Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp Predator Disk
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for information on an older Zipp disk called the predator - can anyone tell me the spec's on this wheel. Someone has one with a Campy style hub. The seller does not know enough to tell me if it's the old style screw on freewheel or the newer cassette style. He says it's an 8 speed. I know it's tubular as they all are that. Any more info on the quality, design, hub upgradeability would be really really appreciated.

Bob Porter

Multisport Training Club - Florida
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Predator Disk [rlporter5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for $400 I'd skip it, that is half the price of a Corima and more than a Renn.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Predator Disk [TimeTrial.org] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gary,

Do you know anything about this vintage Zipp wheel - in particular the hub design regarding upgradability?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not other than what I saw, and the nicks/dents, did you see the Corima disc for $355? Way better option but not Campy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gary,

Can you help me out - I can't even find a picture of this Zipp wheel - can you describe it or point me to a web site? The guy wants $125 for it. What would your guess be on the hub type, freewheel or cassette?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could "crash replace" it and for an extra $500 or so, get a brand new disc.

I could be wrong, but I think it is their very first model of disc, and it weighs a ton. If it's Campy from way back, it's more than likely freewheel.

If it's as expensive as I thought I saw Gary say it was, I'd give it a pass and get a Renn.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gary,

Wow - where did you find this picture? Thank you. I will continue my research and confirm the question on the cassette vs. freewheel. If it's too old I may pass afterall. Again, thank you very much - you get the Sherlock Holmes award from me!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did not bother to look through the rest of the thread. Ooops!

Even for $125, I would skip it. It is more than likely a free wheel, and I would even wager that it could *possibly* be for old 125mm spacing. Zipp will more than likely NOT have parts for the hub, as they have gone to completely new hubs. I would avoid their old 3000 wheel for this reason, as well (as it was confirmed that there's not even the jigs to fix it).

I can't even get anything except for a "crash replacement" for my old-school 1150, and I would wager it's a few years newer than the Predator in question. I wanted a front disc for windless TTs and track, and there's no way to get a new hub for it.

Save up a bit more $$$ for a Renn disc. You will be very happy.
Quote Reply