Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp Disc Maintenaince
Quote | Reply
Group:

Posted last week:

I put my Zipp Disc (3-4 years old) on my bike last night for the 1st time since IMC in order to get ready for a race this weekend. After the disc was on I turned the peddles backward while lubing the chain, and the disc began to turn backward a little too. Doesn't really feel like much/any friction there, but I'm not sure that I have ever noticed this before.

The wheel probably doesn't have but 3-400 miles or so, and I believe I take immaculate care of it; BUT, I am not a wrench, have never taken the hub apart, serviced it, etc. I have put the bead of grease under the cassette lock ring as instructed and it always looks very clean in there.

Anything futher that I should be doing?

NOW:

I rode the Disc, very successfully, in the race last weekend. Felt great! The race was in a serious rain storm. Now, it sound like there is water in the disc that is slowly draining out through the valve hole. You can actually hear water sloshing around inside when you turn the wheel different ways - never experienced this before. Anything I should do other than just let it work its way out. Also, above issue is more pronounced.

Really just need overall maintenance help. Not a Zipp expert shop close.

Thanks for any help (Tom!)!

-

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Last edited by: david: May 20, 03 6:43
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Disc Maintenaince [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dunno what to say about the water in the disc, other than to let it work itself out. But between my wife and I, we have a pair of 303s and a pair of 404s with last year's hubs in them and they both turn backwards when you backpedal. In fact, her pedals will turn forward a little while walking the bike forwards. I had never seen this before, so I asked the Zipp people at an expo and they told us that it was more or less normal for some of their wheels to exhibit that behavior.
Quote Reply