Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp Disc vs HED Disc
Quote | Reply
I'm going to buy a disc for flatter races but know very little about the used Disc market. I found a Zipp Disc on CL, local to me. The guy is asking $650. I have a local bike shop that will inspect it before I purchase. He doesn't know the model so it's apparent he purchased used. Here is a picture of it: http://i1082.photobucket.com/...lo%20P2/IMG_6168.jpg

It seems like a real good deal but he believes it may be a 2007/2008 model. I can get a newer HED Jet Disc for around the same price. Thoughts/opinions?

gprunner

"Treat your body like you'll live forever, treat your soul like you'll die tomorrow"
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Disc vs HED Disc [gprunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gprunner wrote:
I'm going to buy a disc for flatter races but know very little about the used Disc market.

Why for only flat races?

The Zipp is going to be tubular while the HED is clincher. Does that matter to you? If not, I'd buy new. But you really can't go wrong with either.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The newer HED disc may be a bit faster, and will handle like a normal wheel which can be nice.

You can go ahead and use either one for your hilly races too!

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Disc vs HED Disc [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah you are both right, I'd use for hilly as well. I have a pair of the Aeolus 9's which are pretty light. I plan to keep the Aeolus on the front with the Disc on the back. I've never ridden Tubular before, which is the Zipp, should there be a concern there? Also, is there a way by looking at the wheel to know what year/model it is?

gprunner

"Treat your body like you'll live forever, treat your soul like you'll die tomorrow"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why don't u get a wheel cover? cheaper and u get pretty much the same advantage!

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Disc vs HED Disc [camaleon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 reasons:
1. I've heard the wheel covers can be a bit heavy?
2. If i find a good deal on a used wheel I could always resell for close to purchased price... so not money spent.

gprunner

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whether the tubular vs. clincher is a concern depends a bit on how much you want to ride the disc and your target events.

Gluing tubulars isn't a lot of fun but it's not rocket science either so plan a bit for the extra hassle factors with tubulars or have a shop glue them for you. Tubulars can also be troublesome if you have a flat mid ride. You can carry a pre glued spare but you'll be carrying a complete tire and tube not just a tube in addition to your inflator and then a field swapped tubular should be ridden carefully as in no hard cornering or high speed twisty descending on the tire which won't actually be firmly glued to the rim though pre gluing the spare helps some.

I ride tubular race wheels and way back in the day we all trained on tubulars and carried one or more pre glued spares on training rides. These days I save the tubulars for race day but I'm doing time trials and road races not all day timed events. One problem with committing to tubulars is that you really should do some of your training with your new disc wheel to get used to handling it in a variety of conditions including windy days. So when you train on the tubular disc you'll want to carry a spare tubular and hope you don't run into nasty bits of glass and such that you might carry with you into your next race. If you go with the clincher disc it's a heck of a lot easier to swap to race day tires and it's a lot easier to repair training or race day flats and not have to worry about rolling the tire as you continue your ride.

If your target events are time trials or shorter races the down side of tubulars might not matter too much as a flat on either tire pretty much ruins your time. But if you're targeting IM bike legs or other long races in the saddle then IMO clinchers make a lot more sense as you can change one in a couple of minutes and get back on the bike with no worries about rolling a tire and you can carry two or more spare tubes with less bulk and weight than a single spare tubular so you get a bit more insurance on long rides.

-Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Disc vs HED Disc [Dave_Ryan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always hear that you need to "get used to riding a disc." while I made sure it worked properly during a short ride, I didn't need to get used to it...its round, it rolls, it has a tube and tire (but use caution when riding in heavey wind). A disc to me is like going from "hairy legs and a dragsuit" to "shaved body and a fastskin." I feel the discs real speed when i pop in on on race day. I keep my pricey HED jet disc asleep in the closet until race days.

used zipp, new HED? new HED any day =-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a zipp 900 tubular. That sounds like a pretty reasonable deal to me. Aside from the tubular factor, keep in mind that the carbon braking surface will require that you use swap out your brake pads to carbon specific ones too. It may not be a big deal, but some of the more integrated brakes can be a pain to work with.

The Jet Disc will be heavier by about 1/2 a pound, but it incorporates the buldge profile into the rim, which may be faster in most bike set ups. It also uses an aluminum braking surface, so no need to switch brake pads when you want to use it. NOTE - Although the majority of Jet discs are clincher, they did produce them in a tubular version as well (I've owned Jet tubulars and have seen the Jet tubular disc on another bike).
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Disc vs HED Disc [Tri or Die] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri or Die wrote:
(but use caution when riding in heavey wind)

Why?

When will people let go of this?

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Disc vs HED Disc [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
because you wont get blown around as much as you think, for some reason, and when you go to correct for the gust, will steer yourself right off the road or into pasing or oncoming traffic as a result ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Disc vs HED Disc [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wsrobert wrote:
Tri or Die wrote:
(but use caution when riding in heavey wind)

Why?

When will people let go of this?

Never....I've given up trying to convince people too.

-------------------------------
I'm faster in Kilometers!
Wattie Ink Triathlon Team