Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 858 tire choice
Quote | Reply
Pulled the trigger on a front wheel disc brake. Called Zipp and they recommended 25mm wheels. But didnt get any info on specific tires recommended, say the GP 4000 or TT.

I'm wondering if 25mm would indeed be best in the front vs 23mm. Zipp rep recommended 25 starting crr. But I read about how the wheel is narrower than current wide depths. So would the crr trump aero for this wheel? Does any one have any experience/info. Or know what the pros are using on theirs? Tire brand and width wise.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 858 tire choice [zinny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many manufacturers say go with 25mm for "crr" but that's mostly a red herring driven by an incorrect understanding of air pressure, casing tension, and crr. A 25mm tire does not roll measurably faster than a 23mm tire of the same construction when adjusted for air pressure (proper crr measurements would compare the 23c at a higher, not equivalent, air pressure to the 25c). Most independent aero testing reveals that narrow is (still) aero when it comes to tire selection. The only caveat to this that I'm aware of at the moment is the Enve 7.8.

If I were to pick a tire for the 858 I would err on the side of aero. I would go with a 23mm Attack or GP4000S II. Zipp wheels have, historically, tested well (aero) with the GP4000S II. We don't have any data but I'd imagine the 23mm Attack would test well as well but roll faster. Zipp's own Tangente Speed probably isn't a bad choice either. It's likely based on the newer Hutchinson compound so it will roll somewhere between a GP4000S II and a GP TT. It's also likely the tire Zipp used in developing the 858 NSW. It's also a 25c if that appeals to you.

tl;dr 23 Attack or GP4000S II or the 25c Tangente Speed.

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 858 tire choice [zinny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve been running a 23 mm supersonic on the front and 23 mm TT on the rear.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 858 tire choice [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks greenplease for the detailed response and stevej for the n+1. I think I'll stick to 23mm in the front then. Currently running the 23/25mm force attack combo on my Heds so I think ill stick with that with the new wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 858 tire choice [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great race Saturday..how were the wheels racing? noticeably more stable? Also what pressure
Last edited by: mike s: Oct 16, 18 17:26
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 858 tire choice [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Many manufacturers say go with 25mm for "crr" but that's mostly a red herring driven by an incorrect understanding of air pressure, casing tension, and crr. A 25mm tire does not roll measurably faster than a 23mm tire of the same construction when adjusted for air pressure (proper crr measurements would compare the 23c at a higher, not equivalent, air pressure to the 25c).

Please tell me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that there's more to going fast than just a Crr test and an aero test.
(Also, who says you can't compare a 23 and 25 at the same pressure?)

The higher pressure 23 (compared to the lower pressure 25) will as far as I can see transmit more vibrations/forces to the rider, where they will have to be absorbed, creating a power cost to the body that subtracts from the power you can put through the pedals.

A secondary issue would be less suspension travel, meaning it's more likely to bottom out on a big hole / snakebite puncture.

Finally, I would imagine that a 23 vs 25 (or even a 28) on the rear wheel would make SFA difference since it's already sheltered. But the comfort and Crr difference might be beneficial.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 858 tire choice [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
Great race Saturday..how were the wheels racing? noticeably more stable? Also what pressure

Thanks!!

Had no issues on Saturday racing with the wheels. Though we didn’t have any crazy winds like usual. I did climb and descend Hawi the Sunday before the race which was more windy than race day. Had no issues with the wheels. To my subjective feeling, they feel less twitchy than my FC 808’s.

The only other thing I noticed is a bit of brake rub on the rear when standing up and hammering. I adjusted the brakes a bit and I could really widen them to get it to not do it but then there is a long pull in the lever. It’s been a while since I ran my rear 808 so I don’t remember if it did it as well. My super 9 doesn’t have this issue.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 858 tire choice [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
Many manufacturers say go with 25mm for "crr" but that's mostly a red herring driven by an incorrect understanding of air pressure, casing tension, and crr. A 25mm tire does not roll measurably faster than a 23mm tire of the same construction when adjusted for air pressure (proper crr measurements would compare the 23c at a higher, not equivalent, air pressure to the 25c).

Please tell me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that there's more to going fast than just a Crr test and an aero test.
(Also, who says you can't compare a 23 and 25 at the same pressure?)

The higher pressure 23 (compared to the lower pressure 25) will as far as I can see transmit more vibrations/forces to the rider, where they will have to be absorbed, creating a power cost to the body that subtracts from the power you can put through the pedals.

A secondary issue would be less suspension travel, meaning it's more likely to bottom out on a big hole / snakebite puncture.

Finally, I would imagine that a 23 vs 25 (or even a 28) on the rear wheel would make SFA difference since it's already sheltered. But the comfort and Crr difference might be beneficial.

You are incorrect. 100 psi is not 100 psi across all tire widths. If you put 100psi into a 29x2.2" mtb tire it will be significantly "harder" than a 23c tire at the same pressure. Accordingly, if you were to run a 29x2.2" tire at 50psi and a 23c tire at 50 psi, the 23c tire would be significantly more comfortable (assuming you don't bottom the tire out!) The number that determines rider comfort is really casing tension which I consider to be analogous to spring rate in suspension systems. Read the two links below:
http://flocycling.blogspot.com/...u-use-less-tire.html
http://flocycling.blogspot.com/...sion-study-with.html

So why does everyone say "wider tires roll faster"? It's because they are improperly being compared at equal an equal psi. If you look at TomA's or BRR's data, it's all standardized around pressure even though wider tires at higher pressures have a higher spring rate (or are harder... however people want to deem it). You have to realize that tires are basically springs: they absorb energy when they deform and they return some of that energy when their shape returns. This is primarily driven by the tire's construction: the rubber compound, the casing, and the presence of any other materials that might absorb energy. A larger steel spring is not more energy efficient than a smaller steel spring made of the same material (both will be >99% efficient). Likewise, tires of equivalent construction will not be more or less energy efficient across different sizes*.

What larger tires allow you to do is to run a lower relative pressure with less risk of bottoming out the rim.

You are largely correct on rear tire choice: modern frames fair the rear wheel effectively and the air is pretty darn turbulent by the time it gets back there anyways.

*the caveat in this is rolling diameter. As you change rolling diameter you change how much the tire deforms and this will impact rolling resistance. However, going from a 23c to a 25c doesn't drastically change the rolling diameter and the change in rolling resistance is a % of this % such as to be so small I doubt we can measure it with commonly available tools in the cycling industry.
Quote Reply