Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp Logos... Yellowing?
Quote | Reply
I took out my Zipp 606s this week. They've seen a total of maybe 30 miles. At first I thought they were dirty or stained, but it turns out that part of the white "Zipp" lettering is yellowed/browned. Seems odd and looks like I don't take care of my equipment!!! I've used no cleaners or anything on them. Normal?

[please save the nearly-obligatory response, "that's very bad and dangerous, so send me the wheels immediately"]

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Logos... Yellowing? [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i've seen a bunch of them new in shops and at i-bike. they start out that way and seem to yellow more with just the passage of time, even when hanging new in a shop.

can't say i know exactly why. not the most attractive way to display one's logo, but that's what zipp does on some of their wheels. perhaps josh will explain.

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have new 606's also and they are doing the same thing. Mine are about 1 month old.

Ken
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is normal for the color of the logo to vary slightly on the logos. The new logos are applied with a different process. This doesn't affect the performance of the wheel. The newer graphic application technique is significantly more durable than the older die-cut decal style still used on the lower cost Flashpoint wheels from Zipp.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are going so fast with them, that they are beginnning to show their fear?

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Logos... Yellowing? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm confused. The dimpled wheels have the decals built in, so I don't see why they'd change color. And I'd be fine w/ it if it were uniformly yellowed. But instead it's part of the lettering (i.e., looks like a stain across some of the word "Zipp"). I'll snap a pic if I can remember when I get home.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Logos... Yellowing? [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You are going so fast with them, that they are beginnning to show their fear?
You bettcha, Doc... I was worried that my blazing 21,3 mph average for 55 miles of tempo might melt and warp them, too!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Zipp logo on front 404 has also turned yellow after only a few months. Don't know what has caused it and it won't come out.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Logos... Yellowing? [tlc13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zipp 606's, had them about a month and yellow all over.

-------------------------------------------------
Latest Duct tape QR Superfull fashion model
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definite maybe ;-)

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess Zipp was looking out for people removing the decals and "rebranding" them.The decals are covered by the final clear coating over the dimpled carbon surface.With this method, the decals stay with the rim, but suffer the "hepatitis" plague.

Mine were already yellow from the store.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, like they all said, normal. But at least the decals don't peel off:) Hey there had to be a positive burried in there somewhere.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Logos... Yellowing? [campled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I guess Zipp was looking out for people removing the decals and "rebranding" them.
My instinct was to screw them and put Hed stickers on top of them. But then I thought about how slow I am, and how nothing could make Zipp look worse than people seeing me riding their wheels, so I think I'll keep them uncovered. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the clearcoat over the logo probably has some alkyd in the resin. alkyd resins yellow, especially in the absence of light.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Logos... Yellowing? [Erik Clark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the clearcoat over the logo probably has some alkyd in the resin. alkyd resins yellow, especially in the absence of light.

So you suggest that baking my wheel under 320nm UV light will get rid of it?

I actually think it is the other way round. But this way maybe I get all the decals to be uniformly "urine-yellow", and it doesn't look like all neighborhood dogs lifted their leg on my front wheel.

First the seized hub, cheapo endcaps and now the decals... I swear that this was the last "american made" boutique wheel I'll ever waste money on.

Can't believe that they didn't test for that in product development. Is there a way to remove the clearcoat to get to the decals?

My hand is already reaching for the paint-thinner....

adrialin

(BOMK, racing drug and supplement free since 1985)
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Logos... Yellowing? [adrialin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alkyd resins yellow faster in dark then in light believe it or not. As I was thinking about this more the other day it is also possible that the epoxy used on the carbon is causing the yellowing also. Somehow incorporating the logo to the wheel may have caused this where in the past it wasn't an issue. I would be willing to bet that this epoxy has always been yellowing the carbon, but since it is black you cant see the color change. Epoxy is really bad for yellowing. Worse than alkyd.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply