Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp Tangente Dimpled clincher tire
Quote | Reply
Has anyone used one of these? They are made by Vittoria and designed for areo wheelsets.

from the description....

According to Zipp's tests, the Tangente will save you 1-3W of energy in comparison to other high end tires. They're handmade from the finest 290 TPI corespun casing and silica tread compounds available -- in essence combining the highlights of the Vittoria Corsa CX (its supple casing) with the best of the Continental GP4000 (its cornering characteristics and road feel). 210g for the clincher version. 700x21mm only.

I am debating between a set of these and a set of Vittoria Open Corsa Evo Cx with a 320 TPI. I believe the Corsa's may give me a smoother ride.

My training tires are the Continental GP4000's so the fact that Zipp compares to them is intriguing to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Tangente Dimpled clincher tire [T-Scorp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would like to know too. I am considering both of those tires also.

Hopefully someone will of used these tires and can comment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a sales rep for Zipp, so know that going in to my comments on the tire.

I have been riding only these tires for a couple of years now. Before these tires, my favorites were Conti GP4000s and Conti Force and Attack.

I love the Tangente, especially the 23mm. The 21 is nice, and faster in the wind tunnel, but I just like the way the 23 rides better, it seems to provide some more give, as well as sticking to the corners better, and lasts longer.

I am getting decent life and flat resistance out of this tire for a high performance tire. Sure the GP4000s last longer, but the Zipps are a far superior ride and corner much better.

I think the description is pretty accurate, it is sort of a combo of the GP4000 and Corsa CX. Also, I notice that description says 21 only, but 23s have been available for months in both the clincher and tubular.

They're good tires, if you have an specific questions, let me know and i will try to answer.

---------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer: This poster is a sales rep in the bicycle industry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the zipps on my racewheels currently. I wanted the vittorias but they were out of stock and I was impatient so I paid a little more for the zipps. The dimples are so small that I can't imagine that they actually do anything but then who knows. They are also pretty much worn off at this point. I would buy the cheaper ones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 808F came with a Zipp Tangente 23mm glued. It has great life to it, it's a great race tire, and seems to be really fast. I will probably buy a Vittoria EVO when this one flats / dies, because I had those on my previous wheels, and they were great. I can't tell the difference between them, so the $10 more for Zipp may not be worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran a 21c tangente on my front 404 towards the end of last year, and was pleased w/ it. Before that I had a 20c Conti supersonic, so the zipp felt plush by comparison (side by side, the difference in manufacture definitely appears more than 1mm), but still relatively narrow. This year, I got a bonty aero 19 for the front, and will move the tangente to the rear to replace the 23c PR3 on there now. Still running the older, narrower rims compared to the Hed C2s and latest Zipps, so I think the narrower tires are a good match at least for shorter Tri/TTs. Definitely would go back to 23's for road racing, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used both the 21 and 23c clincher and tubular tires in training and racing and on just about every wheel combo you can imagine.

The tires are a very solid blend of durability and speed (rolling resistance). I logged 2500miles on a set of 21c clinchers before I was willing to race on them. They performed very well. Since them, I have been very pleased with their performance in races, though I do believe the 21c is too narrow to run on a disc on anything but VERY good roads. It is fine on the front (if you are light), but the new 23c is my default tire.

A 21c front and 23c rear is what I would recommend, unless the roads are really bad then a 23c front is more advisable. I used a 23c front for both IMC and IMAZ, as I think the greater air volume is preferable. But I used a 21c front for Abu Dhabi since the roads were so good (but I had a 23c with me).

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Tangente Dimpled clincher tire [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I've used both the 21 and 23c clincher and tubular tires in training and racing and on just about every wheel combo you can imagine.

The tires are a very solid blend of durability and speed (rolling resistance). I logged 2500miles on a set of 21c clinchers before I was willing to race on them. They performed very well. Since them, I have been very pleased with their performance in races, though I do believe the 21c is too narrow to run on a disc on anything but VERY good roads. It is fine on the front (if you are light), but the new 23c is my default tire.

A 21c front and 23c rear is what I would recommend, unless the roads are really bad then a 23c front is more advisable. I used a 23c front for both IMC and IMAZ, as I think the greater air volume is preferable. But I used a 21c front for Abu Dhabi since the roads were so good (but I had a 23c with me).

Sounds like you just need a Titanflex and/or a HED Jet disk. ;)

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Tangente Dimpled clincher tire [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Sounds like you just need a Titanflex...

Kill. Me. Now.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kill. Me. Now.

Didn't someone try that recently? :)

-Jot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Sounds like you just need a Titanflex...

Kill. Me. Now.

You've clearly spent far too much time with Paulo.

BTW, to get this thread back on track, the 21mm Zip clinchers worked well for me on a HED C2 wheel. I don't have aero or power data, but the ride is nice and the fit "looks" good on the rim.

But...

As I do have the luxury of riding a TF, I've since gone back to 19mm HED wheels and use the 19mm Bonty tires.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all for the information. I'll be putting them on HED 3's if that makes a difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found the Zipp's bead to be difficult to get on and off the rim compared to the Contis and Corsas. I have actually broken an iron trying to get one on! Keep this in mind in a race situation when you want to change a flat as quickly as possible.

Straightenin' the curves; Flattenin' the hills
------------------------------------------------------------
Coached by Mike Plumb @ TriPower MultiSports
https://www.strava.com/athletes/1149072 - https://www.instagram.com/thoswoods/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
T-Scorp wrote:
Has anyone used one of these? They are made by Vittoria and designed for areo wheelsets.

from the description....

According to Zipp's tests, the Tangente will save you 1-3W of energy in comparison to other high end tires. They're handmade from the finest 290 TPI corespun casing and silica tread compounds available -- in essence combining the highlights of the Vittoria Corsa CX (its supple casing) with the best of the Continental GP4000 (its cornering characteristics and road feel). 210g for the clincher version. 700x21mm only.

I am debating between a set of these and a set of Vittoria Open Corsa Evo Cx with a 320 TPI. I believe the Corsa's may give me a smoother ride.

I'm getting a set of Firecrest 404 Clincher Wheels, and I am trying to decide if I should match them up with Zipp Tangente, or stick with what I already have, Vittoria Open Corsa. I was also thinking that the 700x23 would match up best with the wider firecrest wheels. Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Tangente Dimpled clincher tire [Dreadnought] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
23 is good, but 21 is still better w/ FC wheels.

Both tires are good choices, depends on what you are doing I guess.

have you checked AFM's rolling resistance chart?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the 23mm Tangente clinchers daily. I really like the ride and they seem to last a decent amount of time. Prefer them over the Conti 4000s. I have a 21mm Tangente as well that I swap onto the front wheel for races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been using almost exclusive Vittoria EVO CX 320TPI and Zipp Tangente tires the last 2 years, both my wife and I, for bike racing, tris, and time trials.

They are very similar tires, same casing, different tread. The Zipp tread is a little thicker, so a wee bit more durable, I also *think* I notice that it has a bit more grip, mostly noticed when braking hard.

The rolling resistance between the two tires is very close, with the vittoria being a bit better, but the tread shape of the Zipps is supposedly a bit more aero and a slight overall win speed wise.

The Vittoria is cheaper of course.

Both great tires, can't notice any comfort difference though theoretically the Vittoria should be more comfy but that is splitting hairs.

I sometimes use either of these as training tires for a bit once they are retired from race duty, haven't had any issues.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Tangente Dimpled clincher tire [ericM35-39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM35-39 wrote:
23 is good, but 21 is still better w/ FC wheels.

Both tires are good choices, depends on what you are doing I guess.

have you checked AFM's rolling resistance chart?

23 is better with the 303FC. 21 is better with 404 & 808FC.

I've been using these tires for over four years now for both racing and training. I think they are a great all around tire for durability, aero, Crr, etc. Are they the best in any one category? No. But they do everything I need pretty darn well.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raced for the past 4 years with Tangent 21s on 404s, 808s and 1080s. Great tire. Can't really comment on wear because they are my race wheels but I am on my second pair going into my 5 th year of racing. Between racing and some pre- race rides, they get about 500-600 miles per year. Will buy another set.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Tangente Dimpled clincher tire [Ironuke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, everyone for your input.

I finally decided to get the Zipp Tangente and they look great on the Firecrest 404's, but it was a tough choice.

Slightly decreased rolling resistance but improved aerodynamics and grip.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Tangente Dimpled clincher tire [More Cowbell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
its the same bead as the vittorias
among the easiest to mount in this universe!

More Cowbell wrote:
I found the Zipp's bead to be difficult to get on and off the rim compared to the Contis and Corsas. I have actually broken an iron trying to get one on! Keep this in mind in a race situation when you want to change a flat as quickly as possible.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply