Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp Super 9 disc durability
Quote | Reply
To make a short story long, I just puchased a new speed concept requiring me to upgrade my HED Jet 10 speed disc to an 11 speed. I wanted to treat myself to a nicer wheel and purchased the Roval 321. Unfortunately, the duotrap rubs the Roval. So back to the drawing board. I like the idea of the Zipp, granted it is costly. Looking online, it seems most used Zipps seem to have some sort of ding/dent in them. I think that this would drive me nuts after spending close to $3K on a wheel. Are they that fragile or do people not take good care of them?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Super 9 disc durability [makahle1s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Couldn’t just remover the duo trap sensor? They make a flat dummy sensor for it.

I have the super 9 and a trek speed concept and haven’t had any issues so far. I think because it’s a solid honeycomb type of core there is no ‘rebound’ if u knock it with the cassette or skewers. If you were to travel a lot with it I would be packing it super careful. It’s fairly solid but you can see how an Xcode take skewer or something solid would put a small dent in it. Discs like your flo, hed etc will have a bit of give since they aren’t solid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually took the duotrap completely out and reinstalled the wheel just to see what I was working with. The carbon on the bike with the duotrap completely removed gives me what I would guess around a couple tenths of a mm clearance. I would guess you could put 2-4 sheets of printer paper max between the two. Too close for comfort for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ahhh ok bugger...well the super 9 fits well. Brakes set wide as i can get them though to fit, but fits with plenty of clearance thankfully
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Super 9 disc durability [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have owned my Zipp disc for 2, going on 3 seasons now. I can see how it's far more fragile than my HED disc was as far as getting small impressions in the material, I try to treat my equipment with the appropriate level of care and find myself handling the Zipp as if it's radioactive. My biggest worries with it are when it's in transition, you never know how careful the athlete next to you is or if the wind were to pick up and bang bikes together.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my opinion they aren't *that* fragile. You have to take a decent whack at them. I've had a Zipp 900 for over 10 years that I've raced 100's of times (track racing). No issue. And I'm not particularly kind to equipment. Track bike has fallen over lots of times. I imagine travel is probably the riskiest time for them.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Super 9 disc durability [Chilybil23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had one for 2 years.. it's pretty durable and I agree with Chilybil23... it's all about your neighbor in transition.

I did a sprint this weekend and the racks where pre-spaced out..just put your wheel in (awesome)..but those races with the hanging seat racks.. look out. I've come back to other bikes all over mine..literally on top. (not happy)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had to chuckle when I read your post. I'm building the exact same bike and had the exact same question several weeks ago before purchasing my zip super 9. Having a short amount of time with the wheel I will tell you it's extremely well made and seems like it will be very durable. my best guess is that people just do not take care of them or general accidents happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think they are pretty rough. Typically people throw 2 or more bikes in the back of an SUV and that’s where the damage happens. Skewers and pedals are the big problems.

I’m careful with mine and it looks brand new.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for everyone’s input. I pulled the plug and ordered a Zipp over the HED Jet.
Quote Reply