Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp Flashpoint
Quote | Reply
This is from triathletemag.com

ZIPP Flashpoint
Zipp’s Bill Vance got us hip to a new wheelset to debut in 2006, one that will make those who have always said they can’t afford Zipps reconsider.

Photo by: Jay Prasuhn
ZIPP Flashpoint

The sneak release emphasized that the Flashpoint will be an affordable alloy clincher option. At $1100 a pair, they are $550 less than the current Zipp 404 and 303 wheelsets. They will be available in 40 or 60mm carbon rim depth, built up on black stainless aero DT spokes and Japanese-made hubs with sealed-cartridge bearings and will be Campy and Shimano compatible. And as is always the case with Zipp, they will be completely American-built. The 40mm deep version will weigh 924 grams, the 60mm version 984 grams. See more at http://www.zipp.com.
-------------------------

Can someone tell me why these are worth $1100? Do deep wheels really have to be expensive to make? With all of this oriental carbon, couldn't someone get a 60mm non-stuctual fairing made and bond it to a set of Mavic Cosmos or Shimano 535 wheels, selling the package for under $500?
Last edited by: caleb: Sep 27, 05 17:00
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Flashpoint [caleb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hed does it for pretty darn close.

- Nick
Now that I know some of you guys look through the special needs bags for kicks, I'm gonna put some really weird stuff in mine. I can see it now. "What the heck was he going to do with a family pack of KFC chicken, a football helmet full of peanut butter, a 12 inch rubber dildo, and naked pictures of Bea Arthur?"
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Flashpoint [stallion1031] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While Hed's Jets are the most reasonably priced of the bunch, I don't understand why the Jet's are worth what they are. Mavic Cosmos wheels are $300. Can some chunks of plastic really cost more than $100? I think we should be getting 60mm carbon wheels for $400/pair.
Last edited by: caleb: Sep 27, 05 17:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Frank at Renn, are you out there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
??? I've ridden a Renn, and it's a great wheel! However, how you can compare the new Zipp wheel, or any spoked wheel, to a disc is beyond me.
A disc is very simple to make. A nomex (commonly used as airplane flooring and readily available at Boeing surplus, if you live in the great NW) core, with a carbon skin, bonded to an aluminum rim, with a hub glue and screwed. The hub's the only tricky part (why Zipp discs are so expensive is also beyond me!).
The Zipp rim is structural, and a whole lot more complicated to make.
Non-structural fairings either a)have a lot of spokes which negates *some* of the aero benefit, or b)have too few spokes to be a reliable wheel. (The Cosmics get by with this with ridiculously high tension, which often results in spoke pull-through at the rim).
If there were a way to make a cheap deep-dish carbon wheel, it'd be out there by now! The Hed Alps seems like the best alternative.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These are the old 404 and 303 non-dimpled rims laced up with Taiwanese hubs (according to Zipp Rep) with upgraded bearings. They're nice, especially considering the new suggested retail for '06 Zipp is $1750.00. So, the savings are substancial considering the aero benefits will likely be identical.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply