Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Zipp Made a Disc Brake Disc Wheel!
Quote | Reply

http://zipp.com/wheels/super-9----disc-brake-carbon-clincher-disc/#

http://www.bikerumor.com/...isc-premium-202-nsw/

From Zipp.com:

Zipp’s first product almost three decades ago was a disc wheel. It’s at the heart of our heritage. Now, Zipp® is pioneering the next generation of disc wheel, the new Super-9 Disc-brake Carbon Clincher Disc. Road cycling’s latest advancement in performance – disc brakes for road bikes – is coming to triathlons and time trials, and Zipp is ensuring its fastest wheel ever is ready for this soon-to-arrive future.
Braking on modern time trial and triathlon bikes often has been a challenge.

The superior performance of disc brakes changes all that with greater stopping power and more precise speed modulation, all with less hand effort than required by traditional brakes. That means greater confidence in corners, descents, and on technical courses. The disc brake version of the Super-9 disc, 1175 grams for the Carbon Clincher, retains the light weight of its rim-brake counterparts.

Efficient speed adjustments on technical sections of road are crucial to conserving energy and maintaining speed. Disc-brakes, standard in motorsports, gained prominence in mountain biking, then cyclocross, and now are being embraced on the road. The reason is simple: How you slow down influences how fast you go.

The introduction of the Super-9 Disc-brake completes the expansion of disc-brake options across Zipp’s entire carbon wheel lineup, from the disc wheel down to the 32-mm deep 202 Firecrest Disc-brake wheelset.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Sep 7, 16 14:20
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Made a Disc Brake Disc Wheel! [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why are you making disc aero wheels?
BECAUSE YOU NEED THEM
But why do we need them?
BECAUSE STOPPING IS A PROBLEM IN TT'S AND TRI'S.
Why are you yelling?
BECAUSE THIS IS THE EXXXTREME SOLUTION TO THAT PROBLEM ATHLETES HAVE BEEN HAVING FOR YEARS!!!

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dang, I wanted a picture of the wheel disc with the disc rotor mounted.

There is just something so odd about that set up
that a pic would be worth something !

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Aug 31, 16 5:48
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Made a Disc Brake Disc Wheel! [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wanted to see one too! As soon as I find it, I'll add it to the main post.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll see if I can get them to post one...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Made a Disc Brake Disc Wheel! [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
I'll see if I can get them to post one...

YES!!!!! Please make it happen!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not the zipp but...

Scroll to the Parlee TT bike (about 3/4 way down the page and flip to the second picture.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/08/news/liveblog-eurobike-2016-day-1_419243

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Made a Disc Brake Disc Wheel! [Cuban3jumper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cuban3jumper wrote:
not the zipp but...

Scroll to the Parlee TT bike (about 3/4 way down the page and flip to the second picture.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/08/news/liveblog-eurobike-2016-day-1_419243

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Braking on modern time trial and triathlon bikes often has been a challenge."

It has been? Hmmmmmmmmm...I've never had this problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Made a Disc Brake Disc Wheel! [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
leegoocrap wrote:
BECAUSE YOU NEED THEM
But why do we need them?
Why are you yelling?
BECAUSE THIS IS THE EXXXTREME SOLUTION TO THAT PROBLEM ATHLETES HAVE BEEN HAVING FOR YEARS!!!

Tri isn't a growing sport. And everyone in it has already bought wheels. How do we sell them more wheels?

HEY I HAVE AN IDEA!
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Zipp Made a Disc Brake Disc Wheel! [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The comments on Bike Rumor are always entertaining:

Quote:
t’s happened, the disc-disc. Now, people can have quadrouble the braking that they need in events that don’t require breaking, along with less aerodynamics on bikes that are designed for aerodynamics!!!

Yep. Nailed it.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gabbiev wrote:
Dilbert wrote:
leegoocrap wrote:
BECAUSE YOU NEED THEM
But why do we need them?
Why are you yelling?

Tri isn't a growing sport. And everyone in it has already bought wheels. How do we sell them more wheels?

HEY I HAVE AN IDEA!

I tend to agree with this.

In over 10 years doing product development in the bike business, never once did I ever hear anyone come up with any idea to make products that nobody wanted just to sell more stuff. Not a single time...this myth / perception of grand puppet masters in the bike business moving consumersa round like pawns is just that....a myth.

Product guys in the bike biz just want to make cool bikes....be it a $300 entry level MTB or a $3K tri bike. They want to come up with ideas / product strategies that meet their customers demands (both consumers and dealers) as well as potentially sway them over to their bikes form the competition.

I'm 99% sure that I came out with the first disc-brake cross bike back @ the '99 Interbike show. It wasn't because we were trying to force new stuff down consumers' throats, it was because we thought it was a cool idea and no one was doing it yet and we could use it to bolster our exposure at the show. pretty simple.....no massive conspiracy.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Made a Disc Brake Disc Wheel! [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It lists matte white being a color option, can you ask them to post a pic of that too please? Thanks Jordan.

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Made a Disc Brake Disc Wheel! [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
gabbiev wrote:
Dilbert wrote:
leegoocrap wrote:
BECAUSE YOU NEED THEM
But why do we need them?
Why are you yelling?

HEY I HAVE AN IDEA!

I tend to agree with this.

In over 10 years doing product development in the bike business, never once did I ever hear anyone come up with any idea to make products that nobody wanted just to sell more stuff. Not a single time...this myth / perception of grand puppet masters in the bike business moving consumersa round like pawns is just that....a myth.

Product guys in the bike biz just want to make cool bikes....be it a $300 entry level MTB or a $3K tri bike. They want to come up with ideas / product strategies that meet their customers demands (both consumers and dealers) as well as potentially sway them over to their bikes form the competition.

I'm 99% sure that I came out with the first disc-brake cross bike back @ the '99 Interbike show. It wasn't because we were trying to force new stuff down consumers' throats, it was because we thought it was a cool idea and no one was doing it yet and we could use it to bolster our exposure at the show. pretty simple.....no massive conspiracy.

So...you're admitting that you produced something just to "stand out" (whether it worked better for the purpose or not) in the hopes of selling things? Got it ;-)

My problem is when the "cool idea" is half-baked and not well thought out, and then the bandwagon effect starts because people don't want to be seen as "behind the times" in their product offerings :-/

edit:...and then we end up with things like the most common MTB wheel being a mere 12mm larger in radius than the original "standard"...and people are CONVINCED it's "better" somehow <smh>

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Aug 31, 16 13:25
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Made a Disc Brake Disc Wheel! [nebmot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was on instagram

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Made a Disc Brake Disc Wheel! [jet black] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the very first disc wheel Zipp ever made

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Zipp Made a Disc Brake Disc Wheel! [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This sounds like a euphemistically-rephrased version of what the above poster said. The impetus may be well-intentioned but the goal is still to sell new product by updating old products or developing new ones that meet consumer demand.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Aug 31, 16 13:47
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Made a Disc Brake Disc Wheel! [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
"Braking on modern time trial and triathlon bikes often has been a challenge."

It has been? Hmmmmmmmmm...I've never had this problem.

I guess it depends on what kind of courses you race and in what kind of weather.
The world is a big place.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Made a Disc Brake Disc Wheel! [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My point was more than to the extent there are braking issues, they aren't necessarily unique to tri bikes and the most modern bikes (and I assume they really mean wheels not bikes) and/or brakes themselves have tended to address these issues
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Made a Disc Brake Disc Wheel! [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If rim brakes stay around, then companies need to get rid of the the bottom bracket brake.

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Made a Disc Brake Disc Wheel! [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm happy to see Zipp offering this disc brake disc wheel.

We just got back from the wind tunnel. I can't share data, but I can share a trend.

It’s tricky to make a blanket statement like “discs have more drag,” because testing different bikes gives different results. For example, a bike optimized for rim brakes, by definition isn’t optimized for disc brakes, so sticking some discs on it doesn’t represent the performance you’d expect from a bike designed from the ground up as a disc brake bike. Same in reverse: we did some research in the wind tunnel. Starting with a disc brake bike, removing the front disc brake (caliper & rotor) saved about 1.5 Watts of air power (@30 mph). Removing the rear saved another 1.5 Watts. Adding a rear rim brake (under BB) added about 2 Watts. Adding a TriRig front brake added another 1.5 Watts. Net in this experiment, the rim brakes had about 0.5 Watts more drag. So disc brakes can have more or less drag than rim brakes, depending on the bike chosen for the test.

If you care about braking, consider disc brakes. If you care about speed, consider disc brakes.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gabbiev wrote:
What about the opportunity that disc brakes offer in optimizing rim profile?

Obviously, this isn't Zipp but Enve has apparently done some of that with their new 4.5 AR offering: http://www.bicycling.com/...es-45-ar-disc-wheels

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gabbiev wrote:
And did anyone notice that the new Zipp disc disc uses the same rim as the Zipp non-disc disc? What about the opportunity that disc brakes offer in optimizing rim profile? Seems like Zipp essentially slapped a disc brake hub in their standard wheel (not a whole lot more complicated than that, conceptually).

- you are assuming that, for a disc, that a change in shape would be beneficial. A disc might be the sort of wheel where the shape is the shape, whether it's rim brake or disc brake. Now, certainly, this might have just been the most expeditious solution, and maybe eventually there will a rotor-optimized disc, but I think the fact that Zipp "just stuck a rotor" on a Super9 shouldn't imply that somehow it's inferior.

- the hub is necessarily unique. Zipp discs are stressed skin over a nomex core. They are not - unlike HED/FLO - spoke wheels with a carbon cover. The disc is molded in the autoclave, and there is a fuzzy logic machine that constantly adjusts the X-Y position of the hub as the slow epoxy they use to bond it into the disc cures. So they can't just "slap a disc brake hub" in the disc wheel. That's not how Zipp discs are made. Further, having the braking at the rotor on the hub rather than the rim will introduce a whole host of different stresses into this wheel that would almost certainly (I'll have to check, but i'd be shocked if this wasn't the case) require layup changes to reinforce the area around the hub. You obviously need to have reinforcements in this area on the driveside because of drivetrain stress, but now you'll have even more stress and new stresses on the non-drive side. I'd be very surprised if even using the same shape, there were not some layup changes to accommodate disc braking.

I say all of this as someone who really has no desire for disc brakes. I think the NSW braking surface paired with hydraulic rim brakes with good pads is phenomenal. I can already easily lock up both wheels. I simply cannot imagine needing more braking power than what I have. So I am not a fan of the seemingly inevitable shift towards disc brakes. That said, I am open minded. But given how large (or, rather, small) Dimond is, I don't expect that I'll be on disc brakes anytime in the foreseeable future. I just don't see it as a wise investment of time/resources on Dimond's part.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply

Prev Next