Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp Powertap Disk Question - Damaged
Quote | Reply
I have a Zipp 900 Powertap disk that was damaged. Sent the disk back to Zipp and they said that the disk could not be repaired and sent it back. The PT hub is less than 2 years old and in great shape. Can I do anything with this hub (lace into another wheel??)

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Powertap Disk Question - Damaged [tridawg72] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, those are custom hubs build just for Zipp, so the externals aren't able to be laced into a wheel. You could potentially take the internals and rebuild a wired PT hub body with them.

Alternatively, you could figure out if that wheel truly is wrecked or not. Whether Zipp will rebuild something and guarantee your safety on it is different than whether it is actually toast or not. If the wheel is still true and the braking surface is not part of the damage, it can probably be repaired. Take some pics?

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Powertap Disk Question - Damaged [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply - the wheel does not look that bad to me. It has a slight buldge below the breaking surface and almost looks like it is de-laminating. Does the disc get its structural integrity from the carbon or is there something underneath giving it strength?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a foam core on most models that is part of the structural integrity of the system. Again, the key is that the wheel is still straight. Anything else can be fixed for the most part.

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The wheel is perfectly straight and rolls fine. I did not even notice the damage until it was pointed out by a person who I was trying to sell the wheel to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In that case (a) I would be willing to fix it for you, or (b) purchase it if it is ANT+ compatible.

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is ANT compatible
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have pictures of it that I can email you. PM me your email address and I will send them. I would be fine selling it since I have already purchased a new Super 9 disk
Last edited by: tridawg72: Dec 12, 12 11:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Feel free to PM me if chicanery turns you down.
Quote Reply