Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Zipp 858!
Quote | Reply
http://www.zipp.com/...5wbdmu10fk2kuawgbjtk

http://www.zipp.com/...387rdikvzb1o4g78lwwu

Front Wheel - $2000
Rear Wheel - $2400

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Oct 10, 17 17:54
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 858! [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how long until theres recall? ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And a real bargain at only $4400 for the pair.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by mike s [ In reply to ]
Re: Zipp 858! [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a great deal! Carbon wheels only for 4400$!!!!!!

Stay home, stay healthy.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 858! [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
Ridiculous isn’t it? Stupid gimmick if you ask me. Some sucker will eat these up.

My thoughts exactly. Maybe zipp didn't get the memo that triathlon is losing steam, and people are getting smarter with their money and get similar results with other aero wheels.
Over 4k retail for 2 freaking wheels for a BIKE!

You can buy a whole lot of car for that, and they come with 4 wheels!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd love to see a proper tunnel test of the 454 and 858. I recall reading about the science behind adding tubercles about 10-15 years ago. They were being considered for marine props, submarine control surfaces, wind turbine blades, etc. I don't know if they ever found an real-world applications due to their cost of implementation but the science was/is real. I'd be curious to ride them real world as well. I think their idea of shedding air more frequently would make a deep front wheel less twitchy.

All that said, they're out of their mind with their price point. Even if they're just trying to use it as an "anchor" for the rest of their product lineup...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 858! [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I think their idea of shedding air more frequently would make a deep front wheel less twitchy.

All that said, they're out of their mind with their price point. Even if they're just trying to use it as an "anchor" for the rest of their product lineup...

I got blasted for shitting in the $3200 price point of the 404nsw when it came out.

If you want a less twitchy front wheel buy a 404 or 303.

This is the 3rd generation of new wheels that Zipp hasn't even tried to market as faster - but they keep getting more expensive!!

Firecrest - peak aero
Firesrike - same but firecrest now worse spokes/cheaper
NSW - not faster but actually stop (way more $$)
454/858 - lol fuck you. Also whales

Every wheel in the future: firecrest with different name and disc brakes. Also more $$ even though they can make cheaper rims with no brake tracks.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

They'll be recalled due to a cracked hub or something
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 858! [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Max width is only 24.4... Here we go in the other direction again.

Finally a comment that is not about the price... not that I think I'd pay $4K on a wheelset these days but it sucks when the whole discussion about a product is on its price !

24.4 yeah, and that's for the front, rear specs indicate 23.7mm max width for the rear ! Which means... differenciated front and rear rim ! That's interesting ! What's even more interesting is that for the disc version of that same wheelset rims max width is 23.7mm bot front and rear, so the 24.4mm wide rim is actually only RIM BRAKE FRONT.
And 23mm tires I guess (hope Zipp will chime in here or somewhere else at some point) and NO TUBELESS when all their other wheels launched lately (NSW disc brakes) were tubeless.

Does it mean that when they have fastest speed possible in mind they "still" develop around a narrower rim with 23mm Conti tire and a latex tube ?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 858! [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone must have a GIF of the Fonz waterskiing.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 858! [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
And a real bargain at only $4400 for the pair.

It's usually my job to be the first one to mock the price of a new Zipp wheelset in a BryanD new Zipp wheelset post. :-)

What follows is usual Zipp fanboy bullshit.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 858! [pyf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pyf wrote:
Finally a comment that is not about the price.

It's hard to not just comment on the price when a fucking wheelset will cost one over $4,700 after sales tax. That's beyond absurd. I'm all for buying expensive and stupid shit but c'mon.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Good catch. So lets look at all of this:

Zipp 808 FC Carbon Clincher:

Front
Max Width: 27.5 mm
Brake Track Width: 24.73 mm

Rear
Max Width: 27.5 mm
Brake Track Width: 24.73 mm

Zipp 808 NSW Carbon Clincher:

Front
Max Width: 27.8 mm
Brake Track Width: 26.4 mm

Rear
Max Width: ??? (probably same as the front.... zipp website doesn't say)
Brake Track Width: 26.4 mm

Zipp 858 NSW Carbon Clincher:

Front
Max Width: 24.4 mm
Brake Track Width: ??

Rear
Max Width: 23.7
Brake Track Width: ??

Is possible that zipp's website is wrong and is listing the brake track width as the max width for the 858?

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Oct 11, 17 4:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:
Firecrest - peak aero

That made me laugh.

The thing about Zipp is that with this constant change/"innovation", you're left thinking that they are deliberately gouging the market by drip feeding small incremental changes ("What, Zipp? Surely not!").
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:

Firecrest - peak aero

I lol'd!
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 858! [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like they wanted to show up Enve on who can have the most expensive wheel set. Like a few others have said, I'm all for having expensive stuff, and sexy wheels that make you faster, but at that price it needs to include road side service to fix flats for at least two years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Interesting.

If that's not an error, the 858 might end up being the fastest front wheel available. Visualize a deep front wheel as if you were looking at the aerofoil section from above. Total drag is the result of both the area of high pressure "pushing" the front of the tire and the area of low pressure "pulling" from behind the rim. In years past both Zipp and HED moved toward wider and wider rims (along with Bontrager, Roval, and plenty of other credible manufacturers that likely did ground up research). My guess is that doing so traded a relatively small increase in high pressure at the front of the tire for a relatively large decrease in low pressure behind the rim (especially at yaw). Perhaps Zipp's "hyperfoils" actually do what they say and manage the area of low pressure behind the rim thus allowing them to move back toward a narrower profile.

That said, they're not offering up any aero data which isn't encouraging.

The only thing that's likely left in aero gains is to design an entire bike from the tire back (tire, rim, and frame acting as a system). Maybe Specialized will give that a go with the next Shiv.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 858! [JT_Dennen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still think Lightweight has them beat for $$$$$ wheelset, but damn....$4800 for a set of wheels. There are quite a few solid complete tri bikes (including aero wheels) for that price. Complete waste of money in my mind unless you are already near 5 w/kg @FTP and have no more gains to be made via training.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 858! [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
Someone must have a GIF of the Fonz waterskiing.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, almost $5K for wheels?! If you have the means I'm happy for you... but too $$$ for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 858! [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Interesting.

If that's not an error, the 858 might end up being the fastest front wheel available. Visualize a deep front wheel as if you were looking at the aerofoil section from above. Total drag is the result of both the area of high pressure "pushing" the front of the tire and the area of low pressure "pulling" from behind the rim. In years past both Zipp and HED moved toward wider and wider rims (along with Bontrager, Roval, and plenty of other credible manufacturers that likely did ground up research). My guess is that doing so traded a relatively small increase in high pressure at the front of the tire for a relatively large decrease in low pressure behind the rim (especially at yaw). Perhaps Zipp's "hyperfoils" actually do what they say and manage the area of low pressure behind the rim thus allowing them to move back toward a narrower profile.

That said, they're not offering up any aero data which isn't encouraging.

The only thing that's likely left in aero gains is to design an entire bike from the tire back (tire, rim, and frame acting as a system). Maybe Specialized will give that a go with the next Shiv.

It has to be a typo. Max width on the 454 is 27.8mm both front and rear. No way the 858 is only ~24mm.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Have a look at the profile, that max width is the maximum width of the brake track.
I have not seen the 858 but have played with the 454 version and they are proper wide, 23mm tyres look quite absurd on them.
Quote Reply

Prev Next