Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 88 hub failure
Quote | Reply
Hi guys, long time reader, first time poster.

I recently purchased a 404/808 firecrest set from a friend, as she decided she didn't want to deal with tubulars anymore. They were lightly used, race day only wheels.
Three rides down, during a 100km TT, the hub failed.

Unfortunately due to being the second owner the wheel is out of warranty and also being a 2011 404 is most likely out of two years as well, even if lightly ridden. I wouldn't have expected the hub to fail where it did and most likely associate it with a structural manufacturing flaw, however due to my lack of warranty i doubt any avenue exists other than a hub replacement at my cost.

I have tried to attach a photo below. If it doesn't work, the link to my public flickr account is http://www.flickr.com/...251@N02/11797982884/

The question I have, since I now most likely will have to replace the hub and get the wheel re-built (expensive for my budget). Do I replace with the current Zipp 88 V9 hub, or do I look toward something like a Shimano Dura Ace hub, or DT Swiss, or even Chris King.

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts as I have to make this decision quickly, My next 70.3 in in 4 weeks :s

Cheers,
Nick.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 88 hub failure [ntridon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might replace it with a power tap rear hub unless you already have a crank based PM.

I wonder if the hub was overtightned. Zipp rear hubs have a lot of freeplay and I was told my my LBS that they needed to be left that way.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 88 hub failure [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
You might replace it with a power tap rear hub unless you already have a crank based PM.

I wonder if the hub was overtightned. Zipp rear hubs have a lot of freeplay and I was told my my LBS that they needed to be left that way.

The 88 is a front hub. 188 is the equivalent rear hub.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ntridon wrote:
The question I have, since I now most likely will have to replace the hub and get the wheel re-built (expensive for my budget). Do I replace with the current Zipp 88 V9 hub, or do I look toward something like a Shimano Dura Ace hub, or DT Swiss, or even Chris King.

Easiest is to get another Zipp 88 if it means you don't have to get new spokes.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 88 hub failure [asad137] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd get an opinion from whoever is going to rebuild your wheel.

Personally I've had a lot of problems with zipp hubs and would not buy a new one if I had other options.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sold all my wheels that had 188/88 hubs and got rid of them out of the wheels which I have kept. I'm switching to Chris King hubs.

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would definitely not reuse any of those spokes. All of the hubs you mentioned will work... I'd bet Rich at Wheelbuilder could whip you up something really good. He has a stellar reputation.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 88 hub failure [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 404 is an 18 hole right???

For the hubs I would recommend, Alchemy ELF. Great lightweight, solid hub, durable, light, builds strong.

Also, the beauty is it has no marking, just gloss black, so it would match the Zipp Rear, and wouldn't mismatch the rear hub.

I've personally never had issues with the 88 hub, overall, pretty good hub. The rear 188, until the v9, were garbage.

Nothing wrong with getting a new 88 and having the wheel rebuilt with CXRays again also...by a good place. But for my money, just make the switch to something like the ELF...can't go wrong with that.
Last edited by: bnkbreaker: Jan 6, 14 14:11
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 88 hub failure [bnkbreaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bnkbreaker wrote:
The 404 is an 18 hole right???

Looks like 16H in the picture.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you try contacting Zipp or a Zipp authorized repair shop? Tell them your story. You don't know what they will say until you ask.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply