Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp Hub Bearings
Quote | Reply
I just took my luna-tri to the shop for a pre-Wildflower tune up and my mechanic noticed that the hub bearings (front and rear) on my zipp 404s seemed loose. I called zipp for clarification and they said that because they don't pre-load the bearing it will seem loose without the rider on it, but that it should not be noticable when riding as the rider weight will load the bearing...

Neither I nor the mechanic understand how the rider's weight will "load the bearing." Perhaps you just don't feel it...but when going down some of the hills at WF I don't think loose bearings are to be desired...

Anyone have any experience with this? Suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Hub Bearings [kcwiii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i did the same thing and got the same answer when i called zipp. the rep at im ca said the same thing. i have ridden on them a few times (speeds ~40 mph downhill) and they seemed fine. i will be there right next to you at wildflower. good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------
"No one ever told me they made black fondant!" - Duff Goldman
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Hub Bearings [kcwiii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zipp bearings, especially the new ones, are absolutely the industry standard. The finest available. Additionally, the hub bodies into which they are installed may be the most precisely manufactured hub shells/housings in the bike industry. It is a shame people always buy Zipps becasue they look cool and are aero. Two other great reasons to buy them are their hub quality and their durability. Some previous versions of the hubs relied on the quick release skewer to tighten to entire axle/bearing assembly. The hubs felt "loose" when you held them in your hand, but when you installed them on the bike and tightened your quick release almost all of the side to side play was gone. My guess is that's your situation. Good luck with that and at the race!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply