. No problems with my al training rims.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am pretty sure that the Zipps are made by kool Stop.

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp or Corima brake pads? [Trevor S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply][reply]

Thanks for any input.

sweet [/reply]

The shimano carbon brake pads are half the price of the Corimas. :-)

I have use my shimano carbon brake pads (I have 404's and Corima disc) for racing and training. No problems with my al training rims.[/reply]

I second that, easy breezy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. Who has the best prices on Shimano pads for carbon rims? Tri-Zone, Tri-Sports, BikeTiresdirect, all have them for about $20 a pair which about twice the price of Corimas. Let me know if you have a better source.

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do you have to use the carbon for carbon zipps? whats the problem with not using them?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp or Corima brake pads? [Bladed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I am pretty sure that the Zipps are made by Kool Stop.

I would suggest Excel Sports (http://www.excelsports.com). Zipp carbon brake pads are indeed nothing more than Kool Stop carbon pads with a Zipp logo applied and $10 added to the price tag. Both Shimano Dura Ace and Zipp carbon brake pads typically sell for $19.95 while Kool Stop carbon pads are only $9.95.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp or Corima brake pads? [jwrdds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, you do not have to use the carbon brake pads with carbon rims, though Zipp, Corima, etc would probably recommend using them. Regular pads definitely wear out faster than those designed for carbon rims. Carbon-specific pads are also supposed to offer better performance (but I couldn't tell the difference between the Kool Stops and regualr dura ace pads). I believe, but am not certain, that carbon-specific pads are also supposed to dissipate heat better (adds a tiny bit more to your peace of mind on long descents on tubies).

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thanks for the info. Who has the best prices on Shimano pads for carbon rims? Tri-Zone, Tri-Sports, BikeTiresdirect, all have them for about $20 a pair which about twice the price of Corimas. Let me know if you have a better source.

Chris

Geez...you're right. Sorry. The Corima's I guess come in packs of eight on Nytro so all I ever saw was the $40.00.

Anyway I usually buy replacement shimano pads once a year. Usually from Excelsports.

But check out www.qbike.com for fast comparison.

Again sorry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shimano Carbon brake pads (interesting color/texture): http://www.excelsports.com/...&vendorCode=SHIM

Kool Stop pads (ordered some this morning): http://www.excelsports.com/...;major=1&minor=8

Corima Carbon Pads: http://www.nytro.com/...ister_Pack_of_8.html

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply