Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Zipp Posts Super 9 Aero Data!
Quote | Reply
https://www.zipp.com/about/story.php?ID=888

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Posts Super 9 Aero Data! [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Posts Super 9 Aero Data! [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
So testing against their previous Zipp 900 disc? And still testing tubular tires? Meh, I was hoping for some clincher data at least and maybe some competitor discs at least.
Especially since "Clincher tires are consistently more aero than tubular tires, especially in windy conditions."

Can anyone save me from reasearch and tell me what's so special about this disc that makes it different to any other circulat flat plate?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Posts Super 9 Aero Data! [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
So testing against their previous Zipp 900 disc? And still testing tubular tires? Meh, I was hoping for some clincher data at least and maybe some competitor discs at least.

Especially since "Clincher tires are consistently more aero than tubular tires, especially in windy conditions."

Can anyone save me from reasearch and tell me what's so special about this disc that makes it different to any other circulat flat plate?

Not much at all but an extra $1,600 over a Hed Jet Disc Plus.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Posts Super 9 Aero Data! [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:

Uhmm... hello... DIMPLES!

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Posts Super 9 Aero Data! [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
MattyK wrote:

Uhmm... hello... DIMPLES!

And rainbow colour options!! (minus like half of the actual rainbow colour options)

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Posts Super 9 Aero Data! [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hopefully the Zipp engineers are working on their new Impress2 graphics technology, which will allow them to rainbow-color the dimples only

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still struggle to understand why anyone buys this over a Renn 555.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Posts Super 9 Aero Data! [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s not 25 mm wide. That’s a good reason.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tubular only and only against their previous model? Better than nothing, I guess.

Which also begs the question - if they're not done releasing aero data, when are they releasing data for the 858 and 454 wheels?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Posts Super 9 Aero Data! [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

It's a good point. Not sure it's worth all that extra money to me to effectively just improve the trailing edge aerodynamics with a wider tyre (my frame is a P3C and the leading edge is almost completely fared) but I can see why it might matter to some.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Not much at all but an extra $1,600 over a Hed Jet Disc Plus.

I would love to see an independent comparison between HED and Zipp disc. How much is that $1,600 buying you (if anything, or even loosing you!!).

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have we ever seen a test between flo and hed disc?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Posts Super 9 Aero Data! [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:

I thought all the discs, and disc covers, were always pretty much the same, and maybe bigger differences are teased out depending on what kind of frame they are being used in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

It's a good point. Not sure it's worth all that extra money to me to effectively just improve the trailing edge aerodynamics with a wider tyre (my frame is a P3C and the leading edge is almost completely fared) but I can see why it might matter to some.

I see two issues with Renn, same two issues they've always had IMHO:

1. Lack of marketing. I think my local tri club has 200-300 members. I'd be willing to bet 90% of them have never heard of Renn,

2. No matching front wheel. Yeah, its just a decal, its vanity, but it matters to some people.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Posts Super 9 Aero Data! [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's why I went for a set of AeroCoach front&rear, for less than any of the other options bar FLO (which, with shipping, comes out the same).

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Posts Super 9 Aero Data! [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
2. No matching front wheel. Yeah, its just a decal, its vanity, but it matters to some people.

Just took the sticker off mine. Dunno, think it looks pretty nice :-)

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Posts Super 9 Aero Data! [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:

Kind of...not super detailed, but Aerocoach tested their disc versus what is very likely Hed and Flo

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Posts Super 9 Aero Data! [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they ingeniously code their graph... we'll never know which was which ;)

Pun_Times wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

Kind of...not super detailed, but Aerocoach tested their disc versus what is very likely Hed and Flo

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Posts Super 9 Aero Data! [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL, Let's muddy the water with Bontragers disc
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Posts Super 9 Aero Data! [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m rather surprised at the Delta they found between a disc cover considering what others found (including Trek/Bontrager who didn’t find any measureable difference either in CFD or in the tunnel).
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Posts Super 9 Aero Data! [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I’m rather surprised at the Delta they found between a disc cover considering what others found (including Trek/Bontrager who didn’t find any measureable difference either in CFD or in the tunnel).

Without corroborating data from another test by another crew at another tunnel, I'm taking it with a pinch of salt. Or half of Utah.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Posts Super 9 Aero Data! [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

Link to Trek data? I don't think I've ever seen that.

The cover will vary quite a bit I think depending on how well it fits.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Posts Super 9 Aero Data! [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

Link to Trek data? I don't think I've ever seen that.

The cover will vary quite a bit I think depending on how well it fits.

I think the assumption here is that it fits well. Carl posted it a loooong time ago in the official Speed Concept thread. I don't have the time to track it down now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

Not sure if you’re talking old or new, but I doubt it would even fit in the old frame and it’d probably be wider than the seattube haha.
Quote Reply

Prev Next