Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp Wheels On Ebay - Legit?
Quote | Reply
Right now there are a bunch of wheelsets on ebay from a couple of dealers that are selling them with a Buy It Now for $949...how is that possible? I thought Zipp had limits on how low you could sell them...

Tom - any input on this? If you wanted to sell wheels on ebay - could you?

(yes, I am too selling a set of wheels on ebay...but I posted them in the classifieds)
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Wheels On Ebay - Legit? [madisonbucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Tom -"

Just went on the ebay sites and noticed that the seller has over 100 positive hits which makes this seem more than likely that it's legit. No doubt it is. I buy stuff off ebay all the time and have scored some things at less than half price than normal retail. It could be a bancruptcy sale or whatever.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Wheels On Ebay - Legit? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw that too - but it just seems odd that he/she has so many sets and is selling them for so much less than everyone else...

I know most companies, including Zipp, usually have limits as to how low you can sell...

I buy and sell a bunch of stuff on ebay all the time too - just curious what the story is...I emailed him/her to find out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
these are probably legit. I like to check the recent auctions for the seller. If hes sells bike stuff all the time, he is probably legit. If he has a track record of selling used underwwear for $1.00, and now he is selling big buck items, proceed carefully.

I have been following sales of Trek 5900's on eBay for some time. It seems that more than half of them are obvious frauds. Amazing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I picked up a set of 909 Zipp Wheels last year on ebay. They were a "Buy it Now" and advertised as brand new, 2003. Cost, $1,200. I received them in perfect order within days. It was a good purchase and saved me over $400 over retail.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have dealt with some of the auctions on ebay that seem too good to be true and have always been happy with the deal. But, after talking to several bike shops about such things, sometimes these are what they call gray market and getting warranty coverage or service after the sale from zipp might not be covered.

Worth checking out.

Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my opinion, I look for the the following:

-past 3 months of selling

-willingness to be open and honest

-paypal verified

-other items they sell

I purchased 2003 Mavic Ksyriums SSC SL from a bankruptcy liquidator and only paid $450 for them last November, and sold my Bontrager racelites for $250. They were definitely worth the money. I have also purchased a 2003 Trek TT frameset of the internet and paid about 60% compared to regional bikeshop prices.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Wheels On Ebay - Legit? [hansoa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I asked the seller about how he was allowed to get the wheels so cheeply and where he got them....and this is what he replied...don't know what to make of this....?

"If I told you that, I wouldn't be in business. The wheels are aquired
legitimately, and do come with the full zipp warrranty

thanks

Sung"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oooh stolen goods...

jk

I don't know, these peopel usually buy them from liquidating (sp) shops, or find they even cheaper and then sell them for a small profit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's my thoughts. If you want them, buy them from the guy selling them for like $949 on buy it now. I looked at his history and I would buy from him. Had I not built my Trek TT and just had knee surgery, I probably would buy the 909 set. If you are worried, I think paypal was offering fraud protection, plus he is also verified.

It might be a wholesaler selling them on the side. High volume with low profit. He probably would get in trouble if Zipp found out that he was undercutting others.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Wheels On Ebay - Legit? [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I doubt it, he's probably just playing some games with the currency market. Costco used to do the same thing with Cannondales.

Or he could be buying them through the regular channels and willing to go to the trouble though he's only making a couple hundred bucks per sale.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This sounds legit to me. He reads and writes English, has a good track record and operates domestically. I would go for it from whay you have said so far.
Quote Reply