Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp FC 808 with regular brake pads?
Quote | Reply
I'm about to rent some wheels from race day wheels and they only have the 808 in FC or they have the 808 max with the aluminum rim. Would I be able to use the 808 FC without changing my brake pads out? I don't really plan on braking during the race and my rear wheel will be the 900 disc which I believe is aluminum so I could always just brake using the rear.

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp FC 808 with regular brake pads? [ktj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do you need me to help you change your brake pads?

it takes 2 minutes, and it will be safer for you and nicer to the wheel if you put some carbon specific pads on there.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
from my experience, you can brake with normal brake pads in dry conditions. It will just be loud and squeaky and everyone who knows about this stuff within earshot will know what you did (or did not do by swapping in carbon pads). If it is wet, you will lose a TON of stopping power, which can be especially troublesome with the front wheel since that is the one that has the ability to stop your bike on a dime.

So basically, it can be done, but you would be compromising safety slightly b/c of lesser stopping power, esp. in the rain.

---------------------------------------------------------------
http://cyclussports.com/ - #ZeroPositive #CyclusSports
http://app.strava.com/athletes/355549
https://twitter.com/ryanAjoyce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope.
You will void the Zipp warranty. Regular brake pads have an abrasive additive that will ruin the brake tracks of the FC's.
Zipp approved brake pads are: Zipp Cork, Zipp Carbon/Carbon, Swiss Stop Yellows, Bonty carbon pads.
Brake pads take 1 minute to install, 2 if you drink a beer during install.

Edit: The rental company may be able (or should) set you up with the correct brake pads, if they want to save their wheels.
Last edited by: LabRat625: Jun 3, 11 7:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're going to have to fiddle with the brakes anyway since the FC rim is so much wider. I'm a little surprised th RDW guys don't rent the pads with the wheels, but going into a race thinking you don't need the front brake is a bit dangerous.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp FC 808 with regular brake pads? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alright I guess I'll change the pads out. I just didn't want to buy brake pads that I'll only use once.

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp FC 808 with regular brake pads? [Ti T'war] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ti T'war wrote:
You're going to have to fiddle with the brakes anyway since the FC rim is so much wider. I'm a little surprised th RDW guys don't rent the pads with the wheels, but going into a race thinking you don't need the front brake is a bit dangerous.

I would think it would be a part of the original rental of the wheel itself...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp FC 808 with regular brake pads? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got an email from them a few minutes and they said the send out the pads but I don't have to use them unless my pads have metal bits in them.

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp FC 808 with regular brake pads? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was my thinking as well.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I don't really plan on braking during the race" What do you do going into T2? My training wheels are Mavics and I use standard pads and change them for my Zipps. It takes me more time to swap out my wheels then it does to change the pads. If you have never done it, there is a small set screw that holds the pads in place, you loosen it and replace the pads.

Why put yourself and others at risk with your breaking. Why put your wallet at risk for damaging the rental wheels with your old pads?

Quote Reply