Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp Wheels & 25c Tires
Quote | Reply
Curious when the wheels were made to best suit 25c tires. I've got a set of older 808s and I am looking to get some GP4000s tires and I'm not sure if I should do 23c or 25c on them. Was there a model year where it made more sense to go 25c than 23c? These are no FC (no dimples) and when I measured them across they are from outer edge to edge 25mm so I'm thinking 23c makes more sense as the bead would likely be closer to 23mm.

Any advice is appreciated.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Wheels & 25c Tires [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't give you specifics for the Zipps but I have some trainingwheels that are 23mm wide (outside) and a 23mm Conti 4ks is already 25-26mm on that one, so I can't imagine a 25 would be advisable from an aerodynamic standpoint. For comfort it will probably be nicer though, although the 23 is plenty comfortable for me at 8bar. I haven't mounted a Conti 25mm but have put on a Michelin Pro 4 Endurance 25mm and that was more like 28mm. Vittoria 23s I've found are more true to their label, or even on the narrow side, measuring 22-23 on a 23mm rim. Just some info to help you out, I'm sure others will have the Zipps mounted with Conti's, that has to be the most common combo.

Edit to add: Flo's wheels were windtunnel tested with Conti 23s as being most aero, just wanted to add that, another wide rim parameter for you.
Last edited by: snaaijert: Apr 15, 15 9:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I should also mention I know I can put them on but the question is more for time and energy savings over a HIM course. I figured 23c is the wiser choice but I didn't want to pull the trigger until I asked the experts. I thought they'd be too wide and actually be less aero as 25c

------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait, I'm confused. Didn't pre-FC 808s all have very narrow brake tracks? Aluminum rim right? I use a Flashpoint 80 which comes straight out of the old 808 mold and the outer width of the brake track is only ~18.5mm.

20mm Supersonics are the best on these. If you want to use more robust and larger tires, I'd suggest the 22mm Attack front and rear. No bigger. And don't train on your race tires.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Wheels & 25c Tires [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes it is an aluminum brake track indeed. I didn't exactly use precision instruments to measure but a measuring tape so there is room for margin of error. It's looking like the 23c is the best option. I'd like to steer away from the Attack ones and stick with the slightly more durable GP4000s II model. Appreciate your suggestion though.

------
Last edited by: cshowe80: Apr 15, 15 9:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The puncture resistance of the Attack is just as good, it has lower rolling resistance, and better aero performance. It will wear out sooner because it has thin tread, but you shouldn't be training on your race tires.
Quote Reply