Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp Mountain Bike Wheels!
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Mountain Bike Wheels! [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heavy compared to most carbon MTB rims or wheels.
But also note the spokes going completely slack in that video.
Spokes will loosen during this sort of treatment and they were going so slack that you have to wonder if they would lift the sealing tape off the rim bed or puncture it.
Be very interesting to ride them, they certainly do look to have very good lateral stiffness in those videos.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meh.

I'd rather do what I did, and will do again:

LightBicycle c/f rims laced up w/ Sapim X-ray spokes into Chris King hubs.

(I had Industry9 hubs, but blew up 2 of the rears w/ my massive one-fitty-something pounds of pedaling fury, so switched to CK instead, and it is, of course, bombproof.)

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These are going to be a NO from me... flexible spokes/rim, and heavy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big fat no from me as well. Those wheels are heavy AF even by AM standards. Rear hubs are proprietary and have slow engagement as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Mountain Bike Wheels! [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From all the images I have seen the rim tape looks different and I think it is designed so that the spokes can lift it off the rim without an issue. The tape looks very flexible and wide enough that the spokes can push it far into the tire space without compromising the seal. It makes me wonder if the tape is ridiculously heavy and that is adding to the overall weight.

Also unless my understanding of 'lateral stiffness' is off I don't understand how they can be laterally stiff and still offer what Zipp are calling 'ankle compliance'. In order to twist like an ankle a wheel has to be laterally compliant doesn't it?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Mountain Bike Wheels! [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Cwk3GdAx6U

Here is a GMBN video which does a pretty nice job of explaining the wheels. It does say paid promotion at the beginning so don't expect any criticism, but it sums it all up.

The thing that jumps out about it to me is it basically is selling "vertically compliant, laterally stiff" which I feel like I have heard before!!!
Quote Reply