Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp Power Disc
Quote | Reply
The Zipp power disc made its debut at the Tour of California. According to Zipp it will be offered in both the sub-9 and the flat disc. So, if you have already collected all the available toys and still have money burning a hole in your pocket... there's a new game in town.

Pic from cyclingnews.com:

Strange, picture linking seems to be broken. Here's a link to follow: http://www.cyclingnews.com/...stream_Zipp_Sub9.jpg
Last edited by: fiddlesandbikes: Feb 20, 08 19:01
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Power Disc [fiddlesandbikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I personally think this is the stupidest thing ever. Nobody who has ANY economic sense will buy one and this will be out of the market place in a year or two. For almost the price of the disc you can get a good used disc and a SRM. Power if more for training than racing if anything, and why on earth would someone buy a power meter that you can only use in a race? Someone was not thinking when they decided to bring this to market. Cool, yes, but even cooler is an SRM and the ability to use any race wheel or training wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Power Disc [rinconryder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same can be said for anyone who has more than a 1995 Honda Civic...

Why? Cause the can...

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Power Disc [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man,

I wish that I could afford a '95 civic.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
except it would be a new disc, and can be moved to different bikes very easily.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Power Disc [cbritri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know many people who use a disc on more than one bike, i.e. they have multiple TT bikes. If you are going to ride a non TT bike I am assuming you are in a situtation not appropriate for a disc anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I don't know many people who use a disc on more than one bike, i.e. they have multiple TT bikes. If you are going to ride a non TT bike I am assuming you are in a situtation not appropriate for a disc anyway.

At one point, I had four.

:P

In Reply To:
For almost the price of the disc you can get a good used disc and a SRM.

I don't remember seeing pricing of it posted yet...

In Reply To:
Power if more for training than racing if anything,

not so... if you train with power but not race, how do you know how you performed vs. training? if you have a bad result, how would you determine what happened? Maybe your power was on par with training and everyone was faster. Perhaps your power was down from training, so a race file would provide the opportunity to determine why. Maybe you rode stupid and dug yourself into a hole too early in the event. Without the recording, you will never know.

In Reply To:
...and why on earth would someone buy a power meter that you can only use in a race?

See above. and for those racing UCI races in a TT, this is the only option (disc covers are illegal).

:D

g

greg
www.wattagetraining.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I personally think this is the stupidest thing ever. Nobody who has ANY economic sense will buy one and this will be out of the market place in a year or two. For almost the price of the disc you can get a good used disc and a SRM. Power if more for training than racing if anything, and why on earth would someone buy a power meter that you can only use in a race?

Yeah, as no-one ever's fitted a powertap to an 808.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Power Disc [tim_sleepless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wasn't aware that cycling made economic sense to begin with... We're all nuts paying the prices we do for this stuff!

That being said, can't wait to get my new P2C :)

-dt2511

"Finally figured out how to get faster... Train more." - cerveloguy 3/6/08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I personally think this is the stupidest thing ever. Nobody who has ANY economic sense will buy one and this will be out of the market place in a year or two. For almost the price of the disc you can get a good used disc and a SRM. Power if more for training than racing if anything, and why on earth would someone buy a power meter that you can only use in a race? Someone was not thinking when they decided to bring this to market. Cool, yes, but even cooler is an SRM and the ability to use any race wheel or training wheels.

If you don't already know, or haven't figured it out, 'economic sense' has no room in this forum. Or cycling in general (unless you're saving on gas by commuting. Even then depending on how often you flat/repair/replace tires tubes and any other misc parts, what you eat/drink on the commute, it may not be that much of a 'savings' from a purely economic standpoint)
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Power Disc [dt2511] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The P2C may be the most economically sensible thing out there! Best deal bar none in my opinion.

Economic sense has nothing to do with the cost of something, it has do with the return on the money. My point here is that by buying a disc wheel with a powertap in it you are purchasing a $1000 power meter that you will only benefit from whenever you race and on a course when you will opt for a disc. Even then, racing with power only really makes sense if you train with power, so you will have to have another PT for training, presumably laced into your training wheel, another $1000. The cose of the Zipp disc with the PT in it is almost $3,000. So you are looking at a $4,000 investment and then some and still only have the option of using the disc....not to mention what happens if you crack the disc, want to sell, etc...

You can get a new SRM (amatuer, which has the same percentage of error as the PT) and a disc wheel, for the same cost, and still have the option to switch race wheels. Not to mention that the SRM is touted as a better product.

To put it another way, would any of YOU who train with power buy the disc with the PT in it? I wouldn't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Their market is people who are currently training with a Sub-9 disc everyday and want power. Their other market is pros sponsored by CycleOps who want to use disc wheels in TTs and record power.

Recreational racer slaying blog:

http://rrslayer.blogspot.com

Ad blocking filters for cycling websites:

http://home.comcast.net/...omitron_cycling.html
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Power Disc [fiddlesandbikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, this could make a great addition to the Race Day Wheels line-up as a RENTAL.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You can get a new SRM (amatuer, which has the same percentage of error as the PT) ...

you need to check your specs... the pt has a higher accuracy than an amatuer. it is inline with the pro.

g

greg
www.wattagetraining.com
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Power Disc [The Cricket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But who trains with a dsc everyday? I think what they're shooting for is people training with power who ride a disc in a race.

Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one on order already. I had a sub-9 on order, so why not spend a little more and get power. I already have a training wheel with power. I do about 7 races a year and we have a weekly TT series so I will use it quite a bit for that. I'm excited to actually see power while I'm doing the TT's and racing.

With all the 808's and 404's with power and wheel covers out there it makes sense to offer something like this. Time will tell.

Kyle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The disc is, financially, a pretty sound economic comparison. It's actually cheaper, if you buy everything new, vs. a comparable SRM setup. Also easy to move around if you have multiple bikes; SRM is not as easy.

Dura-Ace 10 cranks ~ $500
Power Disc ~ $3100
PowerTap Training wheel (no need for a second CPU, just second set of transmitters) ~1200
TOTAL: $4800

vs.

Dura-Ace SRM ~ $3400
Sub-9 Disc ~$1800
Mavi Open Pro Training Wheel on a decent hub ~ $200
TOTAL: $5400

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think Zipp had a choice here. Slipstream is required to use powertap for their training/racing because of their relationship with Cycleops/Allen Lim. Necessity is the mother of invention ;^)
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Power Disc [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MSRP on the PT wireless hub system is $1499, and that's not including wheel building costs, spokes and rim. Even if you paid $1500 for the entire wheel system incl head unit, it brings the total to $5100, which is much closer to the SRM price.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Power Disc [footwerx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can find the SL for $1600 for a built up wheel @ Trisports. I was looking at the Pro, not SL, when I wrote 1200. Sorry. Either way, there is no real major economic reason for one option over the other.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Power Disc [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'd agree it's pretty close. It probably boils down to customer support and warranty etc. From what i have read, i think Saris wins hands down in this respect. It is a US-based company after all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You may want to ask this guy about it. I'm pretty sure he'd have preferred to be using one.

If you can use a cover for all of your key events, then I don't really see the point. If you can't, and those events are important to you--and you have the $$, then.....

p.s. I doubt there will be a single user for whom the PT disc will be their only power tap wheel, so your above line of reasoning seems a little odd.
Last edited by: roady: Feb 21, 08 15:14
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Power Disc [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote]p.s. I doubt there will be a single user for whom the PT disc will be their only power tap wheel, so your above line of reasoning seems a little odd. [/quote]

That is sort of my point. If someone is serious about power they are going to have at least the disc, a training wheel for sure, and then probably an 808 or some windy condition wheel as well - so you are looking at a minimum of 3 PT hub wheels and even then you are limited to only those three wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe they won't buy all the wheels at once. Maybe they've already got a powertap training wheel and really want a disc.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Power Disc [footwerx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
MSRP on the PT wireless hub system is $1499, and that's not including wheel building costs, spokes and rim. Even if you paid $1500 for the entire wheel system incl head unit, it brings the total to $5100, which is much closer to the SRM price.

actually- you can get a whole wheel- including electronicx for under $1300...
http://elitecycling.biz/...tails&sku=WE8041 and since you don't need two computers- easy to use with two wheels- you can sell the extra computer, HR strap, download parts, etc. on ebay for $200 to $250.... so his price of $1200 was high- you should be able to have one for $1050 or under... so a PT system with a PT disc- can be a compelling option.
Quote Reply