Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp PowerTap Pjorn! My steed for IMLP...
Quote | Reply
Hey all...

Well, I got my USAF retirement present to me today...custom built Zipp 417 rims laced to a PowerTap SL 2.4 in the back and a matching Cycleops front hub for the front. Dave at Wheelie Fun set me up and gave me a great deal on the whole setup...$2400 for the whole shooting match, including all of the stuff required to use the PowerTap hub...the CPU, the heart rate strap, etc, etc.

After thinking long and hard about it, I wanted a PowerTap, but I also wanted some decently aero race wheels. I also wanted to race with my PowerTap. So, after talking the guys at Wheelie Fun, and Josh at Zipp, I decided to go with custom built Zipp clincher rims that can take the abuse of daily training. Yeah, yeah, I know, don't train on your race wheels, but I couldn't afford a PowerTap training wheel set up and a Power Tap race wheel set up. So, this is the compromise I went with...stoutly built clincher aero rims.

Here is my Kuota, fresh from her pre-IM checkup at Wheelie Fun. Unsolicited kudos to Dave at the shop: When I dropped the bike off on Saturday, I told him I probably wouldn't get to the shop on Tuesday and that I wasn't in a rush, but then when I heard my wheels were in, I rushed over after work, forgetting that I had told them that. Dave immediately grabbed my bike and in about 90 minutes relubed, regreased, checked all the bolts, recabled a the shifters, etc, etc, all while I waited. Thanks!!

Oh yeah, Rod...I learned how to resize my pics!! Now they aren't huge!

My trusty steed, ready to go.

My cockpit with the Powertap CPU. Much cleaner than with my old cyclometer sticking way up into the airflow.

Rear wheel with Powertap SL 2.4 wireless hub. I'm pretty stoked about this!

Front quartering view:

Rear quarter view:

Spot

Last edited by: spot: Jul 3, 07 17:50
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp PowerTap Pjorn! My steed for IMLP... [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is one crazy ass couch ! ITs giving me flashbacks ; )

Sweet ride .

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
George

Looks sweet. Good luck at IMLP.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp PowerTap Pjorn! My steed for IMLP... [SwordFish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that thing is pretty ancient. We've had it close to 15 years, but until the kiddos get a little older, we'll probably hang on to it. Its also had to endure 5 moves.

Spot

Quote | Reply
Thanks! I think I have now reached cycling nirvana with my tri bike set up and my road bike (a Cervelo SLC).

Spot

Quote | Reply
George -

That looks AWESOME! Really Lake Placid ready! Are you going with the bailout rear 27 or just sticking with the 12-25? I sensed some worrying after the "Beast" a couple of weekends ago with you and Kittycat ;)

Nice job again - I really like that

Re: Zipp PowerTap Pjorn! My steed for IMLP... [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm gonna go with the 12-27. Not that I think I really need it, but it will be nice to have, just in case. I like being able to spin up hills as much as possible.

I did 102 miles the day after that ride, which included going up the beast, and was fine. I'm not sure what my problem was with you and Joanne. And just for grins, last Sunday I went back to the beast with my road bike (with a 13-27) and did repeats up the beast...4 times, back to back, no rest, and no problems.

Spot

Quote | Reply
sweet ride! Now, just clean up those cables to polish it off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
George

Are you going to run the 404's on your Cervelo also?

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: Jul 3, 07 19:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very nice, one question though, why not get an XL Profiel Designs computer mount and put the CPU off of one of the extensions so you need only look down? Just curious, but otherwise a sweet bike.

Bob
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp PowerTap Pjorn! My steed for IMLP... [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep...Saris makes a conversion cassette so that I can run 'em with my Soloist Carbon as well.

Spot

Quote | Reply
Yeah, I may end up doing that. I already have one of those, but the stem mount seemed cleaner, so thought I would give it a shot. Might have to move it if its too hard to see.

Spot

Quote | Reply
Having tried both, I think the extension moutn is cleaner simply for a visibility standpoint. But, whatever works.

Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pictures of the dogs on the wall are bigger than those of the kids?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Front cyclops hub.... What does it do? Is it better than Zipp hub?

It hurts so bad, it feels good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To infinity, and beyond!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1st picture I thought you'd be left the bike by your 'Godfather' ;-)

'to give anything less than the best is to sacrifice the gift'...Pre
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp PowerTap Pjorn! My steed for IMLP... [black] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, good question. Its not that its better than the Zipp hub, but is more durable according to the Wheelie Fun guys. Since I wanted to use these wheels as daily trainers as well, they suggested I got that route. Could have gotten just about any hub, but since it matched, what the heck.

Spot

Quote | Reply
Well, you know...

Actually, the big pics of the kids are upstairs in our bedroom...

Spot

Quote | Reply
Hah! Good one...I didn't know what you were talking about until I went back and looked at the first pic.

Spot

Quote | Reply
I have been riding my Cervelo P3C for the last year with Zipp clincher 404's and some times a Zipp clincher disc as not only my race wheels but also my training wheels. I think this will work for me as long as I use some common sense along the way. First I have a different bike and set of wheels for winter training on a Compu trainer and are not using the races wheels for that. Also when I train on the Cervelo with these race wheels I pick my routes carefully. Meaning that I am on good surfaces and open roads so I can ride 40K or 56 miles as if it were an actual race. The Tupper Lake and Lake Placid routes lend themselves to this. So does the Timberman, New Jersey Devilman, Delaware Diamond Man, and Escape from Fort Delaware routes. If you have not done the IMLP route before and if you could spend at least one weekend there before the event I would strongly recommend doing that. Not only is it one of the best bike routes on the East coast, it also has a really outstanding swim venue that is open to any one any time that there isn't ice on the lake. Best of luck at the races, Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice ride. Have you thought about Nokon or similar cable housing to clean up/shorten the cables (or at least a little more tape)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm gonna go with the 12-27. Not that I think I really need it, but it will be nice to have, just in case. I like being able to spin up hills as much as possible.

First off...man that is some SWEET action! Next, if you don't mind "mixing guts" SRAM makes both an 11-26 and an 11-28 cassette so you can still have that bailout gear if you need it but you don't lose your 11t cog for the downhills.

Congrats on the new set up.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Michael in Fresno
"Do you spend time with your family? Good. Because a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man" V. Corleone
Quote Reply