Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp Wheels
Quote | Reply
First post here, thinking about purchasing a pair of Zipp 404, have two options to consider and am looking for advice from the forum. Looking at an older set of 404 clinchers (with the aluminum ring around the breaking surface), which also includes a PowerTap hub but no head unit. Best guess is wheels are 5 years old and in good condition. How do these wheels compare performance wise with the FireCrest 404 clinchers? Is it essentially worth double the costs to spring for the FireCrest? I ride a Cervelo P2C and am used to the Shimano R500 wheelset. Just so you know my ability, i am a 39 yr old age grouper, fair to say biking is my strength. Typically average 24-25 mph for flat Oly distance courses. Just did Columbia Oly last weekend (very hilly) on a pair of rental FireCrest 404, averaged 22.1 mph or thereabouts.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Wheels [mja74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have a powermeter? Do you want one?

FC are better for a lot of reasons, mine is that the tires are VERY easy to replace versus the older aluminum rim wheels.

That being said, a 5 year old wheel MAY have problems with it down the line or already. Bearings, spokes, aluminum track weakening.

Worth double the money? Only if I had the money to burn AND I already owned a powermeter or didn't want one. Otherwise I would invest in the older 404's with powertap and get the head unit. It will benefit you much more in the long run by helping you train and race with power to get that much better versus a few seconds aero savings for the FC (and easier tire changing).
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Wheels [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you very much for your response.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless you want a PT, I would pass. I used a PT in the past and while it is a good tool, it is heavy. The FC is a nice step up in performance also.

Quote | Reply
Just got a set of FC 404 clinchers. I got them off of the classified section here for $1500 fairly unused.

- Powertap? If you have raced with power, you realize it's value. If you have not, then you won't be missing it in the races...especially if you're already blitzing the bike at 24-25mph. To run off the bike effectively, you wouldn't want to overdo it anyways in terms of pacing for the longer distances. If you're already effective at pacing the bike at such a high speed, then a need for power numbers during a race will prob mess with you more than help you. If you're using it to get better by training with it to improve certain power levels and durations, then by all means get one

- 404FC? I'm not sold on how much they can help me in the real world (outside of a wind tunnel)...I own older Zipp pre FC 808 and Sub 9 disc...I can't say the Firecrest "feel" faster. They will hold speed nicely at the higher 23-27mph range when all hell is breaking loose. But my 808s held speed well enough too. I haven't done an A/B test on the two sets yet, but my rides on the FC haven't really sold me they are that MUCH better than the older 808s...which BTW you can find with powertaps built in pre-owned here in the classifieds and &bay..

As the saying around here goes, aero will trump weight in the right race situation, so the weight penalty of the powertap is negligible depending on races you do.

I'm shooting for this setup this year...404 FC (got them pre-owned already) + stages Dura Ace power meter (yes, I know about the shortcomings of the system so don't flame me) ...I do have a 32 spoke training wheelset with a powertap to use outside of races. The crank based system for me will let me use any wheel I want for racing or training.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Wheels [TiUltimate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You do realize that wind tunnel testing is designed to mimic the outdoors and help develop products for real world conditions, right?

Your sentence makes it sound like the real world and wind tunnel are two completely different scenarios.

-Physiojoe

TiUltimate wrote:
- 404FC? I'm not sold on how much they can help me in the real world (outside of a wind tunnel)...

-Physiojoe
Instagram: @thephysiojoe
Cycling coach, Elite racer on Wooster Bikewerks p/b Wootown Bagels
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Wheels [Physiojoe925] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We've all read most of the aero data, and there are so many other data points outside of a consistent yaw angle whether it be 10-20 degrees to really tell how a wheel may ride outside.

Wind tunnels are for perfect repeatable testing...outside, nothing is perfectly repeatable. However, I can at least point at a wind tunnel result and say yes that wheel is faster than the other at a certain yaw angle, but that's about it. How these wheels ride on MY bike with ME on it may not correlate to whatever testing protocol the Zipps went through.

I'm no rocket scientists, but this isn't rocket science either. If the wheel helps, then thats good...bottom line.

For me, I have to ride these wheels more to really say whether they help or not more so than the 808s. I bought them mostly because most of my racing will be over rollers and I'm not one of the big horses that need the 808 setup all the time. However, I do appreciate that the new FC 404s aero tested as good as 808s without the weight penalty for going up a climb no one told me was on the race course after hammering it on the front.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Wheels [TriA6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool site. Heard of it before, but never really read into it. Thanks.

I'm really hoping these 404 will help me survive the climbs better while not losing any aero...the data certainly says so, but only racing will prove it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've tried both and the Firecrest are much better. Lighter and faster in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fellow Cervelo owner here....2011 model P4. Looks like you do pretty decent bike times for an OLY. Beginning of last year, I found some good deals and upgraded to a new Zipp 900 rear disc and a new 404 carbon clincher (non-Firecrest). I'm only doing OLY's this year and have had good success with this combination. Not sure if I would buy something 5 years old unless I could verify it's use.....who knows how many hit potholes.....condition of spokes, etc. Would suggest having checked out first by LBS if you decide to purchase. If you identified your budget range, types of races you typically do, and how long you plan to keep whatever you purchase, you might get more alternative suggestions from fellow ST'rs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've owned 3 different generations of the 404s and a set of 303 FC among MANY other wheelsets. The current 404 FC are easily one of the best all-round wheelsets you could ever own and experience. You just can't go wrong with those.
Quote Reply