Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp Firecrest 404 Tubulars - 25mm yay or nay?
Quote | Reply
I was gifted a set of 2012 404 tubulars with 25mm Vittoria Corsas. Is this wide of tire going to be slower, faster, or not noticeably different than a 23mm Corsa? They will be used for a few road races over rolling terrain but more often than not just in local group hammerfests. If it matters the roads range from nice to chipseal but nothing terrible (no dirt or gravel). My current wheels are 2009 Zipp 303 tubulars with 23mm Corsas. Thanks in advance for any input.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Firecrest 404 Tubulars - 25mm yay or nay? [WallaceScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, if the 303 data is any indication, it'll be slower(and I believe the 303s were designed to be MORE forgiving for 25mm tires), but for the riding you're describing, I'd probably ride em as they are and then swap em out for 23s when they're done.

P.S. the difference likely won't be noticeable.

http://velonews.competitor.com/...erodynamics-Zipp.png
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Firecrest 404 Tubulars - 25mm yay or nay? [WallaceScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For road racing 25 is a reasonable enough option to not be worth replacing them.

When they wear out I would go with 23 though, at least up front.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Firecrest 404 Tubulars - 25mm yay or nay? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree with the posts above. The 25c Vittorias should provide an awesome ride for almost all road racing and fast group riding situations. For purely timed events I'd drop down to 23c at least in the front but the current setup is a very fast, low Crr setup with a big cornering patch and if you don't pump them up crazy hard they should provide a very plush ride.

Wear out the 25c Vittorias and if you plan to TT on these wheels consider a 23c up front as a replacement.

-Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WallaceScott wrote:
If it matters the roads range from nice to chipseal but nothing terrible (no dirt or gravel). My current wheels are 2009 Zipp 303 tubulars with 23mm Corsas. Thanks in advance for any input.
If you have access to a vernier caliper or similar measuring device, I would suggest you inflate both the 303's and 404's to riding pressure and then measure tire width. With our Zipp 303 FC clinchers (on road bikes) with latex tubes, I found that Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX tires in 23mm width, measured closer ~25 (24.9mm) and 25's measured closer to 28mm (~27.8mm). While the 25's offered a really nice ride (inflated to 100/105), even before I measured the tire widths, on group rides I couldn't shake the sensation that rolling resistance was a tad bit high thus went back to riding the 23's.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Firecrest 404 Tubulars - 25mm yay or nay? [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting - never considered the tire specs could be off that much so will definitely measure and report back. In terms of rolling resistance I guess I mistakenly assumed the wider tire would be lower but would give up weight and be less aero. I am on an R3 if it matters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're not doing TT's, I would say you'll have a hard time finding a nicer ride. Enjoy!

ps. I heard somewhere (Fleck) that 25 is the new 23!

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WallaceScott wrote:
Interesting - never considered the tire specs could be off that much so will definitely measure and report back. In terms of rolling resistance I guess I mistakenly assumed the wider tire would be lower but would give up weight and be less aero. I am on an R3 if it matters.

wider tires Do have less rolling resistance, all else being, equally, and inflated appropriately. You can run a little bit less pressure the wider the tire is, for optimal performance.

the NET resistance to forward motion will be higher sometimes though, due to increase aerodynamic drag.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Last edited by: jackmott: Feb 11, 13 14:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Time-wise...i doubt you'll see much of a difference...comfort-wise...you'll see a noticeable difference.

Quote | Reply
I can't see the reason why not? Comfy..fast...neglible weigh differance.
Quote Reply