Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp Disk - 2006 vs 2005... Josh@Zipp?
Quote | Reply
I saw the 06 disk at Interbike with a new lighter claimed weight of 890 grams vs the current 960 of the 2005 disk (700c). I was amazed just how light it was. There would almost be no reason not to run the disk, even in a hilly timetrial with a disk that light.

Is the new disk currently in production?

When will it actually be available?

Are there any differences (no matter how subtle) aside from weight alone?

Where did the weight savings come from?

Price difference 05 vs 06?

Thanks in advance for the info.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Disk - 2006 vs 2005... Josh@Zipp? [tospin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 2006 catalog and the stated weight is just over 860g for a 700c cassette hubbed disk. price in £ is £899 which I think is about the same as last year.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Disk - 2006 vs 2005... Josh@Zipp? [tospin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new disc is in production. It is shipping now. I asked Josh this about three weeks ago, and they were in production and shipping then.

The MAJOR difference is a vastly improved hub. Do some searches for joshatzipp's posts. He talks about it. There is also a whitepaper on Zipp's site. Much of the weight savings comes from the new hub, but it is the mechanical changes that make the '06 worth buying more than the weight savings. The new hubs are also a different alloy. Overall, a worthwhile upgrade.

'06 is more $$. Not sure how much.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Disk - 2006 vs 2005... Josh@Zipp? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That being said...weight at the hub does not really count. It is the rotating weight at the outside of the rim that counts more.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Disk - 2006 vs 2005... Josh@Zipp? [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, hence my statement that the mechanical changes, not the weight, are what make it a notable upgrade worth choosing over a cheaper '05. Weight for the Zipp has never been an issue. Even a heavy disc like the Ghibli is the right choice for just about every course except for the Mt. Washington Hill Climb...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply