Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp Super 9 freehub catching
Quote | Reply
I have had a couple of races where I have shipped a chain while freewheeling. It seems that freehub sticks a bit creating slack in the chain. I have disassembled and cleaned and it seems to spin ok in the hand, but back on the bike it still catches enough to throw the chain particularly in the 11. Any tips greatly received!
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Super 9 freehub catching [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it possible you have the pre-load nut (on the non-drive side) set too tight? Does the axle spin very freely in your hand?
Remember, Zipp themselves say that the wheel should have a tiny bit of play in the axle, that this is normal on the wheel to have things moving freely.. I think there were some earlier threads discussing that.
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Jul 1, 18 5:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
me too, too embarrassed to ask

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clean everything and very minimal light oil.
Make sure the separating shim is present.
When they get a little age to them the shim can get a little compressed/warped and does not allow enough clearance between the freehub bearing and the hub bearing, fit a new one.
If your bearings are not in good nick then excessive preload is required to stop too much play and again the hub bearing can drag on the freehub bearings. Fit new bearings.
In this design when you set preload you are loading the left side hub bearing and the drive side freehub bearing as there is nothing between the freehub bearings.
Most people never thing to change the freehub bearings and drag is the result.
If in doubt, fit all four new bearings and a new shim and the wheel will work like new.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Super 9 freehub catching [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I changed out the freehub bearings last year but will check the shim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On my 808 firecrests the rubber seal used to not seat properly without care, and catch in the pawls when coasting, when engaged was fine. Not sure if that is of any use or not. These were the hubs without the preload nut etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently had this on a Zipp Super9 I borrowed from friends. I disassembled the thing completely, cleaned, regreased, and reassembled according to instructions, and all is fine now. Main points:

A) Light grease
B) Make sure the seal between the freehub and wheel isn't warped, doesn't catch on the freehub pawls etc. If they stick your disc becomes a fixed-gear. Clean those pawls, clean the whole freehub, regrease and reassemble. There's a
C) The preload nut needs to be loose. Like, back off even a bit more than the eighth-turn Zipp recommends because you've probably tightened more than necessary
D) Don't close the QR too tight. I use a Shimano Dura-Ace QR which is super-easy to overtighten (gobs of leverage) so I make sure to close it just tight enough, no more. Hub preload + QR = total side load on the bearings, so keep some leeway here.

In the stand, the wheel will still have a tiny bit of play. That's ok! That's how Zipp wants it to be.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Super 9 freehub catching [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
QR tension plays no part in bearing preload in this design.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Super 9 freehub catching [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
QR tension plays no part in bearing preload in this design.

Not my experience with 4 different sets of Zipps with the 188 hub. Very easy to confirm using a thread skewer such as the DT Swiss.

Also differs from Zipp stating they designed these hubs to be adjusted after clamping skewers: https://www.zipp.com/.../hub/88-188-hubs.php
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Super 9 freehub catching [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone, I have ordered a new shim and will re-build again. I replaced the freehub bearings not long ago so hopefully they are ok.

Will post how I get on!

Cheers Tim
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Super 9 freehub catching [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I wouldn't state "QR tension has no role" with such confidence... When I crank down the QR way too tight (Shimano closed-cam QRs) the freehub doesn't move. It's a fixed-wheel, for all practical purposes. When closed down just snug enough, the freehub moves freely.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply