Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp Disk Damage - to race on it, or not
Quote | Reply
This has been quite an adventure, traveling for the first time this season. I'll spare the details and get down to the basics:

my sub 9 disk has acquired a series of pings -- definitely not dimples, :-( -- near the hub on the non drive-train side. this is an addition to one on the outer edge that was earned flying to vegas last year. i've had one bike-shop tell me it's okay, and another tell me ehhhhhhh. i'll take it down to the race venue tomorrow to hopefully find some Zipp representatives and get their official take, but in the meantime I will ask ST:

what are your thoughts? safe to ride?

what is the worst thing that could happen if i ride on it? what happens when a disk implodes while you're riding?

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Disk Damage - to race on it, or not [afurlong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Safe. You will NOT notice anything different. (I can barely to see any damage from your photo.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what is the worst thing that could happen if i ride on it?

The *worst* that could happen is that you would crash and kill yourself... and it would cause a massive pileup, killing a bunch more people, including little children who were spectating and their cuddly puppies. Actually I can imagine a chain events that would lead to the extinction of all life, but that is enough for now...

But I wouldn't worry about it. If I owned that I'd get some nice looking carbon cloth and some epoxy and patch it up when I got a chance. But I've seen people riding on disks that looked a lot worse.
Last edited by: rruff: Apr 10, 14 16:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow... that thing is porked, done, gone, an accident waiting to happen.

I've always wanted to make a Zipp Disk clock for my garage. I'll give you 50 bucks for it, tomorrow, in cash.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are racing soon, race on it.

But I would replace ASAP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If there's any similarity between the internal structure of Zipp and Lightweight discs, you'll be fine. An airline basically put a hole halfway through my friend's Autobahn and he didn't have a problem at Age Group Nationals.

Although I would recommend getting a new disc at some point. That won't hold up forever.

--
Justin Clark | Catalyst Cycling | Twitter | Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seriously. No big deal and probably never will be. There is so much structural support in those disc you will never even know. I seen and ridden way worse. Hell I raced half a road season on old zipp 404's that were jb welded and the braking surface. I think we went through about dozen Zipp rims that season. (2001)

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it brings you any comfort, I have Zipp Sub 9 disc that had a hole in it about 3" long and 1" wide. I patched it with the some carbon and have been racing on it without any issues at all for 3 years. Your wheel looks mint compared to mine.

...and if my wheel explodes and I die at least no one will say I wasn't aero.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Disk Damage - to race on it, or not [Flanny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New tagline - "Die aero." :)

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Disk Damage - to race on it, or not [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, folks!

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I saw that on my wheel, my concern would be for the resale value of the wheel. I'm not sure the possibility of failure would even cross my mind. Have a great race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The worst ?
-You may crash and injure yourself and other people near you badly….
- From your photo, it does not look that bad, but you should know better than all those of us who look at it in a photo.

What should you do?
-I would ASAP, get in touch with SRAM/ZIPP to see if they stand behind their quality. I suppose this was not caused by any accident, right?
- My experience with SRAM/ZIPP stand regarding their warranty and quality, is the worst of all I have experienced in the bike/triathlon world, and everywhere as a matter of fact. They simply have no respect for customers…
I had a ZIPP crankset that would not work, right from day one, and they would not stand by it. After years of writing and calling they exchanged it for a SRAM crankset, a $350 fro the $1,250 value of the ZIPP crankset. Then, a year later, they offered $500 additional…. but I am still waiting and arguing that they should reimburse 100% of it.
Not very honest attitude!
-My view, is that they ought to change your disc for a new one, if it is established that you did not cause the problem… Let us know, how they treated you…I am curious.
As I said in earlier comments in ST, they make very good products until they break down…. then try to get them honor the warranty! So, I would rather buy another brand, than having to pray that I am not the one getting a lemon…. If it does happen most probably my investment will go down the drain….
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Think about it, they cut out a big-ass hole in the carbon for the valve stem cutout. You'll be fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Disk Damage - to race on it, or not [RZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RZ wrote:
Think about it, they cut out a big-ass hole in the carbon for the valve stem cutout. You'll be fine.

Are all disk wheels full foam cores? [I thought I read the new generation Zipps were not] You could have a disk which is hollow inside and because there is a hole for the valve, the laminate is augmented in that area to accommodate the stress concentration of the hole.

Look at the fuselage skin thickness next time you get on an airliner. Do you really think the airplane would fly if the skin was *that* thick everywhere? Of course not, the skin is built up to handle the stresses caused by putting - as you put it - a big-ass hole in the fuselage.

I agree, generally, with your assessment but the substantiation could use some polish
Quote Reply