Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp Pro Platinum Brake Pads...
Quote | Reply
Anyone using these?? How do you think they compare with Swiss Stop Yellows??
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Pro Platinum Brake Pads... [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have a set, but have not yet mounted them. They are, apparently, a notable improvement over the cork Tangente pads, which are - hands down - the best pads I've ever used. Zipp has a very good track record of releasing products only when they are an improvement. The Tangente cork pads were better than the Zipp carbon pads (made custom for them by Kool-Stop). And they assure me that these are even better than the Tangente cork pads.

I'll post once I get them mounted and log some miles on them, but based off the product they are replacing, they are definitely worth considering. I found the Tangente cork pads to be far superior to SwissStop yellow.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AFAIK the Swissstop FlashPro Yellow and the Zipp Pro Plat. are the exact same brake pads. So are the FFWD, SRAM, Lightweight, Mavic carbon brake pads and some others... They're all the same, just rebranded.

The only difference is the color. The Yellow ones will color your rims a little bit and the Platinum won't.
Last edited by: Aralo: Mar 8, 12 9:44
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Pro Platinum Brake Pads... [Aralo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the images I scrounged with Google, they look somewhat akin to the Reynolds Blue pads which I find work great with my Reynolds DV-46 clinchers and Zipp 808 tubulars but not very good with Easton EC-90 SL tubulars. On a side note, I used Zipp Tangente Cork with Avid Ultimate Shorty canty's on the cross bike the past two seasons and found they worked really well with EC-90 SL tubulars when dry yet still gave pretty good performance when racing in the rain and mud in Wisonsin, Ft Collins, and Louisville.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very good and quiet in the dry. Eh, it's a carbon braking surface in the wet.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Pro Platinum Brake Pads... [Aralo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aralo wrote:
AFAIK the Swissstop FlashPro Yellow and the Zipp Pro Plat. are the exact same brake pads. So are the FFWD, SRAM, Lightweight, Mavic carbon brake pads and some others... They're all the same, just rebranded.

The only difference is the color. The Yellow ones will color your rims a little bit and the Platinum won't.

That is incorrect. The new Zipp pads are made in collaboration with SwissStop, but they are a totally distinct compound. They are not just the yellow pads dyed gray. It's a different product. SwissStop makes the black pads for SRAM, but those are also not the same compound as the yellow; those are more of an all purpose compound. Dunno about the others.

But, specifically in this case, you are wrong. The platinum pro pads are NOT the same as the yellow.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Pro Platinum Brake Pads... [rickn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rickn wrote:
Very good and quiet in the dry. Eh, it's a carbon braking surface in the wet.

The grey pads seem to work well, they are squealing on my SC in the rear, but I think that has to do with the angle that the pads are hitting my carbon wheels. The SC 9 series brakes aren't the easiest to adjust.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Pro Platinum Brake Pads... [motoxxx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That rear brake is a pain to set up.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Pro Platinum Brake Pads... [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Aralo wrote:

That is incorrect. The new Zipp pads are made in collaboration with SwissStop, but they are a totally distinct compound. They are not just the yellow pads dyed gray. It's a different product. SwissStop makes the black pads for SRAM, but those are also not the same compound as the yellow; those are more of an all purpose compound. Dunno about the others.

But, specifically in this case, you are wrong. The platinum pro pads are NOT the same as the yellow.

You were right. I sent SS an email yesterday and they said they are different. However the YellowKing are still better in terms of grip. They brake better. The Platinum Pro brake a little worse but are easier to modulate. That's the only difference. The rep said most Pro's will still run the YellowKing and Zipp will continue to offer both. I've been running them for a couple crits and they are great. They actually have more braking power than my (admittedly shitty) brake pads (on aluminium rim) in the rear. So unless you've problems with dosing the brake I'd go for the YellowKing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used both. Currently have the Platinum Pro pads with 404 Firecrests. When these wear out I will go back to Swissstop yellow's. The Yellow pads have worked better for me and are quieter with better stopping power, though that is prior experience on a different set of carbon rims. I had expected the overall performance to be a bit better, it s very good but not quite worth the cost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you provide your impressions of the Platinum Pads? I am considering the use on 303's for cyclocross. Wet weather or dusty performance would be of particular interest to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm holding off for the Zipp ExtraPro Deluxe Exclusive Plutonium Brake Pads, limited edition.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Pro Platinum Brake Pads... [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, the name is a bit over the top, but it seems that there is actual platinum in the product, not just the "PLATINUM!!!" marketing product description. Now if there was ever a diamond product, that would either be too abrasive or marketing crap. And they are ~$3 more than the cork, but both are expensive. IMO, tires, wheels and brakes are the best place to spend $ for cyclocross.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Platinum Pro's on my TT bike and the SS Yellows on my road bike. Both work extremely well in my experience- ample stopping power, smooth modulation, no squealing, etc. I have less experience with them in the wet, as the only time I ride carbon wheels in the rain is if it's raining on race day. If it's just a training day I throw on aluminum wheels. But the times I have ridden the SS in the wet they've worked well. Haven't had the Zipps in the wet yet but I suspect they'd be very similar.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Pro Platinum Brake Pads... [goldentech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
goldentech wrote:
Can you provide your impressions of the Platinum Pads? I am considering the use on 303's for cyclocross. Wet weather or dusty performance would be of particular interest to me.

Don't have much experience in dusty conditions. But more experience than I'd like in wet (I hate the rain). Wet weather performance is excellent. But I also thought the cork pads were really good in the rain too. I think the most telling thing is that I don't ever really notice. I do about 1/2 my riding on aluminum rims (101s) with stock SRAM black pads and the other half on carbon clinchers with Zipp Platinum Pro pads. I don't really notice any difference at all between the two. That - to me - says it all.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I don't ever really notice" You are using a superior product when you forget it is there. I think the platinum gets the nod over the cork for me. With the shorty Ultimates, this should be a pretty no-excuses set-up.
Wet weather riding has never been the same for me since I did a stint on Vittorias. Once you've had a front wheel "randomly" slip out on a corner in the rain it is hard to ever take a wet turn full speed again.
Quote Reply