Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 900 Damage - Repair or not?
Quote | Reply

My wheel got damaged while transporting it from Raleigh last week. Sent it as checked baggage (AA) in a Scicon bike case and got this nasty "gash". Took it to LBS, was told to leave it like that but my OCD won't allow it. Also, another friend told me there's a chance it will continue to open and an idea would be to put a sticker / decal to contain it.

I contacted Calfee but they don't do wheels anymore. So what say you?

1. Leave it as it is?
2. Put a sticker / decal??
3. Send it to repair - who would you recommend?
4. Zipp replacement program (I've used this before but still had to pay something like 70% of MRSP)

Ideas?

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 900 Damage - Repair or not? [CMattos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think I would just "leave it like that". Maybe I'm dense, but I can't believe the LBS would say that. I don't know who could repair that, but I would get it replaced.

Can you not go back on the airline for damage?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honeycomb core construction is hard to fix. The damage is at leas radially. If it seems to be strong in flex, and you want to keep it. I would put a very small amount of epoxy on the crack to keep out moisture and ride it.

There are some people that will say it will blow up. With the direction of the damaged fibers, I am not sure how that would happen.

I would not put a sticker over it for the reason that you can not monitor the damage for further degradation.

just my 0.02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know about the disk, but which scicon case was it in?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 900 Damage - Repair or not? [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup... Having a look at it now. I know this will be an uphill battle but will try. I'm also checking with amex although apparently their insurance only covers up to $500.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 900 Damage - Repair or not? [mfrassica] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, makes a lot of sense. It seems that this is no longer reliable, so maybe the safest bet would be a replacement.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 900 Damage - Repair or not? [commendatore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scicon Aerocomfort 2.0 soft case.

I always travel with a Thule hard case and never had a problem. It's a pain to disassemble the aerobar, pedals & seatpost compared to just taking out the wheels for the soft case. Other than damage to the wheel, my break lever was bent inwards and my BTS cage broken. Seems someone threw a heavy piece of luggage on top of it at the airport. Not planning on using this bike case again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CMattos wrote:

3. Send it to repair - who would you recommend?

Ideas?
My wheel was damaged on a flight not too long ago and I had Zipp / SRAM repair it. You have to arrange it through your local bike shop. Mine was more of a round puncture though - probably from the foot of some piece of luggage pressing on it.

For the puncture they just did an epoxy resin patch. For yours, they'll probably have to do a carbon panel. They fixed mine for free but I would guess they'll quote yours at a couple hundred bucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CMattos wrote:
Scicon Aerocomfort 2.0 soft case.

Thanks. I've been thinking about an oru airport ninja for frequent travel but stories like this have me scared.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If zipp won't repair it as another poster suggested, I'd replace it. The face sheet is almost certainly detached from the core, and this is a bigger problem IMO than the visible damage.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 900 Damage - Repair or not? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The location of the damage is in the least stressed area of a disc wheel. The critical areas are those around the hub and those near the brake track. Just in between the low stress can spread pretty well through the areas nerby. So even without doing anything the wheel should last without any issues. To clear the situation I would grab a high quality 2K resin and make a thin beading on top the crack. For aesthetics and UV protection you can cover it with a black tape.

That's what I did with my Zipp 900 years ago, too. I even had a crack of 30mm by 5mm, but in a similarly uncritical location.
Quote Reply