Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp Firecrest 404 breakage ?
Quote | Reply
First off: I love my wheels and am in no way blaming the Zipp wheels. I'm trying to figure out what really happened during my crash yesterday. During the final sprint of my crit yesterday I obviously didn't have my front wheel protected enough, because a rider swerved into me and I instantly went over the bars. I have three front spokes on one side that are cut in two and a fourth that is bent. The rest of the wheel looks like it's in great shape. I think my crashing may of been caused by his rear derailer going into my spokes. I'd appreciate Rapp or anyone who really knows about wheels to weigh in. To have 3 spokes cut in half wouldn't I pretty much have to of had something stuck in the wheel or are there other possible explanations for spokes to break in two?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Firecrest 404 breakage ? [ridindirtee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally, I'd put this into the "glad I didn't break anything" (assuming you didn't). If the rim is still structurally sound, I'd assume that it was something that cut the spokes. But that's really just a guess. Worth sending the wheel in to have it checked out and rebuilt. That's my advice.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Firecrest 404 breakage ? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could have stress-cracked them as well. If the wheel was deformed in the crash significantly it could have snapped the spokes. Usually happens near the heads but I've seen spokes break midway in high energy crashes...and they were 14g spokes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I absolutely agree, I'm glad to be walking around and at work today. My first impact with the ground was helmet. My Bell Sweep did exactly what it was made to do. The helmet looks terrible, but I had a CT of my head and neck yesterday and everything looks good. Plenty of road rash, headache, and a sore neck, but not nearly as bad as it looked. I'm amazed how well the wheels held up after what I put them through. I'm not sure I can really get an answer, but I really want to know what caused me to go from rolling along at 33 mph to instantly smacking the pavement. It happened so fast. Thanks for your opinion, I'll get the wheels checked out and be rolling on them again in no time. Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's just bike racing. Makes for a good story and some good scars. Glad you got away without serious injury, and get that wheel checked out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The other guys have covered the spoke issue, so I'll just say I'm glad you're ok and, having been in similar situations in the past, I'd like to thank you for reminding me why I quit racing crits.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Firecrest 404 breakage ? [DrPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's good to hear at least someone is learning from my bad experiences.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I understand you're not blaming Zipp, but the title of your thread makes it sound like you are. Just saying....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Rappstar

How would they rebuild the wheel and check it? would they just true it and put through the new spokes? How do you then know the wheel is structually sound still?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Firecrest 404 breakage ? [Oz_in_Canada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you send it to the Zipp factory in Indianapolis they take it through a series of tests after they rebuild or they'll let you know if it's trashed or not.
Quote Reply